• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Titling in Texas

SchmidtLegal

Everyone here has been incredibly helpful. I don't have a lot to offer mechanically, but for those trying to title their hmmwv in Texas, it turned out to be fairly simple, even with an off-highway use only SF-97 or blue title. House bill 1755 was passed this past summer and it instructs local Tax Assessors to title them for on road use as a passenger or truck registration or antique as you desire so long as they are under gross 10,000 pounds (Registration title bulletin #005-19 - take this with you, it can be found on the TX Dept Motor Vehicles website). Things to be aware of, it has to be inspected (took mine to the jiffy lube - they loved it), insured - (Allstate was easy after they got over their confusion - About $350/year), and weighed. The weighing was tricky as I had to drive it to a truck stop certified scale illegally (you cannot get a single trip permit, tried and denied). After than, bam! No problems. Got my clear title with no restrictions in about three weeks.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you'd like to make it a little easier then just title and register it as a Former Military Vehicle and there's no inspection or weighing ($60 for 5 years). You can then do all of that legally later and switch it over to a regular registration if you wanted to do so. Unless you were planning to drive it every day I can't really see the need to pay the extra fees for a regular registration.

KenTexian

Thanks for your info, this is great information. I am looking to buy a HMMWV but most variants available have a GVW in excess of 10k lbs. Does this mean that an M1123 can't be registered?

Has anyone gotten them registered in Texas?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your info, this is great information. I am looking to buy a HMMWV but most variants available have a GVW in excess of 10k lbs. Does this mean that an M1123 can't be registered?

Has anyone gotten them registered in Texas?
You might want to verify if it's the gross weight of the vehicle, or the gross weight you are allowed to register the vehicle to. (GVW vs GVWR)

Once you start having to register for weight purposes, it's all about what tonnage you're paying for, as opposed to how much the factory says it's rated for as max.
Gross vehicle weight is only around 6k lbs basic setup as a soft top and soft doors, where the 10,300 lbs is the gross vehicle weight rating. If they'll let you register it as 10k lbs then you really aren't giving up much.

KenTexian

You might want to verify if it's the gross weight of the vehicle, or the gross weight you are allowed to register the vehicle to. (GVW vs GVWR)

Once you start having to register for weight purposes, it's all about what tonnage you're paying for, as opposed to how much the factory says it's rated for as max.
Gross vehicle weight is only around 6k lbs basic setup as a soft top and soft doors, where the 10,300 lbs is the gross vehicle weight rating. If they'll let you register it as 10k lbs then you really aren't giving up much.
This is the bulletin paragraph I am talking about:
"HB 1755 adds Transportation Code, Section 502.141, which makes certain former military
vehicles with ownership evidence that indicates off-highway use eligible for passenger or truck
registration. Effective September 1, 2019, a High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle
(HMMWV), commonly referred to as a HUMVEE, with a gross vehicle weight less than 10,000
lbs. and ownership evidence that indicates off-highway use is eligible for passenger or truck
registration."

I am not sure I fully understand the distinction between GVW vs GVWR but the above looks like it is fairly particularly referring to the weight of the vehicle fully laden (as apposed to curb weight).

What do you think?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the bulletin paragraph I am talking about:
"HB 1755 adds Transportation Code, Section 502.141, which makes certain former military
vehicles with ownership evidence that indicates off-highway use eligible for passenger or truck
registration. Effective September 1, 2019, a High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle
(HMMWV), commonly referred to as a HUMVEE, with a gross vehicle weight less than 10,000
lbs. and ownership evidence that indicates off-highway use is eligible for passenger or truck
registration."

I am not sure I fully understand the distinction between GVW vs GVWR but the above looks like it is fairly particularly referring to the weight of the vehicle fully laden (as opposed to curb weight).

What do you think?

I think that if you get one of the Marine M1123s that comes with a clean SF-97, meaning it has no stamp on it indicating that it is for "off road only" then the entire issue is moot, as the info you just linked is talking about vehicles that are strictly off road use eligible and not ones that have no such restriction.

The bulletin linked earlier in this thread discusses off road only stamped vehicles only. The bulletin below addresses ones with a clean SF-97, and basically instructs licensing offices to register them as normal vehicles.

KenTexian

I think that if you get one of the Marine M1123s that comes with a clean SF-97, meaning it has no stamp on it indicating that it is for "off road only" then the entire issue is moot, as the info you just linked is talking about vehicles that are strictly off road use eligible and not ones that have no such restriction.

The bulletin linked earlier in this thread discusses off road only stamped vehicles only. The bulletin below addresses ones with a clean SF-97, and basically instructs licensing offices to register them as normal vehicles.

Interesting, I wasn't aware that the M1123s SF-97 weren't listed as off road only. That is the awesome!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just picked up another M998, this one direct from DLA, I assume I want to pick the SF-97 if I want to title it in Texas.

redneckitguy

I know this is a dead thread but I thought I would toss a question in here in case anyone else has run into this.

I purchased an M1097 with a clean SF97, no OFF ROAD USE ONLY stamp, but that's not my issue. My issue is the use of a Florida Reassignment supplement when the sellers' address is in California and mine is in TX. My Tax office won't take it. They say it looks like fraud.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is a dead thread but I thought I would toss a question in here in case anyone else has run into this.

I purchased an M1097 with a clean SF97, no OFF ROAD USE ONLY stamp, but that's not my issue. My issue is the use of a Florida Reassignment supplement when the sellers' address is in California and mine is in TX. My Tax office won't take it. They say it looks like fraud.
I've had that issue. Easiest fix is to try a different licensing office.

The most certain fix is to have GP fix the documents.

I've done both of the above, although neither recently.

redneckitguy

I've had that issue. Easiest fix is to try a different licensing office.

The most certain fix is to have GP fix the documents.

I've done both of the above, although neither recently.
I reached out to GP to see if they would fix it. I don't know if they will but we will see.

The tax office was funny, they had never done one before so they didn't know what to do.

nairb

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I had the same issue at the first tax office I went to (Cedar Park). I called GP when I left and they said all they could do was send me a title instead of SF-97 if I paid an additional fee ($100 I think). I took the same paper work I had to the Taylor office and was in and out in 15 minutes, very helpful and nice compared to the first office.

Black Mountain AT

What’s a Florida reassignment supplement and why do you need/want it to register in TX?
I’m new to the game and trying to get my 1123 registered here in Texas.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What’s a Florida reassignment supplement and why do you need/want it to register in TX?
I’m new to the game and trying to get my 1123 registered here in Texas.
WELCOME to the forum!
Sorry I miss read the first time, I have never seen that "supplement" when titling any HMMWV, sounds like a mistake on GP part.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks