• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Changing Fun?

JD4044M

OK the 2 new tires are mounted! Just picked them up tonight. He had no problem doing them. Tomorrow I have a buddy coming over to help get them on the hubs! Will use my tractor loader to get them out of the bed.DSCF6113.JPG

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
JD Military tires can be a little challenging sometimes! I have an M920 20 ton semi tractor and I converted all the tires/wheels over to HEMTT rims and 1600/20 tires I did all 9 tires in my shop just me and my tractor and I will tell you right now its all in the technique in how you work with these tires, my tires with the HEMTT rims had to be 500 pounds each and dont scrimp on the soapy water and a 5 pound hammer to beat the tires as your filling with air to insure the beads are going where they are supposed to, never lay the tire down flat because they are a total B____ to pick up again! I over the first couple tires came up with a very workable way that allowed me to do it by myself although it took a good bit of time! Think about your work before doing it and you will have a system and that makes the seemingly impossible very doable!!!

JD4044M

Got them on, nice having some help and plywood to work over. Might get my new fan for the radiator by UPS?? No real problems but I need to get dome 1" pipes next time! What are the Tire Lug Nuts Torque supposed to be? I have them at 400 ft lbs right now.DSCF6114.JPG

Green Mountain Boys

TM 9-2320-365-10
3-5. CHANGING TIRE (CONT)
(15) Route other end of safety chain
(23) through flat tire (5) and
connect to spare tire retainer (20).
(16) Lower cab (para 2-22b).
f. Follow-On Maintenance.
(1) Remove wheel chocks (para 2-21h).
(2) Notify Unit Maintenance that lugnuts need
to be tightened to 425-475 lb-ft (576-644
N·m).
(3) Notify Unit Maintenance that flat tire needs
to be repaired/replaced.
(4) Notify Unit Maintenance if flat tire was
replaced on front of vehicle that kneeling
valve must be installed.
(5) Notify Unit Maintenance that banjo bolts
need to be tightened to 22-28 lb-ft (30-38
N•m).
End of Task.
3-86

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea well im fixing to fill this S,O,B, WITH FOAM ! Again today ( 3rd time ) i pull my 1 leaking steer tire fill up a spray bottle with dawn and a little water and start rolling the tire around the driveway a few inches at a time spaying the bead and where the rim bolts togeather not the first bubble so i put the valve stem on the bottom and submerged in thick soapy water with 80 lbs of air in the tire and just get really small foam around the big head going into tire so dried it all with brake clean and mixed up some jb weld and put it all the way around the bolt head last week i broke the tire down again tightened the valve stem inner nut and put silicone all in the whole before i put the stem back in the wheel and tightend the nut 5 days leaked 40 lbs back out so in the morning im going to air it back up and see if the jb weld helped anything ! We fill farm steer tires on the tractor sometimes with foam if were bush hogging rough thorn filled land i just wonder if it would work on these 395s ?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yea well im fixing to fill this S,O,B, WITH FOAM ! Again today ( 3rd time ) i pull my 1 leaking steer tire fill up a spray bottle with dawn and a little water and start rolling the tire around the driveway a few inches at a time spaying the bead and where the rim bolts togeather not the first bubble so i put the valve stem on the bottom and submerged in thick soapy water with 80 lbs of air in the tire and just get really small foam around the big head going into tire so dried it all with brake clean and mixed up some jb weld and put it all the way around the bolt head last week i broke the tire down again tightened the valve stem inner nut and put silicone all in the whole before i put the stem back in the wheel and tightend the nut 5 days leaked 40 lbs back out so in the morning im going to air it back up and see if the jb weld helped anything ! We fill farm steer tires on the tractor sometimes with foam if were bush hogging rough thorn filled land i just wonder if it would work on these 395s ?
You would have hundreds of dollars in that green foam wouldn't you? Wonder if there is a spot of rust under the seat on the valve stem? The last discussion about leaky stems was a socket that was ground to a point so it wouldn't pop off the nut. I am guessing you got the stems a new set of rubber?

Bummer for sure...

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cut a notch in all my 20-bolt wheels and run radial tubes/flaps on my M54A1.

I could never keep air in them otherwise. My wife made planters out of all the rubber inserts...

You could run by the local Guard base and see all the trucks listing one way or the other 'cause of that dumb design.

Dennis

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks