• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tiger stipe camo pattern

macm715

tiger stripe camo;
does anyone know where a guy could get a pattern for the vet. style tiger stripe camo for a 67 m715

Elwenil

Tiger stripe was a pattern used on BDUs, not vehicles thought there are similar patterns out there from other nations. M715s were one of two shades of OD Green for either Army or Marines. The one I have was in service with a NG unit long enough to get the 4 color camo pattern in the mid 70s.

67Beast

Yep, 4 color MERDEC is the only other real choice for a m715 other than single color semi-gloss. M715's were phased out before NATO 3 color camo was used. Some units did paint vehicles in unauthorized patterns, but those are few and far between and without a photo to go by it would all be a guess. Here is a link to the 4 color MERDEC pattern on a m715 (note that the pattern is mistakenly called a 3 color pattern) http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=cammo

Elwenil

It's really not an effective pattern, at least not any where that I have been in the US. Maybe it did work in Vietnam but around here the best pattern is still the old woodland or USMC MARPAT. ACU shows up like you are a ghost in the woods, works minimally in dry grass. Russian Kamyish is also a very effective pattern in this area but I have never seen the use for Tiger in the US except for nostalgia. The desert tiger print seems to work ok, but not quite as good as the old 3 color pattern.

As for the vehicle patterns, I love the look of the new 3 color NATO pattern but I believe the older 4 color pattern to be more versatile. I think we are once again drifting further away from concealment in favor of ease of identification.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember Uncle Ted's zebra-stripe Bronco! That was Dec 1990 Four Wheeler magazine cover truck, I believe, I have the issue in storage. Zebra interior as well, with a gun and bow rack, too. Very Ted!

What is ACU?

ACU is the acronym for Army Combat Uniform or Advanced Combat Uniform, to make it different from BDUs (Battle Dress Uniform) or DCUs (Desert Combat Uniform). It's the Army's answer to the Marine's new digital camoflage, so that now each branch of the service has a different uniform in the combat zone. But the OLD BDUs and DCUs will still be there because we're GIVING those to all the friendlies. (the baddies are BUYING theirs surplus). No longer can you just shoot at all the colors that are different from yours.

The F-16 picture is close to the ACU or Marine Digital pattern. BTW, I think the worst thing about the ACUs is all the velcro. Noise discipline my behind!

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

DMgunn

I remember when that issue of Four Wheeler came out - it was very thick because they had christmas shopping "suggestions" in there back then.....I was reading it covertly in my room (was supposed to be cleaning) and got caught........my mom tore in completely in half up to the spine and threw it away........I am still hurting from the loss - it's one of the few issues I don't have.

Regarding the ACU, is it just me, or does it look faded? It doesn't strike me as a very effective color combination for the real world.

Elwenil

ACU, pictured below, does look sort of faded. I understand that it is meant to be a dual purpose uniform and to be used just about anywhere, but that is the weak point I think. In dark areas it almost seems to "glow". I believe that it was designed more to be different and perhaps be less detectable to electronic means, but I think it fails miserably when trying to conceal a soldier from the naked eye. The whole point is to break up the easily recognizable human shape and make you blend in with your surroundings. The "digital" pattern doesn't look like anything out there in the real world and seems to stand out against a natural background when viewed from within 30 yards or through optics. It may work well in the desert environment and perhaps in a rural setting, but as a be-all-end-all camouflage pattern, it is failing miserably in my mind. The good side is that I am picking up tons of Woodland BDU and 3 color DCU uniforms and MOLLE II gear super cheap since it is being phased out. The bad news is that companies like Specialty Defense Systems aren't going to be making it anymore and that makes replacements and repair parts hard to find.

Bigbee, thanks for the clarification on the ACU, I knew it was something Combat Uniform, but couldn't remember exactly. I too agree that the Velcro is a bad idea. I can deal with the patches and so forth but pockets? That's just plain dumb. Apparently our black ops guys will be wearing something else and I would hope anyone behind enemy lines would have quieter gear. Besides, you can sew on a button in the field, how the hell do you fix Velcro when it wears out?

Attachments

N1265

when I was at Camp Pendelton in 84 - 85 we had a tiger striped M880..... 3 color, two dark greens and black.

It looked good to me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks