• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tiny Tach is in!

whatsagoodalias

I've been running the tiny tach for about 6 months and I love the thing. For those of you looking to install one, I found that there was just enough room to the left of my battery gauge to flush mount the tiny tach from the rear. Of course, I could have had a cleaner cut and maybe some allen head bolts for a more Mil-spec look, but it gets it done.

Attachments

dunedigger

I've been thinking about a tach for awhile. I did some more research on this one and I'm sold. Just ordered one. I found a few threads in diesel forums where they were testing the accuracy in shops and only found one report as far off as 5 rpm. Thanks for posting this.

dunedigger

I installed my tiny tach today, just thought I would throw some numbers out there. Not sure it's accuracy but at idle I'm 670rpm and 636 in drive at idle. Using my gps at 55mph i'm at 2850rpm and about 2620 at 50, varries a little bit, hard to hold the gps at a perfect speed and pay attention to the tach. My speedo and gps seem to be the same at 35 and then slightly off at faster speeds. When I'm 50mph on the gps is about 54 on the gauge. Stock M1008 with stock 235/85/16 coopers. I used the randy's rpm calculator and I'm on average about 120rpms over the calculator.

JDToumanian

Ok wow, you are getting to what I have been looking for to put in my gama goat, which has a 3 cyl diesel.
That Tiny-Tach won't work on a Gama Goat because the Detroit 3-53 doesn't have injection lines.... The injectors are directly driven by a cam lobe so there is nowhere to put the Tiny-Tach pickup/sensor. Try an ISSPRO tach, they are triggered by a little magnet that you epoxy to the harmonic balancer and an inductive pickup that mounts under an oil pan bolt and senses the magnet rotating by....

ISSPRO Product Categories

Jon

Brad M

Ok mine arrived in the mail yesterday and I have a question for someone who has already put one in. How do you get the red and white wires with connectors through the firewall grommet without tearing the bejesus out of them or the grommet? The ground clip on the white wire is not going to make it... Wish they had left them off and I put them on after.

Thanks in advance for any help/advise from someone who has already done this.

I don't mean to knock this tach but I would rather mod the vacuum pump shaft and run a mechanical tach.

Has no one in the past thought of this ?

I run a Vertex Mag with a shaft drive tach on my M1028 that's where the thought came from.

And then there is always the tach stud on the back of the 100A alternators.

motormayhem

I also have one next to the batt gauge and it works great. Anyone else who has this tach what does your hour meter read after 24Hours of runtime? Mine kinda went funky after that and now displays 3:54 and the numbers count up every few hours of runtime. Other than that it works great.

Attachments

Last edited:

dunedigger

Ok mine arrived in the mail yesterday and I have a question for someone who has already put one in. How do you get the red and white wires with connectors through the firewall grommet without tearing the bejesus out of them or the grommet? The ground clip on the white wire is not going to make it... Wish they had left them off and I put them on after.

Thanks in advance for any help/advise from someone who has already done this.

I poped out the gromet for the speedometer cable into the engine bay and cut a slit in it from edge to center. then sent the wires through and poped the gromet back in.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How's the refresh rate on the diesel tachs? I've got a tiny tach for a spark engine, but the response rate of the tach has always been delayed.

Brad M

Speedometer cable grommet worked great! I got it in this evening and love it. It appears to be pretty close to the RPM's listed earlier in the thread. Will have to test with GPS later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks