• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tire size = mph?

Varyag

I run g286s which are about 43-44 inches tall. They ride awesome, turn awesome, and do just slightly better off road then NDCCs. They run 50 (gps) while the speedo is showing 45 and really put the tranny in a sweet spot.

I was going to put the mudders on later but I think I am sticking with these. I don't do much over 50 really, unless I am convoying with Tony (man o man) so I like em because it keeps the RPM down rather then doing 60 on the HW.

Ohh yeah, better mileage and they wear like concrete.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
well mister negative... im not a idiot!
im a former over the road truck driver. so i know how to drive a big truck. the brakes cant be that bad! im not wanting to load it up with 22000lb and go down the hwy at 65mph. i do all my work on all my vehicles and they are in the best running condition any time thay are out on the road. my deuse will be completely gone throught befor it will ever go out on the road. And if the brakes are that bad there are things that i can do about that. IT WILL be done right!

Are you familiar with the brakes or brake system on an M35A2?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You should search on "brake single circuit" to learn more about why we're concerned. There's NO room for error on these trucks when it comes to brakes.

tiny110

Banned
Are you familiar with the brakes or brake system on an M35A2?
my first MV
not really
air assist brakes they are drums and they heat up quick. im taking it one prob at a time. if i cant get it up to 65mph then there is not much of a need to start thinking of a brake upgrade.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You should search on "brake single circuit" to learn more about why we're concerned. There's NO room for error on these trucks when it comes to brakes.
my first MV
not really
air assist brakes they are drums and they heat up quick. im taking it one prob at a time. if i cant get it up to 65mph then there is not much of a need to start thinking of a brake upgrade.
In any case you STILL need to read up on the brake system. Even on stock tires a line failure will place you at major risk. The parking brake WILL NOT stop these trucks. I know, I drove around for a mile last parade with mine on! The brake system is a single circuit design. And major leak or failure compromises the entire system.

tiny110

Banned
In any case you STILL need to read up on the brake system. Even on stock tires a line failure will place you at major risk. The parking brake WILL NOT stop these trucks. I know, I drove around for a mile last parade with mine on! The brake system is a single circuit design. And major leak or failure compromises the entire system.
ok guys i will read up on it... but is it possible to do what im wanting to do with the gearing? the build on this truck will not start for another 3 or 4 months. i'm just trying to come up with a game plan befor i start so that i can get it right.

Cleptomaniac

Tiny110 I am running 395s on my bobbed deuce(had them on their before it was bobbed) and I run 62mph at 2450rpm that is where she likes to run. This is using a gps for a spedo. It looks better with the big tires and as far as performance it is not really affected the bottom end!

The warnings about the brakes are not to be taken lightly! They are about the worst kind I have ever messed with. But if you do your PMs they will serve you well. I drive mine all the time.

Patracy unless you were were in low gear wit your e-brake on you should check/adjust it.
With some fast down shifting and a e-brake you can stop a deuce! Ask me how I know!!!

-Danny

tiny110

Banned
Tiny110 I am running 395s on my bobbed deuce(had them on their before it was bobbed) and I run 62mph at 2450rpm that is where she likes to run. This is using a gps for a spedo. It looks better with the big tires and as far as performance it is not really affected the bottom end!

The warnings about the brakes are not to be taken lightly! They are about the worst kind I have ever messed with. But if you do your PMs they will serve you well. I drive mine all the time.

Patracy unless you were were in low gear wit your e-brake on you should check/adjust it.
With some fast down shifting and a e-brake you can stop a deuce! Ask me how I know!!!

-Danny
im going to be putting on the 395's on first thing. yea i just dont know if i would like running it that close to red line. im reading up on the brakes now. yea its nuts. but it sounds like if you keep a eye on it and use your brain thay will be ok.

USArmyMedic07

I've got a bobber on 53's and she has been up to 72 mph. it runs fine. I turned the injector pump up a little bit, it accelerates just fine. it stops as quickly as I need it to. It cruises at 63 or so at like 2000 rpm's and gives me decent mileage. There are plenty of naysayers on here, (same guys that told me I couldn't put mine on 53's safely) and there are some with really great experience and advice. Just trial and error. Just make sure you do your due diligence on the safety items so you don't hurt anyone else. Then have FUN with your truck. Thats what this is about!

flyusn99

65mph

Tiny,
I'm running on 11.00x20 NDCC's with M-35Tom's kit and I do 60mph at around 2000rpm. Max speed I've seen at 24-2500rpm is 67mph. His kit is great and his customer service is top notch, couldn't be happier. I got the kit not to drag race the deuce but to increase the comfortable cruising speed while dropping my engine rpm, and for that my set up seems ideal. Now all I need to do it turn up the IP just a scosh. Good luck in whichever route you choose.

James

mightymanx

Why is it that every time I come into the Deuce hot rodding and modification part of this site that on every single post some one is ridiculing the poster for not keeping their vehicle stock.

Would it be OK if I go to a non-hot rodding area and continuously say "chop the frame and lift it what are you stupid" in every thread?

Heck we already have in every single thread a "do a search that was covered back in 1978." post

Do we really need "keep it stock that is not what it is intended for!!!" posts in the hot rodding and modification areas?

I know since I don't have 40,0000,00000,0000 posts (sorry I read more than post)my opinion is worthless around here but I can't keep silent on this anymore.

tiny110

Banned
Why is it that every time I come into the Deuce hot rodding and modification part of this site that on every single post some one is ridiculing the poster for not keeping their vehicle stock.

Would it be OK if I go to a non-hot rodding area and continuously say "chop the frame and lift it what are you stupid" in every thread?

Heck we already have in every single thread a "do a search that was covered back in 1978." post

Do we really need "keep it stock that is not what it is intended for!!!" posts in the hot rodding and modification areas?

I know since I don't have 40,0000,00000,0000 posts (sorry I read more than post)my opinion is worthless around here but I can't keep silent on this anymore.
AMEN BRO!rofl
i fill the same way. i have spent the last 4 months reading on here. about 3hr. a day befor i ever became a member. **** i dont even have my m35a2 yet. i guess people that feel they do not possess the ability to do what is being discussed just shoot it down.

MY ORIGINAL THOUGHT FOR THIS THREAD....

Take a m35a2 put 46" tires on it WITH m35tom's .69 overdrive.
Then you will have the same gearing as a truck with 53" tires.
But have better exceleration, breaking, and steering.
Im wanting to keep it a 6x6 so not spreading the axels is a big+.
I do plan on making it a crew cab. air ride seats and A/C too.
But befor i do all the i want a game plan.

So if anyone running 53" tires can tell me how is your exceleration is like that would be great. USArmymedic07 thanks thats the kind of info i need...

Last edited:

asgtoolman

I run 14x20's on my bobber [48"] and when on the interstate the deuce "settles in" at about 60 + mph. A 300 mile trip that I have made a couple of times took a few minutes short of 5 hours. [speedometer is about 20% off--says I am running 50 +]
I drive carefully and TRY to anticipate the idiots on the road and have never felt that I could not react/stop in an emergency.

merlot566jka

it will kill the performance. for the same or even less money you can add .69 overdrive.
certainly less work than spreading rear axles.

mph = ( rpm * radius) / ( 168 * ratio)

tom

Tom,

I tried this formula and the numbers were way off. Am I missing something?

mph= (2200 * 24.5") / (168 * .79)= 406.11

Are we talking about the final ratio after the differential? Or is it the ratio of gear in the trans?

thanks!

jerseyjeep2003

I can top out at 70 mph & 2400 RPM running 53" Mich's, but, I really don't like or advise anything over 60-65 with this tall of a tire. It handles so-so and stopping is definitely a challenge at that speed.

houdel

I don't notice that so much as I do see "Why do you want to do it YOUR way, MY way is a much better idea".

That's because those of us with 20 million posts have seen the same questions answered over and over again. There are over 15,000 threads in the Deuce forum and nearly 3,000 threads in the Deuce Mod forum. Most every topic you can think of has been covered several times. Case in point - there is a recent post in this forum asking how to turn up the fuel in the Deuce injector pump. That subject is a permanent "sticky" posting in the Deuce forum. It is the very first posting you see every time you open the Deuce forum!!! How much easier can we make it??? Why not look and see what has already been discussed and have your answer right away instead of starting another thread?

houdel

ok guys i will read up on it... but is it possible to do what im wanting to do with the gearing? the build on this truck will not start for another 3 or 4 months. i'm just trying to come up with a game plan befor i start so that i can get it right.
One thing to think about is your cruising RPM. On the Deuce the "sweet spot" is 2200 RPM. Better for engine longevity, fuel consumption and torque. A nice place to cruise if you can come up with the right combination of tires and gearing to get you there with the speed you want to cruise at.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks