• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire changing problem....

54reo

Re: RE: studs and nuts

bottleworks said:
You have two Deuces but not the correct socket to remove the inner lugs?
I think he has 14 of them!!

I believe that "Houdel" has Budd sockets for sale still.

dm22630

bottleworks said:
You have two Deuces but not the correct socket to remove the inner lugs? Might want to buy all the needed tools before you need them on the side of the road.
I thought that I did until yesterday. I thought there was another lugnut in between the two wheels. I haven't ever seen a square socket or budd wrench before. ;)

54reo said:

Yeah I do.... rofl

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

54reo said:
bottleworks said:
You have two Deuces but not the correct socket to remove the inner lugs?

I believe that "Houdel" has Budd sockets for sale still.
Lee's combo sockets won't do much good for this problem. Need to drive the thimble separately from the nut.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: studs and nuts

When the inside square lugs come loose, while removing the outside lug, its often, but not always, a symptom of improper torquing, in the 1st place. Then use the "pork chop" to hold the outside one, while you tighten the inside. Then remove the outside.

When working on Budd wheels, anything less then a 1" drive impact, is wishful thinking. If you get by with less, its a symptom of improper torquing. The wheels might stay on, while in parades, etc, but if you work the truck, with loads, etc., they can come loose. It makes a mess, that usually ends up requiring a torch, to get things apart!

The EXCEPTION, to the 1" impact, is the Budd Lug Wrench, with SIX feet of cheeter pipe! Its a lot of work, but that is all we had, growing up. When tightening, they are not tight, until they "POP". You'll know what that means, when using one! It often means, bouncing all your weight, on the end of the cheeter pipe.

If you lugs are dinged some - you can't screw them on by hand, I replace them with new.

Lee in Alaska

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: studs and nuts

Also, sometimes these trucks haven't had the wheels off in a while and they have been painted. If soldier B painted the wheels, chances are it got gooped onto the lug nuts and thimble threads. If you try to remove the nuts, and they bind up, STOP! Reverse the rotation, clean the threads with a with brush and a pick, squirt some panther pee pee on it and try again. You should look into the BII stuff for your trucks BEFORE you need them. 2cents

toddm

I heat the outer nuts red hot with a torch then it comes off easily, without turning the inner stud/nut. My plow truck at work has this exact set-up and this works for me. Thanks Todd

54reo

toddm said:
I heat the outer nuts red hot with a torch
This also does undesired things to the grain structure of the alloy the nut is manufactured from.

A good way to get the nut off, but I would not suggest reusing that nut.

sermis

RE: studs and nuts

I wouldn't put anything on the threads. Just wire brush the rust off.

We had a discussion about this a while back talking about wheel spacers and lug nuts. The manufactures recommend anti-seize on the studs / nuts. Main problem is to tork to proper specs and not just impact till they don’t move. They will over tighten if you keep going. Anti-seize will be your friend if you ever get them wet and they rust which seams to be the case here.