• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This could be exciting...

AMGeneral

Thought I would post a few more pics of "The Bomb" back in 1989 when it was getting some work done, plus a few more of the other M37s keeping it company,enjoy!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Mthirtyseven

The wife knew, and I told her it would be a great project for me and the (future) kids. Any advice on getting parts for the 251? I like the hotrod idea. But basic parts like plugs is a hassle to get through traditional automotive stores.

Danger Ranger

Subscribed. :jumpin: Correct me if I am wrong, but the Canadian M37s had 251s, did they not? If so, then it won't be too far out of the ordinary then, while still not common. Great saves all the way around. Its fun to see these trucks change hands over the years.

PS- the white one didn't get any prettier did it? :-D:roll:

MDSA

Got the M37 off the trailer today after work. First I aired up all the tires. Compare first to last. I did one oops while airing; I forgot to take the left front binder off and got the chain VERY tight before I realized what was happening.

While waiting for my son to get here from work, I went through the cab and bed looking for trasure. There's about 15 years of leaves in this M37 to look under. Didn't find much: a rotten, rusty pickax (hope it's military issue), a water pump, the lens for the left front marker light - did not expect to find that (see 4th pic), a few miscellaneous pieces of body, braces or supports. And a ton of garbage thrown in the bed over the years.

Pulled the M37 off the trailer with the Deuce. No brakes on the M37, but she couldn't go far after rolling down the ramps. Clutch doesn't seem to work either. She'll go in gear to stop but pushing in the clutch does not disengage - she has to be taken out of gear. I park everything DOWN behind the house, so we used about 100' of cable to let the M37 go ahead of the deuce. Worked fine. Then we used the other M37 to pull her in place. Too busy for pics of everything.

Now the real work begins. Supposed to be a mild winter in NC, so hopefully will get a lot done.

Attachments

Mthirtyseven

Update:
Went over and swapped out the driver's side rear tire. Swept out the bed, cleaned out the leaves and rat nests out of the cab. Overall, I am pleased with the condition of the cab. No holes/rusted out places on the floorpans or seat area. Having my doubts about the engine: too much to do. Found the tag under the hood on the top of the cowl, numbers read 4910235028, can anyone help identify? Also found a couple of oddities. There were four or five pieces of canvas laying in the cab. They measured roughly 2' x 3-1/2'. On first inspection I thought it might be some sort of canvas cover, but there are two oval plexiglass 'windows' on each side and the in the middle is an opening with a roll down canvas piece. But the middle opening has slots, it's not completely open. There are about four pieces like this and one that is smaller, what the heck are these? Also found a metal box with a couple of long hoses attached to each end with 6 or 7 pin connectors. Inside the box is what looks like a heat-sink. Would have taken pictures but I forgot the camera battery. It was still on the charger at home. Took some sheet metal and the driver's door off so I can work on them here at the house. Let me know if you guys can explain those cowl numbers for me.

Mthirtyseven

Update after Spring Break

Had a few days over spring break to work on the M-37. Took off the front fenders, hood, grill, doors, cab top, seats. Basically, all that is left on the frame is the cab and bed. Noticed an interesting bracket on top of the cowl in front of the vent. It is in one of the pics, can anyone tell me what it is for? I also carefully removed the head bolts in order but could not get the head to budge. Still no indication as to the engine turning over or not. Can't wait until summer to get the bed and cab off and work on the frame. Looking forward to alot of sanding/grinding/painting.

The hood registration numbers start with 3d, does anyone know what that stands for?

Attachments

Mthirtyseven

Well Dwight, nothing inspired me more than going to that MV rally in Denton. It was like a shot of OD adrenaline. I couldn't wait to get home and work on my MV.

Mthirtyseven

Update

I bought the brown truck from Brian that was rescued back in January. It had many parts that I needed for the white one, however, the more I looked at it the more I decided on fixing it up instead. All has gone well with the body work and paint. I like the wwII lusterless. The only problem I am running into is the engine and trans. Have filled the engine with mystery oil, trans will only move into 1st and 2nd gears, and the ignition switch WILL NOT move. The 251 in the other truck was said to be running back in '95, but it is a longer block and has no starter. My problem now is, do I continue to try to get the 230 started, or do I swap it out for the 251/trans combo? The 251 trans is in great shape, but I am worried about the motor mount position. The 230 has a starter, but I believe it would not work with the 251 because of the difference in flywheels. The amount of work is also troubling. Thoughts or suggestions?

Attachments

onegmjack

Is the 230 locked up?Can you turn it over? You could get the 230 running,mite loosen up the transmission.If it were me I would see if the engine in the brown one would run,if it don't you could always put in the other.Find another motor or rebuild it.

Mthirtyseven

Jacked up the rear axle to pull the wheel off the ground, tried turning the wheel by hand, very stiff and no give. Have not put a battery on to try to turn it over.

Tanner

Just catching up on this older thread... Brandon could have put a better quality tire on the left rear of the white truck... :mrgreen:

'Tanner'

Danger Ranger

Bump...

Bump for updates...anything happening here?

I just skimmed through the whole thread and I am still a bit creeped out by the person in the windshield reflection in this pic...It looks just like me, seriously camo hat, JD shirt and all...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks