• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Top Speed for unmodified CUCV?

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am asking this question because I see new folks
saying they have been going 75 mph for 60 miles on the freeway. This is fine for a typical car nowadays,
but I am under the impression that that speed puts you over the rpm limit.
I would hate to see new members put in a lot of work on there CUCV and burn out the engine.

So what is the realistic top speed before you start
burning up your engine? This assumes stock CUCV with
no overdrive etc.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
55 max for my M1008A1
I also have a tach installed and never intentionally go over 3000 rpm.

I know others regularly go faster, but that's where I stay.
If I'm in a hurry, I drive something else.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At 55 MPH with stock tires and gearing you are turning 2806 rpm. At 59 MPH its turning 3000 rpm and at red line of 3600 rpm you're at 71 MPH. I've always run mine up in the 61-62 range and now that I have 4.10 gear, 66-68.

3jumpjeep

50-55mph max in my M1028A2.
I will run it up to 65 when approaching a grade when towing to avoid dropping into second.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am asking this question because I see new folks saying they have been going 75 mph for 60 miles on the freeway.
Two assumptions there. One, is the speedo accurate? Two, is what those new folks are saying accurate?
My "sustained" top speed in a stock CUCV is usually about four to six mph these days. They rarely get to see high range, or pavement.

While it can be more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slowly, I don't think it quite applies to a CUCV. Like Tinstar, I take something meant for higher speeds when wanting to go fast.

cucvrus

https://youtu.be/i9qAB-PZUgk Not taking this bait. But this is my experience. I drove my M1028A1 for close to 20 years at 75mph. Coast to coast twice. It had 173K on it when I sold it to a fellow member here. And he said it still runs great. That truck had a name. It was Dude. Long story. But Dude ran true and smooth at 75. I drove it 300 miles to deliver it and my Son followed and passed me at 70 75 while he was driving Dude. Dude is still running to this day and it is not a piece of crap junk. I just never knew better and never ask. I just drove it. The M1009 will do GPS 90 with no problems. I would never drive an M1008/M1028 coast to coast again. I would not even ride in it long distances. It was what I had at the time and so it is what I used. I was in my mid 30's when I bought my first CUCV pick up. I am not about going back to driving one as a daily again. I have one at work and drive it hard. But I do have a new truck at work now also as well as my own personal vehicle. I prefer the new stuff at this point in life. Still love my CUCV's but screaming engines and road noise are not on my regular schedule. I find it hard driving an M1009 on long trips anymore. I done my time. I moved on. Occasionally fine 100 mile trips. But not daily again. Off Road I love them also. Basically that is what they were built and designed for.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two assumptions there. One, is the speedo accurate? Two, is what those new folks are saying accurate?
My "sustained" top speed in a stock CUCV is usually about four to six mph these days. They rarely get to see high range, or pavement.

While it can be more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slowly, I don't think it quite applies to a CUCV. Like Tinstar, I take something meant for higher speeds when wanting to go fast.
I have succomed to the world of GPS. I have older, outdated GPS units for my trucks. Maps may be dated but they make wonderful speedo, odo and trip calculators. My reported speeds are based off these.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use your phone as a gps also!

cucvrus

0821151415.jpg10881613_766510343385034_3129898268035189966_n.jpg0209161554hauling brass.jpgThese were all taken in CUCV M1008. The one with the generator lights on was when the belts came off and all I had was the PS belt and water pump. I was driving hard to get back home before dark. The second picture is of the Mule M1009. The third is the Big Red M1008. It is hard to show a picture of the speedometer and the GPS at the same time. the only one I have a picture is on Facebook and I can not copy that one for some reason. The only adverse condition I ever noticed was the surge in the fuel pump when i left off at that speed. It was screaming. It was loud but it was at the governed max. I do not think it would go to a point of breaking. It just went so far and that was all it had. Sort of like a rev limiter. I drove a lot of trucks with a governor and that is the same feeling. it will not go any faster. I checked it with the speed signs on the road and it (M1008) is accurate within a few 4-5 MPH. The M1009 is dead on with the road side radar signs. I also checked it with my new truck and a digital / GPS system. And that is about all I am going to say about that. Have a great day. Keep it below 90. Or just buy a Canadian speedo and impress your friends and neighbors. speedo.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a GPS speedo app in my phone. Its a pain to deal with while driving but its great when my son is driving and I need to check his speed.

3jumpjeep

I agree, but my little five speed for banger car doesn't tow very well.

3jumpjeep

I have succomed to the world of GPS. I have older, outdated GPS units for my trucks. Maps may be dated but they make wonderful speedo, odo and trip calculators. My reported speeds are based off these.
Same here... GPS reads two or three mph lower than the speedo.

glaser06

50-55mph max in my M1028A2.
I will run it up to 65 when approaching a grade when towing to avoid dropping into second.

Wait, your truck actually downshifts? I'm in 3rd around 15mph and it never shifts down.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk