• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tire wearing uneven

hellrayzor1

Hi all,

I am having a tire wear issue I am sure many of you could give me great advice to repair. The outside tread on the passenger side front tire only is wearing down fast and cupping. Attached are a couple photos that I hope are good enough to show the problem. This happened in about 300 miles of driving. Also I am getting a shimmy in the stearing wheel and vibration in the whole truck when I get up to about 50 mph and gets worse as I increase speed. I jacked up the frontend and checked for play in that wheel and it feels very solid, but being as heavy duty as it is, I dont know if thats a good check. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day, Mark

Attachments

Marlboro

I think thats a normal deuce tire... I've worn down all ten in about 7500 miles. Thats because all the rears found them selfs on the front a some point in their lives. I hope my new 11.00s wear much better!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If it is one side and not the other, it might be a bad shock absorber. If it were both, I would check toe-in.

hellrayzor1

It is just one side and it wore down in a very short time, I have had these tires on for about 2k miles and never rotated them and all was looking good until the last 2 trips up north I made, about 200 miles each trip. I'm pretty sure I could use new shocks but would that cause such extreme wear so quickly?? And thanks for the idea :)

altoids

I know Rockwells have positive camber made into the knuckles. Ya can tell it real good with 52" XZL's. But both off your tires would be wearing the same so maybe its tire pressure or the bushings in that knuckle are bad.

Flyingvan911

My deuce does the same thing. I am going to check the toe-in and shocks. I keep my tire pressure at 50 and nothing looks bent or damaged in the steering linkage.

Deuces do wear the front tires down fast by nature. The 8 tires in back push very hard on the front tires when turning.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is quite commmon for passenger side front tires on a deuce to wear like that,especially on W/W trucks due to the extra weight. The right front tire on my A2 W/W was really wearing badly. Someone recommended new shocks and I absolutely did not believe that could be the cause. My alignment was perfect. I replaced both front shocks with Monroe 34787 shocks from NAPA. The NAPA number for the 34787 shocks is 76787. I couldn't believe the difference. My tire wear and cupping disappeared and I got a better ride to boot.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the maximum listed pressure for your tires as printed on the sidewall?
Confirm alignment (toe), good shocks, and maximum tire pressure. The listed 50 is not enough for a loaded truck on hardball.

aaron379

It is quite commmon for passenger side front tires on a deuce to wear like that,especially on W/W trucks due to the extra weight. The right front tire on my A2 W/W was really wearing badly. Someone recommended new shocks and I absolutely did not believe that could be the cause. My alignment was perfect. I replaced both front shocks with Monroe 34787 shocks from NAPA. The NAPA number for the 34787 shocks is 76787. I couldn't believe the difference. My tire wear and cupping disappeared and I got a better ride to boot.
How much were the shocks ?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think they were about $55.00 each. They were bright yellow. Once I painted them they looked identical to the original military shocks. I should mention that I called Monroe and told them I needed shocks for an M35A2 and they gave me the correct ones to order.

aaron379

I think they were about $55.00 each. They were bright yellow. Once I painted them they looked identical to the original military shocks. I should mention that I called Monroe and told them I needed shocks for an M35A2 and they gave me the correct ones to order.
thanks... I need to get a pair

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks