• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tire size = mph?

tiny110

Banned
new info needed.... anyone driven there m35a2 over 65mph? if so what kind of set up do you have?

i have been looking all over and i cant seem to find the info i need anywhere. i will be getting my first MV (a deuce and a half) by the end of Aug.:smile: What im needding to know is about tire size and how many MPH a given tire will get me. And how hard is it on the truck starting and stopping with something like 46", 49" or 53" tires. im going to keep it a 6x6 and spread the axels if needed.

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
it will kill the performance. for the same or even less money you can add .69 overdrive.
certainly less work than spreading rear axles.

mph = ( rpm * radius) / ( 168 * ratio)

tom

tiny110

Banned
Yea Tom I was looking at your website yesterday. The fastest I want to go in it is 65 but I would like to be able to cruise at 65. Not having to spread the axels would be great! Everything for 200mi around me is flat so climbing a hill is not going to be a prob for me. I want to run singles on it for sure... do you thank I could run 395s with your overdrive or would that be to much? Thanx for the help...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It will be too much, plus the tires are only rated to 56mph. I've got 395's on one of my trucks.

I'd go with either the OD gears or 395's. You'll gain some "looks" with the tires. But loose some performance. The gears will allow you to cruise a little faster. But remember, the multifuel engine doesn't like to be above 2600rpm.

IMHO, get the gears or the tires and be happy to cruise at 55mph without running against the governor.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Tom's OD kit also fixes the infamous 2nd gear issues these transmissions have.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
2100 rpm with 395s and .69 od is 62 mph. it would be nice but the multifuel will never do this. otherwise the .69 offers just a very little bit more mph at any given rpm over 395s, this with 14.5r20

tom

ApopkaFL

Banned
interesting to see with the 14.5 i am changing to 1600 R20 at 50 mph ill be running 60mph. I wonder with they cat 3116 with Allison automatic , I wonder how may RPM I will turning at WOT

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
interesting to see with the 14.5 i am changing to 1600 R20 at 50 mph ill be running 60mph. I wonder with they cat 3116 with Allison automatic , I wonder how may RPM I will turning at WOT
Allison 1545 = 1:1 in top gear. So... about 61mph would equal close to 2700rpm with a 53" tall tire. (Adjusted to also account for non-lockup)

tiny110

Banned
So I have done so number crunching... If i put in the .69 overdrive and have 46" tires i would be doing 65mph at 2200rpm. Sound right? It would be the same gearing as a truck thats running 53" tires... Is there any one out there running 53" tires that has had there truck up to 65mph??? If a truck on 53" tires can do it then it sounds like the way im thinking of doing it would be better. Less tire to get going and better gearing 1st-4th. Better braking. And EZer for the truck getting up to speed. So anyone out there doing 65mph+ on 53" tires???

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget to factor in aerodynamics, mass(14000lbs) and the fact that you have less than 100hp at the wheels. You're gonna run out of power.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
So I have done so number crunching... If i put in the .69 overdrive and have 46" tires i would be doing 65mph at 2200rpm. Sound right? It would be the same gearing as a truck thats running 53" tires... Is there any one out there running 53" tires that has had there truck up to 65mph??? If a truck on 53" tires can do it then it sounds like the way im thinking of doing it would be better. Less tire to get going and better gearing 1st-4th. Better braking. And EZer for the truck getting up to speed. So anyone out there doing 65mph+ on 53" tires???
ARE you going to do anything about the BRAKES on a old 50 mph designed truck, or not worry about it. if you are looking fo 65 down the freeway go buy a civi truck

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Its M35A3 Deuce. I do not see a problem with the brakes. It may be 50 year old design but the system is not that old.
He is talking about a a2 because he is talking about changing the OD in the trans, the a3 has a AUTO

tiny110

Banned
ARE you going to do anything about the BRAKES on a old 50 mph designed truck, or not worry about it. if you are looking fo 65 down the freeway go buy a civi truck
well mister negative... im not a idiot!
im a former over the road truck driver. so i know how to drive a big truck. the brakes cant be that bad! im not wanting to load it up with 22000lb and go down the hwy at 65mph. i do all my work on all my vehicles and they are in the best running condition any time thay are out on the road. my deuse will be completely gone throught befor it will ever go out on the road. And if the brakes are that bad there are things that i can do about that. IT WILL be done right!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks