• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Titling a Gov Liquidation Trailer in Virginia

Cummins guy

Just got my first M101 A2! :)

Questions:

1) How do I get the title from the US Government?
FYI- I picked it up at the Maryland Gov Liquidations location at Ft Meade.

and

2) Is it possilble to get a technical manual(TM9-2330-202-14&P) for it? If so, where?

Thanks in advance...

Nonotagain

When you apply for the SF-97, GL will inform you that VA does not accept SF-97's and will issue you a title. The cost is around $85 for title verses the SF documents.

Why not go with a Maine tag? Costs less that way than a permanent VA trailer tag and yearly inspections.

Sig229

I tried to do that but you would need to strip down all the manufacturer data plates and make it look generic. I wish it was that easy, but the man and the little man "GL" want to milk you.:twisted:

fasttruck

Bought a small trailer from GL in NJ where you also get a title instead of a SF 97 and all that came was a bill of sale as the trailer weas too small by dimension to qualify for an AZ title and too light to title in NJ by6 weight. Then all that was left to argue about was why there was no previous registration. Ended up with "trailer registered and not
titled."

Sig229

I guess the saying is true better to ask for forgiveness than permission. All you can do is try and go with the flow. never know you might get lucky. Make sure you go up to the big girl at the DMV and flirt with her. Tell her that she looks different from the last time you visited almost didn't recognize her, say did you lose weight? sounds corny but it worked for me. Gods honest truth. ;)

03silverado

My buddy know some way of getting tags from Maine apparentley you dont need a title to get Maine tags Ill ask him about it because his trailer is tagged Maine something also about the little cost of tagging in Maine hence why you see so many Semi truck trailers tagged in Maine so I've heard

Sig229

cool info, F.Y.I. if you need to file for a lean in some cases make sure you trust the person you put the lean in and don't give the vin or data info to an untrusted source. I have heard horror stories from unsuspecting owners. Just be cautious.[thumbzup]

toomanytools

Ever notice when you rent a peice of equipment on a trailer, ( wood chipper,air comp., genny,etc) it's not tagged? Ever been questioned by da man? Care to guess what my protocol is for now? Also, trailers are insured by tow vehicle's coverage.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ever notice when you rent a peice of equipment on a trailer, ( wood chipper,air comp., genny,etc) it's not tagged? Ever been questioned by da man? Care to guess what my protocol is for now? Also, trailers are insured by tow vehicle's coverage.
Many states don't require plates on specific use type trailers like you described, but they charge you personal property tax on the value of it .

armadillofz1

except gulfway specifically does NOT automatically insure the trailer from the towing vehicle.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got my plates two weeks ago on one of M101A2s. I took it directly from the GL lot to a gravel yard and got a state approved weight ticket. I towed it home and next day I stopped at the BMV and got plates for it. No title, no nothing except the weight ticket.

She wanted the serial number and mfgr and I just told her Kassel and that's all that was needed.

About $40 which if you ask me is a little high but what heck, I got my plates. With a magnetic mount the plate can moved from trailer to trailer since they are all the same. (Yes, only one at a time is in use.)

;-)

Sig229

I hope I can swing this.

I just got my plates two weeks ago on one of M101A2s. I took it directly from the GL lot to a gravel yard and got a state approved weight ticket. I towed it home and next day I stopped at the BMV and got plates for it. No title, no nothing except the weight ticket.

She wanted the serial number and mfgr and I just told her Kassel and that's all that was needed.

About $40 which if you ask me is a little high but what heck, I got my plates. With a magnetic mount the plate can moved from trailer to trailer since they are all the same. (Yes, only one at a time is in use.)

;-)

This sure sound like promissing news. Do you think I can pull it off in California.
The S.O.P. For registration is not forgiving. The employees at the DMV have rank and they always try to one up each other and micro manage. It makes me wonder if they make commission on all the transaction. I hate going there, I would rather get a root canal without a shot.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm surprised they even let you breath without paperwork and being taxed in Kalifornia.

They best thing about the state is that I don't live there anymore. (Yes, I'm sure they are just as glad as well.)

Good luck getting anything reasonable over on that group.

Landbarger

Kinda hate to resurrect a four year old thread, but I just got home from a Virginia DMV 'Express' office (small town) and needed to vent. I bought an HDT G.E.T. and had ZERO luck transferring the FL title for it. Bought the FL title, not just an SF97, through GP based on the selling information (which listed its make as "DHS Systems, LLC"). First, it took 60 days for the title to arrive from GP which sucked a little but I wasn't in a rush so that was fine. As of this afternoon the DMV office can't register it because neither "DHS Systems, LLC" (name on the invoice) nor "HDT Systems" (name on the data plate) are in the pull-down menus for DMV personnel to use. So...apparently that's just not possible.

I told the woman I planned to remove the ECU and genset from the trailer, which I do, and she advised that should constitute enough change to register it as a homebuilt. So that's what I'm going to do. In VA you need to get a Virginia Law Enforcement Officer to come inspect it for road worthiness per the APPLICATION FOR ASSIGNED VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER [p.1, VSA 22 (7/10/2015)]. Won't be a problem as my soon-to-be brother-in-law is a Trooper, but still a pain. Plus, I kinda hate to do it as now it will just be titled as a generic, 2015 homebuild instead of a 2009 HDT. But I don't know what else to do. The lady at the office advised (after looking at a picture of the trailer on the GP item release form) that "I had just purchased the components to a trailer" so this should be as legit as anything.

I write this just as a heads up to any other DRASH-type or other special equipment trailer buyers out there. I'm not even going to attempt getting an SF97 or title for my M116A3-based cable trailer. I'm sure "US Army Tank Automotive Command" isn't in her manufacturers' list and even I haven't been able to figure out who actually made the thing. So another "home built," here I come.

If anyone in VA wants to push for a protocol change for ex-Mil trailer registration let me know. I'll write letters with you!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks