• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thz71's M1008

thz71

I only found it because i searched 4.56s on craigslist because i was looking for a rear axle for my 95. Its a 1985 cucv M1008 with 46,000 miles it was swapped to a 355 with TRW pistons, steel crank, 590 lift cam 1.6 ratio roller rocker arms, camelback heads with 2.02 valves, Edelbrock airgap intake, and a 750 holley. It had 28 inch tires on it so i knew itd be a long drive with those and 4.56s, But it seemed like a good enough deal that i could part it out and use the axles. So me and my girlfriend drove up to rochester minnesota and bought it. I drove it all the way home at 3500 rpm and 55 mph with an intermittent death wobble. All along with the plan to part it out. But the more i drove it and towed with it the more i liked it. Has awesome power i love the built in shackle mounts and just how all around heavy a 1.25 ton truck is. So needless to say i kept it. Heres some pics of right when i got it
found these tires at auction on ford aluminum rims.
Sold the rims for scrap and bought these
loaded everything up in the race truck
got um mounted
installed
used it some to give my other trucks a break and fix some problems

Last edited:

thz71

then I started to get it ready for somthing I had always wanted to do. A Memorial day weekend offroading event. Mounted my hi lift
some storage
a solid battery hold down
Distribution block from one of my parts trucks
hardwired an inverter in
mag light mount
fixed a hole in the floor

Last edited:

nyoffroad

Looks pretty good, I would've cheated on the trip home and took along a pair of larger tires for the rear axle. I just can't drive 55!

thz71

headed out (I took the 35s off the 95 so it'd pull better on the 7 hour round trip)
it was a good/ frustrating time. I was by far the most stock truck there and got stuck 4 or 5 times
stuck
stuck
stuck

Last edited:

thz71

last stuck. This one truck got messed up pretty good. Slid in and landed on my side I drove back and forth for a couple minutes laying on my side till I finally popped up and out and high centered. Pretty well destroyed the box and drivers door grenaded the steering gear box and ruined the exhaust and crushed the passenger header flat interior door handle no longer works.
way home
after about 4 car washes
popped alot of the dents out
realized that wasn't going to work

Last edited:

thz71

Installed
ordered a winch
received
new headers
needed lift so I decided instead of just bolting on some generic lift kit I would get somthing that would actually do more more than just be able to fit big tires like flex etc. So I decided to go with a diy4x b-52 kit to 52" swap and a zero rate with ORD crossover steering for the front. For the rear went with an ORD shackle flip and zero rate for the rear. The 52s I'm using
beat cut drilled torched and hammered the old bushings and sleeves out
ground the rust out of the contact patches on the leaves
painted them

Last edited:

thz71

Ordered uhmw for inbetween the leaves

Shackle flip

B-52 kit and shackles

Zero rates
started tearing into the rear. Tires off
Cut the old shackles off big pita
cleaned up the frame

Last edited:

thz71

New shackle on
zero rates in moved the axle back 1.5 inches
you can really see how much it moved it back here
shackle bolted up
exhaust brackets and shocks off
all done

Last edited:

thz71

Got about 6"s
Started on the front
Bye tires
Bye bumper
Bye 60
Bye sway bar
Had to use the hi lift to get the body off the mounts

Last edited:

thz71

front leaves brackets shackles and body mounts off.

Girly friend help in clean up the 60

As clean as its getting

Primer
first couple coats
frame cleaned
primer

Last edited:

thz71

paint
]putting my leaves together with my fancy new UHMW
zero rate on
paint
welded these clamps on

Old pitman arm off the 2wd steering box

What ended up left of the headers

Pulled the driveshaft out
to get these cut off

Last edited:

thz71

Flatbed is starting to get full of old parts

Ordered 2 inch body lift pucks for it.

Headers needed to be clearance for the water temp sensor

Got um on
little shorter than my old ones so I'll have to redo the exhaust
tried my hand at clearancing the drive shaft. Before
after
b-52 brackets mounted. Broke a bolt so I need to get one
Had to drill out the shackle holes and repaint
Took all the body bolts out. 2 nuts broke loose so I had to cut 2 holes in the floor

Last edited:

thz71

Went into town yesterday got new oil filter (I crushed the old one removing the old headers). New plugs a bunch of various bolts for it. Today I put new energy suspension bushings in the springs and hung them
Put in the plugs and am going to have to do somthing about this one
new wix oil filter. Replaced the bolt I broke off for the brackets. Got my new kingpin springs and bushings
new stainless brake lines

Did king pin springs and bushings old ones didn't look bad so I doubt that was my problem. Got my new steering arm on and moved the cap to the drivers side.
Had to cut up the u bolt plates quite a bit because of the zero rate. Also had to drill out the pass side spring pad for the center pin.
got the wrong u bolt for the pass side

Last edited:

evldoer

Project is looking good. I like the way that flat bed looks. I think you will get more use out of the truck that way.
Keep the pics coming when you get back to the front.

thz71

rachet strap till I can get a new one
other side with u bolts all torqued and good to go
didn't like the shackle angle so I moved the front spring eye forward on hole in the b52s. Thinking im going to have to get a new front driveshaft made but we'll see. Got a new u bolt and got that buttoned up
crossover installed
passenger side brake line on I bent the drivers side bracket around to work. Broke the hard line off on the passenger side. So yet more brake work.
body lift on
to do list getting shorter
just a couple buddies hanging out

Last edited:

Chaski

Is that a Steiner tractor behind the CUCV? What are your plans for steering? Going to move the front axle foward at all? Plan on replacing your kingpins to kill the death wobble?

thz71

Deleted this crap

In favor of this

Half the exhaust out

Rims and tires on
shackle angle (very happy with it
Ran a new passenger side front hard brake line and a reward rear hard brake line, then worked for an hour or more on bleeding the brakes still nowhere near where I want them but I have no leaks yet so that good.
Knocked a couple dents out

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks