• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This truck is so BAD A..!!!! I'm in LOVE....

M920

Can you take pictures of that?
I have heard this a couple times, but haven't seen the pictures yet.

Hammer,

The next time I will have the tires off, I'll take some pics of the brake drum modification needed to install the HEMMT wheels on the front of a M916-M920 and poste them here.
Other then that, it seems that this truck is built to run the big 16.00 R 20's! The brakes have no problem slowing the 25,000# tractor down in a hurry. Nothing rubs anywhere, the front tires clear all the steering components and springs (did I mention it turns really sharp for a live front axle?) I could even leave the quarter fenders on the front of the rear boggie in place! Oh and as I mentioned before, there is plenty of clearance between the two rear tires (3-4")

Ok....so I will quit driving the auction prices up now....Lol ;-)

But there where like 8 or 10 of the Allison M916 trucks in the GL auction lot that I got this one from and apparently no one from this site has come forward and claimed that they got one..... So not sure where they went.... I'm afraid that they might be getting parted out for the transmissions...

Anyway....so I just wanted to make sure that you guys are aware of the fact that there are some of these "bad Boys" out there....:beer:
Soni

Hammer

M920 said:
Hammer,

The next time I will have the tires off, I'll take some pics of the brake drum modification needed to install the HEMMT wheels on the front of a M916-M920 and post them here.
Soni
Thanks Soni, that would be great.

Last edited:

reb87

Ill be grinding down my m920 in the next few days, Ill get some pics posted, here is how I did my m919...
my m919 truck with the hemtt rims? I had to grind down the valve stems and I pulled the driveshaft to the rear and started the truck and ran it in front wheel drive with the wheels off and front jacked up. Then I used a body grinder to "turn" the inboard side of the brake drums down. I had to take off about 1/4" for rim clearance...It would be better if you took off the brake drums and had them lathe turned but the grinder worked good for me and was a lot less labor/time intensive

M920

so im curious what are mpgs? is it too bad?

and you still havent let us in on how much you got it for.....

Well....I have not really checked it accurately but I would guess its around 5.5 - 6 MPGs.

The winning bid on GL was in the early six's, but with the buyers fee and FET and whatever else they rape you for.... it ended up beeing a little more..... :)

Slicks

So let me know what you guys think about this combo....

Here are a few pics of it with the 16.00 R 20's....

Soni

p.s. I'm modifying the spare tire carrier to accomodate a full size spare!
The first mod on the original carrier would be a bigger winch...lol That one on there now might only be able to lift the spare off my dodge. It was real good at letting the spare down though:idea:

You got me thinking I bought the wrong truck.....I started thinking that the day I went out and checked out mine, then looked at the other M916 that was left by itself. Guess I will just be doing more of this:driver:in my truck....

Jason

Trango

It's a "normal" style dropout and pinion location.

Soni
Nice. That's what is killing me on my 5 ton build - clearing that massive M800 series 5 ton pinion means that I needed to create some very large vertical separation between the axle and engine.

Thanks,
Bob

466Navastar

GREAT LOOKING TRUCKS !

2 questions

how does one deduce that a M916 is USMC with the allison and lockers and not a std m916

what did you use for that great looking replacement grill and what was the "sleeper box" on the HETS look alike M916 before you put it on your truck-----LOVE that truck

I would think with all the work you already put in the HETS clone the allison fron the new truck would be going in THAT truck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks