• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire safey after flat

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The only actual ring failure mishap I was witness to happend back in the 70's at our motor pool in Germany.
There was no tire cage in that motor pool (this was back when we fired weapons without hearing protection) and some guys were changing a 5 ton tire out on the asphalt.
They put the tire back together and one guy put the snap ring back in place by stomping it down with his boots.
The ring was on the top side of the tire and they cliped an air chuck on the valve stem and everybody stood back while the tire inflated. There were using the air from the wrecker to do the inflation and it was taking a while for the tire to seat on the rim.
As this was going on a 5 ton tractor with a van trailer came slowly past where the tire was being inflated. Everybody had to step way back so the trailer could pass. As the trailer moved past the tire the ring blew off the tire and struck the side of the van.
It kicked up a big cloud of dust and put a big dent in the van (which was full of electronic equipment). It sounded like a grenade going off and people came running from all over the motor pool to see what happened.
The next week they had constructed a tire cage (bolted to the concrete) and failure it use it would get you an Article 15.
If that van had not been in the line of fire the ring would probably have tagged somebody.
It left enough of an impression on me that I have never tried to inflate one without some type of protection from flying rings.

nklpltd

So Hemtt rims even though they are in 2 pieces are not considered split ring? Could someone please post pics of a regular 2 piece wheel and a split rim w/ lock ring. I've never seen the difference so i'm curious.

And technically shouldn't all tires for these trucks, since they are big enough, be inflated in a cage regardless of the rims they are being put on?

jollyroger

I was just saying that I don't think the tire failures are as common as we all may think they are. Also, I don't want to find out what happens when there is a failure. Most of the failures I have heard of have been from defective equipment or improper instalation. It is very important how one works on these type of wheels. Safety first. If you question your ability to do the job ask for an expert hand or have someone else do it. Which is what the guys that have more experience than me are saying in this post. I have always had to handle my own rims because no one in my town will work on them. I take precaution by using the chain or chains around the ring, waiting five minutes to make sure the ring has seated, thumping the tire to make sure they have seated, And I always do this outside the shop in an open area where no one will be in the way with the ring pointing toward the sky.

Jake0147

So Hemtt rims even though they are in 2 pieces are not considered split ring? Could someone please post pics of a regular 2 piece wheel and a split rim w/ lock ring. I've never seen the difference so i'm curious.
http://www.cdc.gov/NIOSH/FACE/images/03ak006a.jpg

Here are two pictures of the dangerous ones. They have proper names, but you will hear the names used interchangably.
The top picture you will see the style of the factory Deuce and a half wheel, the lock ring and the outer flange of the rim are one piece. These are somewhat dangerous and need to be respected.
In the lower picture, you will see a three piece version of the same. The outer rim flange is one solid ring, held in place by a separate locking ring. These are "Widowmakers" and they demand respect.

The "other" wheel very commonly referred to as a two piece wheel or a split rim is somewhat different. These consist of bolted together wheel halfs, or else a nearly complete wheel that resembles either of the lock ring types, but instead of using a locking groove, the outer wheel flange is actually bolted to the wheel center. The danger with these (assuming all the hardware and service procedures are sound) is pretty much comperable to a standard one piece drop center wheel and tire assembly. This one looks as if someone's burning a broken stud out of one-

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34666&stc=1&d=1154894129

And technically shouldn't all tires for these trucks, since they are big enough, be inflated in a cage regardless of the rims they are being put on?
Technically... All tires should be inflated in a cage, but realisticaly it is accepted as an acceptable risk with acceptable consequenses for most automotive tires and a cage is not used. The larger the tire, and with wheels other than one piece drop center rims, you are more likely to see a cage used. In commercial use it is required.

As to the original post, either style of lock ring wheel becomes dangerous when the tire bead that should rest on top of the locking ring is dislodged from it. If the tire is 100 percent in place, inflation will be a non event. (Even as such, I must say that I am usually on the opposite side of the truck while they're inflating...) If you have not seen a rim of this style taken apart and assembled, I would strongly recommend the suggestion above. Take the first one to a pro, but first make sure that pro is willing to let you actually see what is done. having your own eyeballs on the process lets you see both how simple it is, and how critical it is that critical items not be overlooked or ignored.

Last edited:

zout

rims

Hopefully this pic from my manual from the Texas Proving grounds will attach.

Lock ring rim - it is a solid rim and then to secure the tire there is an individual ring that locks the bead onto the rim - I know my duece has this type only on the steer axle rims = rears are 1 piece rims.

2 piece rim bolts together (like a go kart rim) two halves bolt together and most likely it has a tube in it

There is yet another rim that uses "lugs" - to describe
there are usually 5 lug nuts - behind these are "wedges" that crimp onto the rim.
They are still out there and are just as dangerous.http://www.nclabor.com/osha/etta/hazard_alerts/MultiRims.pdf

Where a lock ring secures the tire onto a rim is only what I am describing and deal with these on a continual basis as well as the "wedge" type rims (on older semi trailers)

I spent 2 weeks at the Texas Proving Grounds which is an individual tire analysis facility - whatever you ever wanted to know about tires - if you pay attention you will get that education.
Also from drag racing background in the AHDRA - the Metzler program.

BUT - there is much to learn from everyone.
With our fleet I have thrown away the "cage" for our technicians safety overall - I let our contracted tire company handle the responsibility on these older style rims.

Attachments

digitaldust

I have found a place in birch run michigan for 45 i get a new tube and service on the tire
now that i have make a homebrew gladhand airline for tools i'm good to take it up there
thanks for the help

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
For 45, make sure you hang around and watch, so you can learn what you need to do next time you need to service one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks