• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TN ivbeenrokd's crew cab underway

ivbeenrokd

Here are pictures of what I've done so far.

1. Picture with the flags is the way the truck looked a few weeks ago.
2. Picture in the driveway is the way the truck looked Monday.
3. Picture in the shop is the way the truck looked last night.

my plans:

2nd cab for the 4 door, extend the hard top, seats from a suburban (or something similar) with integrated seat belts, thick rubber matting on the floor, tinted windows, custom headliner for sound deadening, install the heater kit I've had laying around for 18 months, install an AC system if there's any money left :), move the exhaust behind the cab, move the tank to the drivers side

4-6" lift (plan to make measurements next week to determine how high), move the front axle 1-1.5" forward, custom 2 piece rear driveshaft, (4) michelin 1400 XZLs (I already have 2 plus some Goodyears so I'm looking for 2 more XZLs and I need to get rid of the Goodyears), install the air assist steering, I already have modified HEMTT wheels with 46" Michelins so I'll be using 4 of the 6 existing wheels (selling 2 wheels and 7 tires).

M105 bed

I look forward to the results, and somewhat enjoy the process.

thanks,
John

Attachments

ivbeenrokd

I intended to test yesterday but I forgot. Does anyone know if the short rear driveshaft flange is the same as the long rear driveshaft flange? As in, could the short rear driveshaft bolt up to the transfer case?

ivbeenrokd

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgOkay here it is as of last Wednesday: installed air assist steering (still need to tidy up the hoses), mount (2) 1400 XZLs on the front, did test measurements for lift height, removed rear driveshafts, tested small driveshaft to see if the flanges are the same size as long driveshaft, they are.

cast your votes, 4" lift or 6" lift (I have pictures of both mocked up).

thanks,
John

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I intended to test yesterday but I forgot. Does anyone know if the short rear driveshaft flange is the same as the long rear driveshaft flange? As in, could the short rear driveshaft bolt up to the transfer case?
Be advised, on most (I've seen to the contrary) the inner shaft between the axles has smaller yokes and u-joints despite the fact that they bolt right up.

ivbeenrokd

I'm thinking the long shaft is 1510 and the short shaft is 1480. Do you know for sure?

Thankfully I've got a driveline shop next door so he's in charge of that part. ;)

Be advised, on most (I've seen to the contrary) the inner shaft between the axles has smaller yokes and u-joints despite the fact that they bolt right up.

ivbeenrokd

Worked yesterday and got the rear axles out, rear suspension apart, and half the rivets torched out. Hope to get the rest out next week in preparation for the lift install. Let me know if you need any rear suspension parts! :)

Attachments

Nationwide 63s

The addiction is worse than gambling! It's one of the few addictions that you have something left after the cash is spent.........at least that's my justification! LOL!

ATPTac

Subscribed.

I'm toying with doing a crew cab conversion on our Deuce... But I don't want to bob it. Kind of makes me wish we had gotten an M36. I'm thinking about seeing what would be involved in keeping the axle layout the same and putting in fenders on the rear of the crew cab to make sure it fits over the tires. If I end up doing it, its going to be WAY down the road, but I love seeing others crew cab projects for ideas and inspiration.

ivbeenrokd

I think I've made it from the addiction phase to just enjoyment now (maybe). I enjoy the time working with my dad, stepdad, and brother on this. I'll also be able to enjoy the time with my wife and kids driving it with all of us in it (that was the biggest motivation for doing this project anyway) once it's all done. I just have to remind myself when I'm dead and gone this truck (or any other one) wont matter at all, but the time I've spent with family and friends is important. I have to fight against giving into the addiction side still though! Lol

The addiction is worse than gambling! It's one of the few addictions that you have something left after the cash is spent.........at least that's my justification! LOL!

Nationwide 63s

U bet! Great project for "Family Time!" Can't wait until I rope a few family members in on a project or two! Many years ago my wife and I made a deal. We would alternate weekends between horses and hot rods. I haven't forgotten that to this day!:carnac:

We'll see!

good luck on the rest of the build!

HanksDeuce

Looking great so far. I wish I had a shop to work in. I'm jelly!

[NOTE: For those chronologically challenged individuals (aka old farts) jelly = short form of jealous.]

ivbeenrokd

Does that mean she does need to buy this other truck to keep her end of the deal? :)

U bet! Great project for "Family Time!" Can't wait until I rope a few family members in on a project or two! Many years ago my wife and I made a deal. We would alternate weekends between horses and hot rods. I haven't forgotten that to this day!:carnac:

We'll see!

good luck on the rest of the build!