• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire choices for M818

Jared

FYI: there is a guy in Marshfield that is cheaper on wheels/ tires. PM me if you want info.

I think that's Rodney. I bought some Goodyear 14R20s from him last year. Price was very good. The truck tire place wouldn't mount one of them because there was a problem inside one of the tires. Rodney had a replacement on the road the day after I called him -- no problem.

Jared

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I maintain a consistent 60 mph in my M818 with 395/85R20 tires. 14R20 tires should yield a few mph faster (at least on the flats and downhill runs). With 16R20 tires you could hit 70mph.
I ran 62MPH by the GPS at 2100RPM with 16.00x20's on LAV rims in the M818 with the Cummins.

I do not understand how you ran 60 with shorter tires and also avoided overspeeding the engine, or how 70 would be possible with 16.00x20's.

I have the Goodyears. They are rated 55MPH at 110PSI and 17500 LBs load BTW so 60 might be OK but I am not going to push it further and find out about the engine or the tires limits.

This chart is what I have calculated by, from a spreadsheet.

As for driving, with 100PSI, they are hard riding. I don't know if it has to do with that but the steering is touchy on the highway at 50-55. The load is an M109 box, a 500 lb generator set, and a liftgate that probably adds 500 more lbs. Feels like it steers more than I turned the wheel. Have to be careful.

Toe in/out? Too much pressure? What causes handling issues? It's apparently not top heavy, just very sensitive on steering.

But I can't believe 70MPH in an M818 with 16.00x20's. 60 yes.. even 62. Not 70, it's over the redline on the Cummins..

Attachments

Last edited:

M1075

I ran 62MPH by the GPS at 2100RPM with 16.00x20's on LAV rims in the M818 with the Cummins.

I do not understand how you ran 60 with shorter tires and also avoided overspeeding the engine, or how 70 would be possible with 16.00x20's.

But I can't believe 70MPH in an M818 with 16.00x20's. 60 yes.. even 62. Not 70, it's over the redline on the Cummins..
Hi Patrick-

I tried to double check my trip numbers with a gear ratio/rpm/mph calculator. With 47" tires, 60 MPH should translate to 2155 RPM. It is quite possible that is what I was turning.

For you to only be going 62MPH with 53" tires, you would have only been turning 1974 RPMs. Something is definitely off here. Maybe it is tire size?

Obviously tire sizes can vary significantly and I can't get a precise and consistent reading from my tach. Nonetheless, I know that my tractor, as pictured about, cruises at 60 mph, stopwatch verified. Others have taken trucks with 16R20s over 70mph, but I haven't (except my Kenworth). In a 5 ton, that calculates to 2229 rpm, certainly possible.

dhatcher

that looks mighty nice... I'm in the process of loosing the fifth wheel and soft top. Plop a hard top and deuce bed on it then fab a custom camper that can be off loaded when not in use.
So how would the arrangement work out for a hard top??