• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Throwin' $2000 at the Green Bomb

partime

This goes out to everyone that has a dependable daily driver. Recently purchsed M1009 and had a smile on my face for 7 days then starter relay bit me in the blank blank blank. Like the blazer so much I sold my '64 Chevy pickup. I have $2000 so I need to spend it wisely. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
6.5s and 6.2s are going cheap on the one auction site, might try to pick one up. Trans, Tcase, and rad are the only other big ticket items I can think of off hand. Heck look for a parts truck.

GoldComet6

Hey partime....

I'd spend it on making the truck as reliable and dependable as possible. Add all new brake parts, replace questionable seals, put on new tires & add a spare if needed, belts, hoses, clean out radiator, new relays, new glow plugs, etc. Whatever it needs......

If it's your daily driver, I would focus on the things that would give you trouble or cause you to be stranded. You can't make a truck 25 years old 100% reliable, but you can eliminate as many things as possible that could cause the truck to quit and make you walk home.

Keep some funds in reserve in case something comes up and you need to fix it fast.

:driver:

lavarok

Don't convert to 12v! You wont be able to slave start your deuce(s).....

If you havent done the Doghead relay mod - do it! Its the first thing I do to all my CUCVs. I've heard too many horror stories about what happens when it goes bad.

Sgt Hulka

P.S. I don't have any trouble with the 24v relay because it's now on a shelf in the garage. Don't need it. But I love the big wire that used to energize it and I use now for 12v accessories...

firecontrol86

1) Do the cheapest easiest stuff first.
i'm starting about at square one like you with my new m1009. easy and cheap is definitely key. i'm looking at anything rubber that's rotted off from sitting, brakes for sure, suspension bushings, insulating the interior, tracing wiring to make sure it's not ghetto rigged. this is my first american project but i'm looking at it like any other-reliability comes first, then performance

bubba_got_you

buy something other than a Shi++y...i mean Chevy. lol i would rewire it but that's just me. for a dd you might want to just do an overhaul of the motor. there is a reason they are sold with only 6000 miles on them lol

notsosanestan

why do we need a banks turbo in our trucks? like is there in any way a lack of power in the stock configuration?
where i live in north jersey is all mountains i live in like the 3rd highest point in nj. i can see the highest point from the lake near my house. its a dog up these huge hills im debating on getting a banks but i wanna make sure everything else is good first

Last edited: