• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tires, how to read the rating system

Royalpower

Hello,

There is a guy who has some tires for sale and I was thinking of picking up a few as spares. He really isn't giving much information in such a way that I can understand, not his fault just my lack of understanding.

Anyway, he sent me the below tire rating system and I was wondering if anyone can help me read it.

19/32, but on occasion get 16/32 (A) and a lot of 13/32-15/32 (B).

Do I take 19 into 32 which is just shy of 60%. So, does that mean that the tire has 60 life left? I'm guessing not. I will bet I'm wrong but I know you guys know.

DanM7890

19/32 is a brand new tire. 100% tread life.

EDIT: I forget how to check the age but I know certain places won't balance a tire older than 7 years. Just food for thought.

Last edited:

Royalpower

19/32 is a brand new tire. 100% tread life.

EDIT: I forget how to check the age but I know certain places won't balance a tire older than 7 years. Just food for thought.
thank you! what about 16/32 or 13/32 what do they mean?

Thank you for the heads up on the age, I didn't know that.

TedG

Think inches. 19/32" is 100%, 16/32 = 1/2" is 3/32 less tread than new and 13/32 is 6/32 less tread than new. The lower the x/32 number the less usable tread on the tire. Get a high of a number you can get, preferable 19/32.

Royalpower

Think inches. 19/32" is 100%, 16/32 = 1/2" is 3/32 less tread than new and 13/32 is 6/32 less tread than new. The lower the x/32 number the less usable tread on the tire. Get a high of a number you can get, preferable 19/32.
Thanks, I think 16/32 is 80% of the tire left. I wouldn't want to go any lower than that.

Dark Night

Steel Soldiers Supporter

DrillerSurplus

Hello,

There is a guy who has some tires for sale and I was thinking of picking up a few as spares. He really isn't giving much information in such a way that I can understand, not his fault just my lack of understanding.

Anyway, he sent me the below tire rating system and I was wondering if anyone can help me read it.

19/32, but on occasion get 16/32 (A) and a lot of 13/32-15/32 (B).

Do I take 19 into 32 which is just shy of 60%. So, does that mean that the tire has 60 life left? I'm guessing not. I will bet I'm wrong but I know you guys know.
Tires should all have date codes, but many of the military tires- especially the older ones- don't have date codes.

Lots of tires have a 19/32nds tread depth,, but that isn't a standard. You need to look at what the original tread depth was. The military off road tires usually have quite a bit more tread depth than 19/32nds.
For example, the Goodyear tire book shows:
14.00R20 30/32
16.00R20 33/32
365/80R20 20/32
395/85R20 26/32

Royalpower

Tires should all have date codes, but many of the military tires- especially the older ones- don't have date codes.

Lots of tires have a 19/32nds tread depth,, but that isn't a standard. You need to look at what the original tread depth was. The military off road tires usually have quite a bit more tread depth than 19/32nds.
For example, the Goodyear tire book shows:
14.00R20 30/32
16.00R20 33/32
365/80R20 20/32
395/85R20 26/32

So, what is the right question? What exactly should I ask him to determine if I should or shouldn't take the deal?

DrillerSurplus

So, what is the right question? What exactly should I ask him to determine if I should or shouldn't take the deal?
First you need to know what the new tire tire tread depth was so you can determine % tread left. It is pretty easy to google the brand of tire & get the catalog with specs.
Here is Goodyear's https://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/gov/pdf/military_tire_brochure.pdf
general info on HMMWV tires http://www.hmmwvinscale.com/hmmwvtires.htm
Second, ask for date code on each tire.
Inspect in person if possible or get photos of each tire-preferably one that shows whole side of tire. Look for crease lines where the tire sat flat for a long time or excessive weather checking/cracking.

Royalpower

First you need to know what the new tire tire tread depth was so you can determine % tread left. It is pretty easy to google the brand of tire & get the catalog with specs.
Here is Goodyear's https://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/gov/pdf/military_tire_brochure.pdf
general info on HMMWV tires http://www.hmmwvinscale.com/hmmwvtires.htm
Second, ask for date code on each tire.
Inspect in person if possible or get photos of each tire-preferably one that shows whole side of tire. Look for crease lines where the tire sat flat for a long time or excessive weather checking/cracking.
super helpful! Thank you!

Action

according to Goodyear, 19/32" is the tread depth for a new Goodyear MT n37".
To get the % of tread left, divide the current depth by 19. For example...16/32 is 84%. 16 divided by 19 is .84.
15/32 is 79%
14/32 is 74%
13/32 is 68%

The date code on these is only on one side. It is in the bubble at the end of the DOT code.

Buy whatever % you are comfortable with. Try to get 4 matching tires with even wear. Preferably with runflats already in them.

Royalpower

according to Goodyear, 19/32" is the tread depth for a new Goodyear MT n37".
To get the % of tread left, divide the current depth by 19. For example...16/32 is 84%. 16 divided by 19 is .84.
15/32 is 79%
14/32 is 74%
13/32 is 68%

The date code on these is only on one side. It is in the bubble at the end of the DOT code.

Buy whatever % you are comfortable with. Try to get 4 matching tires with even wear. Preferably with runflats already in them.
That makes sense, I appreciate it! I thought they all had runflats, I take it that's not the case.

You guys have provided me with a lot of info. That you ALL!

Special T

The Goodyear mvt are pretty stout tires. I have lots of friends that run them and my brother ran a set on his f350 crew cab that were 40% and badly weather cracked. He used them while logging and only popped one after they were all bald.

Royalpower

The Goodyear mvt are pretty stout tires. I have lots of friends that run them and my brother ran a set on his f350 crew cab that were 40% and badly weather cracked. He used them while logging and only popped one after they were all bald.
Anyone have any connections for A quality ones in GA, AL, TN or NC? I'm willing to make the drive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks