• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Top speed

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hit 38 once. But it is no fault of the truck. It's the windy back dirt roads that limit speed.

infidel got me

Speeds of 60 to 65 are fine with me. If I need to get there faster I'll leave earlier. The screaming engine and high rpm's are what my concerns were..

This is the main reason for a 4 speed auto. swap.

JoeJrTheBarber

73 on my GPS speedo app on my phone.
1988 M998 with 6.5 non turbo and 3 speed on 37's.
Truck was not happy for sure.
Normal tollway speed around 65ish..

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I hit 67MPH once, but I drive 60-62 on highway. Right lane and left hand ready to flip on flashers. She ain't a speed queen fer sher.

But as many Jeepers say, "Sure yours can go faster, but mine can go ANYWHERE"

BDGR

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did get up to 80 once in one of my A2's. It was only for a short duration and the truck did not protest, but the rotating mass of tires and runflats could have definitely benefited from a set of Centramatics. I'm with everyone else though, much more fun and so much safer to move a "profiling" speeds and enjoy all the looks, especially from the kids.

Crazyguyla

Top Speed Military 2 seat, no cargo 1990 M998: possibly 85-95mph, speedometer needle was bottom center of the dial

Top Speed 2001 H1, 6.5 Turbo: 110 mph

kdaniels

I rolled on to I-10 and ran 60 mph for 180 miles non stop heading over to the USS Alabama for a truck rally a few years back. My 6.2 / 3 speed seems to run well at that speed as I had zero issues there and back. But for non interstate travel 50-55 mph is all it sees.

Semper Fi !

keith

NormB

I rolled on to I-10 and ran 60 mph for 180 miles non stop heading over to the USS Alabama for a truck rally a few years back. My 6.2 / 3 speed seems to run well at that speed as I had zero issues there and back. But for non interstate travel 50-55 mph is all it sees.

Semper Fi !

keith
Was that with or without the “cruise control??

NB

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont know to much about these vehicles but I was just N of mpls about 40 miles with a large trailer load of 5 ton tires and I got passed by one of these units, it was from a national guard unit and was still an IN service unit with the driver in full BDU uniform, I was running just under 70 mph and he passed us and I would guess he had to be close to 80 mph, he sure was not in sight for to long after he went by me!
Karl

Mfal

How much more juice / speed do you get by tacking on a turbo to the 6.2? Also, currently have 3 speed (1987). Any recommendations on transmission upgrades?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much more juice / speed do you get by tacking on a turbo to the 6.2? Also, currently have 3 speed (1987). Any recommendations on transmission upgrades?
The limiting factor is gearing . With the 3 speed you can run it a little over 60mph, but it isn't happy and won't live long. 53-55mph is the sweet spot.

Adding a turbo won't help this. Power isn't the choke point.

If a higher top speed is desired, a transmission swap is in order, and isn't trivial. If you need the extra gear it's best to start with a truck that already has it.

Mine is a 6.2 with 3 speed. I have learned to like the right lane.....

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I swapped in a 700R4 transmission that I had specially rebuilt. It was eye-opening. Suddenly I could cruise at highway speed.

Three speed transmission is great for a farm or rock crawling, however a four-speed transmission or a five speed transmission is an amazing upgrade. Just ask Mogman.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
120 in the DuraVee (well that is as high as the GPS speedo indicates), 85 in the stock Detroit 6.2 with the 6L80 6 speed transmission also with a GPS speedo.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks