• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Threw a Torque Rod today

TCD

Thanks Tom!

Do you happen to have any info and a picture of the civilian joint you found?

I'm also wondering if anyone has a real good idea of exactly how much space is necessary to allow for flex?

Also, if anyone around Cincinnati has an extra dog bone or two let Tom or myself know, I might be able to get it to him.

I used two of these:

http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/torodendfor51.html

You can see that there is a lip on the outside of the insert to prevent the dog bone from slipping over and off the insert.

Thanks for the help with locating another dog bone!

Tom

162tcat

Those appear to be a ball joint. I wonder what application they are from, probably way cheaper if we were able to find out. Then they could be purchased at the auto parts store

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

TCD

Howdy simp5782,

The parts were unmarked and I am under the impression from conversations with Eric that he may be having them made... I have not found any direct replacement for Eric's part myself.

Tom

162tcat

Howdy simp5782,

The parts were unmarked and I am under the impression from conversations with Eric that he may be having them made... I have not found any direct replacement for Eric's part myself.

Tom
It's unlikely they could have them custom made and sell them at that price. It's most likely some stock application that someone took the time to look up. Anyone work at an autoparts store? Most likely from a medium duty truck application.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Torque rod inserts are made by new star more than likely. Thru distributor S&S on my end. They are $103 each my cost if i buy just two. I will have their part number by Monday. Showing a torque insert gone on my truck but still lasted 4000miles. 20170320_182539.jpg20170320_182554.jpg20170320_182543.jpg20170320_092738.jpg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

162tcat

So your going to swap them to the ball joint style as the old bushing type fail? I'm curious to see your results since you rack up a lot of miles.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So your going to swap them to the ball joint style as the old bushing type fail? I'm curious to see your results since you rack up a lot of miles.

Replacing 2 torque rods this week. Two next then the last 2 in a few weeks. I am also going to a 4 link system is my plan

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting design and looks light years better for Safety. Even though a ball joint stud can fail/break it seems less likely than the rubber bushing failing and the arm popping out.

At least the lip of the ball joint would keep the joint in place.

Does the flat face of the ball joint where the grease fitting screws in have any markings or numbers? It really does not look like an aftermarket automotive/truck ball joint with that taper and flat rubber boot that I recall.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Torque rod inserts are made by new star more than likely. Thru distributor S&S on my end. They are $103 each my cost if i buy just two. I will have their part number by Monday. Showing a torque insert gone on my truck but still lasted 4000miles. View attachment 672091View attachment 672092View attachment 672093View attachment 672094

Any price break for 12 at a time?

Guess I should wait to see how they hold up for you though...;)

162tcat

Any price break for 12 at a time?

Guess I should wait to see how they hold up for you though...;)
As long as they are greased occasionally and aren't made from low quality materials, they should last almost forever with the use that 99.9% of these trucks get. I'm sure somebody may wear them out but it will likely be from lack of maitenance.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Interesting design and looks light years better for Safety. Even though a ball joint stud can fail/break it seems less likely than the rubber bushing failing and the arm popping out.

At least the lip of the ball joint would keep the joint in place.

Does the flat face of the ball joint where the grease fitting screws in have any markings or numbers? It really does not look like an aftermarket automotive/truck ball joint with that taper and flat rubber boot that I recall.
No juan. No numbers only a small star on it. Otherwise its bare. The cost of it told me it wasnt custom. They also weigh 12lbs each. I guess a guy named Henry years ago made something similar and tried to sell them to memphis equipment and they didnt want to go that route.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if it was a typical ball joint in another application, I don't think you will beat that price. Crawl under your truck, for a refresher on the size of these things!

74M35A2

Thanks Tom, it is helpful. Sorry I did not check all references before posting, even this thread fully. Sometimes when something of this nature happens it can be an immediate oh s%#t moment.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks Tom, it is helpful. Sorry I did not check all references before posting, even this thread fully. Sometimes when something of this nature happens it can be an immediate oh s%#t moment.
Its ok. Swamp, jeff and I all agree that you were probably as scared as a little kid who just broke his mom favorite thing

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang, tough crowd! Ive been dreading this scenario, how did you throw yours? Gimpyrob also had some cool drilled and tapped ends on his deuce at Haspin, sounds like the same as Tom has. This is another thing on my to do list, that probably wont happen until it "HAPPENS"...

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think about this thread topic every time I drive my M925A2.
They all look great so I think I will work on a retention method instead of replacement.

Heavy gauge flat washer welded in center most likely. There isn't much lateral force on these so that should be fine.
I've seen several trucks here on SS that have done just that.

Drill and tap would be great, but I'm not taking them off to do that.
That would be a nightmare in itself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks