• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To swap, or not to swap

MatthewH

Okay, his morning on the way to work, the pass head gasket finally went in my M1009, so my question is whether to swap engines or not.
I have an extra 6.2 on a stand, unknown running condition, inside looks good, and i plastigauged it, everything seems in spec, but again unknown condition,
Or
i have a 454 bb from another truck that currently runs and drives.
I'm up in the air on what to do, as I had lots of problems with the old 6.2 and not impressed with the engines themselves, but would be an easy swap, or do i put the 454 in it and live with less mpg's. Eitheway i'm pulling the old engine.

Thoughts/advice appreciated

Thanks

MatthewH

rnd-motorsports

Really comes down to what you want to do with the truck! You want a driver and the mpg. thing is important then put the 6.2 back! you want a play toy then need not say more. Even in a 1009 the big block if stock will not be bad on gas! And not a real bad swap just remember to swap the torque converter for a gas unit and the gov. in the trans so the shift points will work for the gas engine!

dozer1

I vote for the other 6.2 . No engineering needed, its there, maybe its a good one instead of a lemon like you might have had. If it flops you got the 454, stick it in there and I doubt you would be a 6.2 fan for the rest of your days.

MatthewH

Been a while since i posted this question,

I decided to swap in the other 6.2l i had, since i had it and didn't need to change other divetrain parts. Did install new gp's and it runs like a champ.

The reason i changed the motor was because i wasn't sure what was wrong with the other motor, and figured if i had to tear it half down to replace a gasket, i might as well refreshen it up, which is easier on a stand than in the truck.

Dozer1, you would be correct, i'm not a fan of the 6.2's at all, and i don't have all the parts to swap in an extra cummins i have sitting around