• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tires & Shipping and more, Oh My!

NovacaineFix

Okay, this may sound like a broad and over-asked question with a ton of answers, but I'll ask anyway.

Okay, here we go.

I was considering looking for some tires for my 818, more for a just in case or preventative reasons. The tires I have currently are suitable for normal use but there are a few issues that I have about the longevity of these tires.

I currently have 10 Michelin X 11R20's that are okay on tread but here are the issues and pics of why I may need some replacements. Sorry it was dark when I took the photos.
20151007_212905.jpg20151007_212945.jpg20151007_212954.jpg20151007_213004.jpg20151007_213022.jpg

The 2 up front, have some minor dry rot cracks on the sidewalls, I have seen worse on other trucks with similar tires but because these are up front, I have concerns of a possible blow-out. If you have driven California roads and highways, you would understand.
On the rear-rear axle, I have 2 outside tires that has some chunks missing from the outer tread exposing the steel radial partially. Since picking up the vehicle I have done some on highway driving (est. 300 miles) and some off-road trail driving (est. 40 miles) and nothing has got any worse, so far.

The question I have, short of buying 10 brand spanking new tires of similar style and size from a Truck tire shop locally (no shipping), has anyone had success from buying tire lots from any of the auction sites? Is it worth the hassle or should I stay with some of the military vendors that deal with used tires in this size? Since I can't really preview any of the auction site lots, it would be a gamble. I see vendors on the SS site that sell a couple of tires but usually not my size or they are already on wheels. That extra few pounds that the wheels weighs is kind of a deal breaker for me, with the shipping and stuff.

I like the tread profile of the Michelin's, but the Goodyear's look equally impressive. I don't want to swap to Super Singles, because I would have to change the wheels, mine are the stock bud-wheels and duals on the rear and the wheels are in great shape.

My only issue with trying my luck at the auction lots, if I would even win and 2 the logistics of shipping them without actually going out there. I have seen some that are close and by close I mean 1500 miles or so close.
I have tried searching for several of the military tire vendors online, but again, the shipping makes me want to see if I can get a better deal from another source. Not being cheap, just want to get the most tire for my buck. Please don't post any info on specific auctions that may be active or upcoming, was just looking for general info about buying tires in this manner.

Any ideas? The good thing is, I don't need 11 tires (1 spare) right away, thank goodness. But I would like to replace the more worn tires and keep them in matched pairs or as close as I can if they are used.

Thanks in advance.

bonedoc

I've purchased tires from gov liquidators. They were 398/85/20 XZLs on 5 ton rims. They were brand new. Never used. Manufacture dates appear to be around 2008. In my experience...it is the way to go.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would not DRIVE that truck 10' with those steer tires, why to much risk to you, and the vehicles around you, I have had THREE steer tire blowouts, with one I put the 819 airborne, (R tire, thank goodness, other wise I would have been in on coming traffic),

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those Michelin Xs are WAY past their prime. Get with 91W350 at BFR Metals in Kansas and have him ship you 10 Goodyear G177s and call it done. Two pallets should ship for around $500 with motor freight.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no experience with arranging shipping after an auction. I just wanted to pipe up and say though that my experience has been (at least in Utah) that the Michelin 11.00R20 XL's seem to be harder to find (even Boyce Equipment didn't have any when I called last year) but they do have a great tread pattern and look excellent on a truck. I do have 3 good ones for sale in the classifieds, but I'm still over 770 miles away, but could get the wheels that they're mounted on removed.

Last edited:

Gunzy

I personnally would get rid of those Michelins. They have a more aggressive tread pattern but have a weaker side wall than the Goodyears. Switch over to a full set of G177s and you will be golden. I have bought a lot of 9.00X20 NDTs from GL and of the 13 tires in the lot only one was junk(fork lift through side wall). Generally you can get good if not new tires from GL. Shipping can be an issue, but I have never shipped as I buy from the local GL site. Good luck in what ever you decide.

NovacaineFix

Thanks guys for all your info on the tires. I have been poking around looking at some of the auction sites with a little hesitation because of the unknown, but it may be worth the gamble we'll see.

The good thing is with the exception of those 2 front tires, I think the rest are in decent shape, so I got time on my side.

I know some guys prefer the Goodyears over the Michelins and vs versa, so that part at least will have to be a personal decision for me or at least the availability and price.

Thanks guys. I'll keep you updated

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its not so much a Goodyear vs Michelin preference, the issue is that Michelin has not made a 11.00-20 for Uncle in over 20 years, which is quite old for a high speed truck tire. The G177s are much newer.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its not so much a Goodyear vs Michelin preference, the issue is that Michelin has not made a 11.00-20 for Uncle in over 20 years, which is quite old for a high speed truck tire. The G177s are much newer.
I am sorry, but over 20 years is not true. The surplus Michelins I have are no older than the surplus Goodyears that I have. Both have date codes in the 2000-2001 range (granted some of my Goodyears are newer with 2004-2007 date codes). It still does make for an older tire, and they should be routinely inspected. Kind of beating the dead horse here - goes for all tires and all motor vehicles....

Back on topic:
NovacaineFix is right, it is a personal/availability/price choice. I faced the same over the last year.

Last edited:

tbar123

Not greatly known ,But if you take a rag and some GM trans fluid and wipe your tires down it helps to prevent dry rot.

NovacaineFix

Not greatly known ,But if you take a rag and some GM trans fluid and wipe your tires down it helps to prevent dry rot.
I have heard good and bad with applying ATF on tires, but the way I look at it, most, if not all tire protection products are petroleum based, so really how bad could ATF be.

I know ATF can swell certain types of rubber, not sure if tire rubber is one of them.

Wrecker king

A word of caution. Truck tire retailers (for class 8 trucks) will not accept used radial tires for recaps that are over 5 years old. The "useful" life of a radial tire is 5-7 years. The "life" starts when the tire is mounted. If you by tires that have never been mounted, have been kept in a cool place and out of the sunlight you should be ok. Most tires that are up for auction are 10-12 years old and have been previously mounted. A bias ply tire has a "longer" life than a radial tire.

John G

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks