• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tires, how to read the rating system

Royalpower

Hello,

There is a guy who has some tires for sale and I was thinking of picking up a few as spares. He really isn't giving much information in such a way that I can understand, not his fault just my lack of understanding.

Anyway, he sent me the below tire rating system and I was wondering if anyone can help me read it.

19/32, but on occasion get 16/32 (A) and a lot of 13/32-15/32 (B).

Do I take 19 into 32 which is just shy of 60%. So, does that mean that the tire has 60 life left? I'm guessing not. I will bet I'm wrong but I know you guys know.

DanM7890

19/32 is a brand new tire. 100% tread life.

EDIT: I forget how to check the age but I know certain places won't balance a tire older than 7 years. Just food for thought.

Last edited:

Royalpower

19/32 is a brand new tire. 100% tread life.

EDIT: I forget how to check the age but I know certain places won't balance a tire older than 7 years. Just food for thought.
thank you! what about 16/32 or 13/32 what do they mean?

Thank you for the heads up on the age, I didn't know that.

TedG

Think inches. 19/32" is 100%, 16/32 = 1/2" is 3/32 less tread than new and 13/32 is 6/32 less tread than new. The lower the x/32 number the less usable tread on the tire. Get a high of a number you can get, preferable 19/32.

Royalpower

Think inches. 19/32" is 100%, 16/32 = 1/2" is 3/32 less tread than new and 13/32 is 6/32 less tread than new. The lower the x/32 number the less usable tread on the tire. Get a high of a number you can get, preferable 19/32.
Thanks, I think 16/32 is 80% of the tire left. I wouldn't want to go any lower than that.

Dark Night

Steel Soldiers Supporter

DrillerSurplus

Hello,

There is a guy who has some tires for sale and I was thinking of picking up a few as spares. He really isn't giving much information in such a way that I can understand, not his fault just my lack of understanding.

Anyway, he sent me the below tire rating system and I was wondering if anyone can help me read it.

19/32, but on occasion get 16/32 (A) and a lot of 13/32-15/32 (B).

Do I take 19 into 32 which is just shy of 60%. So, does that mean that the tire has 60 life left? I'm guessing not. I will bet I'm wrong but I know you guys know.
Tires should all have date codes, but many of the military tires- especially the older ones- don't have date codes.

Lots of tires have a 19/32nds tread depth,, but that isn't a standard. You need to look at what the original tread depth was. The military off road tires usually have quite a bit more tread depth than 19/32nds.
For example, the Goodyear tire book shows:
14.00R20 30/32
16.00R20 33/32
365/80R20 20/32
395/85R20 26/32

Royalpower

Tires should all have date codes, but many of the military tires- especially the older ones- don't have date codes.

Lots of tires have a 19/32nds tread depth,, but that isn't a standard. You need to look at what the original tread depth was. The military off road tires usually have quite a bit more tread depth than 19/32nds.
For example, the Goodyear tire book shows:
14.00R20 30/32
16.00R20 33/32
365/80R20 20/32
395/85R20 26/32

So, what is the right question? What exactly should I ask him to determine if I should or shouldn't take the deal?

DrillerSurplus

So, what is the right question? What exactly should I ask him to determine if I should or shouldn't take the deal?
First you need to know what the new tire tire tread depth was so you can determine % tread left. It is pretty easy to google the brand of tire & get the catalog with specs.
Here is Goodyear's https://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/gov/pdf/military_tire_brochure.pdf
general info on HMMWV tires http://www.hmmwvinscale.com/hmmwvtires.htm
Second, ask for date code on each tire.
Inspect in person if possible or get photos of each tire-preferably one that shows whole side of tire. Look for crease lines where the tire sat flat for a long time or excessive weather checking/cracking.

Royalpower

First you need to know what the new tire tire tread depth was so you can determine % tread left. It is pretty easy to google the brand of tire & get the catalog with specs.
Here is Goodyear's https://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/gov/pdf/military_tire_brochure.pdf
general info on HMMWV tires http://www.hmmwvinscale.com/hmmwvtires.htm
Second, ask for date code on each tire.
Inspect in person if possible or get photos of each tire-preferably one that shows whole side of tire. Look for crease lines where the tire sat flat for a long time or excessive weather checking/cracking.
super helpful! Thank you!

Action

according to Goodyear, 19/32" is the tread depth for a new Goodyear MT n37".
To get the % of tread left, divide the current depth by 19. For example...16/32 is 84%. 16 divided by 19 is .84.
15/32 is 79%
14/32 is 74%
13/32 is 68%

The date code on these is only on one side. It is in the bubble at the end of the DOT code.

Buy whatever % you are comfortable with. Try to get 4 matching tires with even wear. Preferably with runflats already in them.

Royalpower

according to Goodyear, 19/32" is the tread depth for a new Goodyear MT n37".
To get the % of tread left, divide the current depth by 19. For example...16/32 is 84%. 16 divided by 19 is .84.
15/32 is 79%
14/32 is 74%
13/32 is 68%

The date code on these is only on one side. It is in the bubble at the end of the DOT code.

Buy whatever % you are comfortable with. Try to get 4 matching tires with even wear. Preferably with runflats already in them.
That makes sense, I appreciate it! I thought they all had runflats, I take it that's not the case.

You guys have provided me with a lot of info. That you ALL!

Special T

The Goodyear mvt are pretty stout tires. I have lots of friends that run them and my brother ran a set on his f350 crew cab that were 40% and badly weather cracked. He used them while logging and only popped one after they were all bald.

Royalpower

The Goodyear mvt are pretty stout tires. I have lots of friends that run them and my brother ran a set on his f350 crew cab that were 40% and badly weather cracked. He used them while logging and only popped one after they were all bald.
Anyone have any connections for A quality ones in GA, AL, TN or NC? I'm willing to make the drive.