• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Top Speed for unmodified CUCV?

glaser06

Uphill, towing 5 tons it will downshift.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
****. I've turbo'ed mine but the most I've pulled is about 7500-8000 lbs across the Mississippi river bridge in Baton Rouge (only hill worth mentioning here). Was able to hold about 40mph without a problem. Stopping on the other hand..... that was a trick!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

3jumpjeep

****. I've turbo'ed mine but the most I've pulled is about 7500-8000 lbs across the Mississippi river bridge in Baton Rouge (only hill worth mentioning here). Was able to hold about 40mph without a problem. Stopping on the other hand..... that was a trick!

Between southeast Tennessee and northeast Connecticut I hit 3 to 5 grades that put me in second gear. If I'm not paying attention there are a few more places. I try to pick up speed on the approach. The mountains of Virginia on I81 are very different than southern Mississippi.

glaser06

Between southeast Tennessee and northeast Connecticut I hit 3 to 5 grades that put me in second gear. If I'm not paying attention there are a few more places. I try to pick up speed on the approach. The mountains of Virginia on I81 are very different than southern Mississippi.

Baton Rouge is in Louisiana, sir. We are in no way affiliated with that terrible state of which you speak.

I used to live in Atlanta and would drive to Helen, Ga, Pigeon Forge, Tn, and Nashville, Tn occasionally. I would hate to do that with a heavy load and no turbo.

3jumpjeep

Baton Rouge is in Louisiana, sir. We are in no way affiliated with that terrible state of which you speak.

I used to live in Atlanta and would drive to Helen, Ga, Pigeon Forge, Tn, and Nashville, Tn occasionally. I would hate to do that with a heavy load and no turbo.

Sorry about that. I much prefer "LA" over MS. That's "LA" as in Lower Alabama or Louisiana...and NOT Los Angeles.
A turbo would definitely help as would finding a buyer for my house in CT. Once the house sells I might, probably, have money to buy the turbocharger.

glaser06

There's an app for that. It's situated on the right side of the steering column.
You mean the shifter lever?

Downshifting a T400 manually at high (engine) speeds is risky business. Can result in a broken intermediate band (decellerating), servo damage (decellerating), or even intermediate clutch damage (under load). That's just to the tranny, if you don't have a tach (why you wouldn't is beyond me, they're cheap and easy to install) the 6.2 with our axle ratios is easy to overspin. I was talking about the tranny downshifting automatically, not forcing it prematurely.

3jumpjeep

Downshifting a T400 manually at high (engine) speeds is risky business. Can result in a broken intermediate band (decellerating), servo damage (decellerating), or even intermediate clutch damage (under load). That's just to the tranny, if you don't have a tach (why you wouldn't is beyond me, they're cheap and easy to install) the 6.2 with our axle ratios is easy to overspin. I was talking about the tranny downshifting automatically, not forcing it prematurely.

I never downshift manually. That's just a bad idea under load.

3jumpjeep

I was thinking about glaser06, doing 15 mph in Third gear without getting a downshift.
Okay, mine will drop into third at about 25 when I'm running light and on the flat. It will then downshift if I tip the throttle a bit when it hits a hill. All as smooth as the '74 Caddy I once had. Put a load on and the shifts get a lot firmer. The TH400 is a great transmission. Only drawbacks are a not very low first, no overdrive and no lock up torque converter, but it's old technology. I like that there's no computer involved.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's when it upshifts from 2nd to 3rd too. Crazy, huh?
Yeah, definitely something's not happy there. One of these days I'll have to have a talk with my 1008...which won't up shift properly.
But at least I know why. Its new pump didn't connect correctly to the trans. I'll try running full vacuum to it - if it shifts too early I can always downshift manually.

sneekyeye

Mine drops into second at about 1mph and hits third right about 15mph. Ive been meaning to adjust it, but I want to do it at the same time as I replace the vacuum hoses.

Jozseph

Consider installing a B&M Tranpak kit in the transmission, You can shift manual without issues. Also look into the B&M vacuum modulator; "fully adjustable, this allows you to tailor your shift points to within a range of 2-4 mph."

Regards

Joseph

glaser06

Consider installing a B&M Tranpak kit in the transmission, You can shift manual without issues. Also look into the B&M vacuum modulator; "fully adjustable, this allows you to tailor your shift points to within a range of 2-4 mph."

Regards

Joseph
Up only. If that's the kit I'm thinking of (makes the tranny fully manual) downshifting will cause damage to the sprag from it freewheeling.

Great for drag cars, not so good for on the street and towing.

Nevermind, I looked up the kit. That's just a shift kit, so really doesn't help here. You would need a kit with heavier bands or clutch packs, this one just firms up your shifts a bit while allowing you to adjust where it shifts. It wouldn't change how the tranny could be damaged by downshifting manually from stock.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please don't tell my GM trannies, past and present, that they were/are supposed to blow up when I use gears instead of brakes to regulate the speed. Especially when towing.