• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tire size = mph?

mudguppy

i've been over 80 a couple times which is about 2600 rpm in 5th for me.

but i cruise at around 65 which is just over 2000 rpm.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When you see this headline, I hope none of all you GO FAST guys name is attached
SPEEDING Old ARMY TRUCK DOING 70 MPH KILLS MOM AND TWO KIDS"

It will really help the HOBBY.

Have any of you ever blowen a STEER TIRE ( or any tire in a bober) at even at 30, 40, 50, let alone 60, let me tell you it is a seat cushion event, now we are talken 70+, you GO FASTers can flame me all you want, you may get away with the speed for a while but it will get you in the end, there is a reason for the slogan "SPEED KILLS"

You guys that have lost a steer tire speak up

Last edited:

USArmyMedic07

I'm happy with the power of my bobber on 53's. It's no modern cummins dodge, but it moves well enough that I can keep up with traffic. Mine has the dual circuit brake upgrade from the military, and stops decent. I can lock the tires up if I stomp on the pedal at 25 or 30 mph. I'd say that's decent.

Point is, build your truck how you like, keep safety in mind but don't be afraid to engineer and test. Mine is awesome, we engineered some of it ourselves and it's working. I keep an eye on the welds and bolts and so far, so good. These trucks ate toys for grown men, so play with them dammit! Before you're too old to be able to!

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ARE these oversize tires SPEED rated for these speeds, or is 55 the speed rating ON the tire. I want to see pics as these 55 rated tires come apart at 65/70, ought to be a pretty good pic

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ron has a very good point. The 395s on my deuce are only rated at 56mph. So anything over that, you're taking a risk.

That said, these tires have a 9800+ lb rating to them. So in my case, they're only at 1/4 their weighted capacity. When I drove home sunday, I certainly was over 56mph most of the time. The tires were only slightly warm when I got home. Now, back during the middle of the summer with 100+ F temps, I could push that hard and feel the tires being HOT after a 3 or 4 mile blast.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
SPEED RATING is as important as LOAD RATING, both together and separate
With speeds higher then designed, the side walls stretch past there design limits due to centrifugal force, this leads to cord weakening and in time tire FAILURE. This happens with or without a load, though a load will help things along faster. also a tire does not need to be hot to fail

rattlecan6104

When you see this headline, I hope none of all you GO FAST guys name is attached

Have any of you ever blowen a STEER TIRE ( or any tire in a bober) at even at 30, 40, 50, let alone 60, let me tell you it is a seat cushion event, now we are talken 70+, you GO FASTers can flame me all you want, you may get away with the speed for a while but it will get you in the end, there is a reason for the slogan "SPEED KILLS"

I lost a steer tire once... mostly due to bad judgements on my part. I came around a corner on a backroad too fast for the truck and the front end began to slide. As it slid, i can only imagine that the tire started to fold over and pinched a small hole in the tube. At first it wasnt really noticeable as it was a "slow leak" ten seconds later I noticed it was pulling hard to the passenger side. An additional 10 seconds, and it was pulling even harder. About 200 Yards from the corner I have both hands on one side of the steering wheel pulling hard trying to keep the truck straight while I slowed down and pulled into a gas station.

The corner was advised at 25 mph... I hit it at 40. My stupid decision to push the truck too hard ended up with me on the side of the road with a flat, it definately could have been worse, the saving grace was there was ZERO traffic, Even before I got to the corner I could see a mile down the road on the other side of it. My flat wasnt a blowout, but it was still worse than blowouts I have had in civi trucks. The thought of a full on front tire blowout at speed is very scary after my experience. makes you think a steering stabilizer would be a good upgrade.

I personally am for getting the deuce capable of higher speeds... however not just to be able to go faster, but just to run the same speed with less stress on the rig.

mudguppy

ARE these oversize tires SPEED rated for these speeds, or is 55 the speed rating ON the tire. ...
Ron has a very good point. ....
actually, no he doesn't. in fact, he's totally wrong. the speed rating is a product of rated load at specified max ambient temperature.

since i'm away from my truck right now, can someone tell me the load rating of the 16.00's...? it's something like 20-some-thousand pounds, right? last i checked, i'm only running about 3500 lbs on each front tire. and since the tire rating is a product of heat generation due to sidewall flex from load at pressure at rate of flex (i.e. rotational speed), i'm pretty sure that 55mph no longer means jack chit.

so unless you're running near max load or above max ambient temp, the speed rating is not an instant death sentence.

Loco_Hosa

I have experienced brake failure on my own Deuce, and THANK GOD I was in a parking lot. Still terrifying.

Im not however saying you should not do as your considering. An overdrive kit and 395s sounds like 1/2 of a GREAT plan, and should put you right around that 65mph/2200rpm sweet point you want. I suggest that you try with just the tires or just the OD kit first, and see if you think you will find the other to be necessary or if 62mph feels good enough to you.

Now lets look at 2/2 of this plan. First step I would suggest is for ever $10 you put towards speed, you put AT LEAST $5 towards stopping. There are a few dirrection to go on this. You can upgrade to 6 wheel disk brakes, which is a big and awesome job. Bit pricey, and involves getting calipers off an F450 or something. OR build a second (Backup) braking system. This could be in the nature of an exhaust brake, or some kind of pinion brake.

Keep in mind, you are taking the lives of everyone else on the freeway into your hands. That is no reason to not do it, and not enjoy your own truck though. We all just want our hobbies protected. We can best to do that by taking care of our members and everyone on the streets around our members.

The main point they want to get across is that you need to check your brake fluid daily, and twice a year remove all six brake drums, thoroughly inspecting any rubber component. When they fail, the entire world seems to speed up, and life gets scary.

I aint done the math, but loading a deuce with 10,000lbs of payload (its surface street load rating) would put a lot more strain on the brakes (I would think) than than tires that are a bit taller and 10 additional MPH.

Sidebar for all you Nay-sayers. Yes, this MAY increase the load on his brakes, but didnt we have a member on here DIE on the freeway because the rest of the traffic didnt realize he was doing 50? Thats not a "it could happen" that DID happen. Its dangerous to do 45-50 on public freeways also.

Last edited:

Loco_Hosa

Going too slow is every bit as deadly.

samsimpson

^^^^^agree :)

I have 16.00R20 XZLs and I can pretty much keep up with traffic on the freeway. I have no idea how fast I am going since my speedo is off and I never bothered to check my phone GPS. I just make sure I have enough cushion all around me, though I have done that with every big truck I have ever owned.

clb076

Hey guys, I was just thinking about this earlier. The attached PDF shows the theoretical true speed vs speedo readout for an A3 with 395's 1400's and 1600's. The chart ranges from 5-60 mph. If anyone wants one for an A2 or for different tire sizes let me know. It won't take me but a few minutes to change it! something like this may already be out there; however, I didn't come across it. Hope this helps someone!

Attachments

dmetalmiki

over speed??

Don't do it. the brakes and other "things" were NOT designed for those speeds! My deuces on 1200s will get that speed, BUT I use the gearing for a better Engine RPM at decent (enough!) speed. 1750 rpm = 42 mph. so a cruise at DECENT (longevity) engine speed gives me 55 mph at sutainable revs. WHAT'S the rush? Consistant driving resulta in decent (SAFE) times/mileage incurred.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks