• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Totaled Deuce Gets Rebuilt

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last night i painted the take off fuel tank and the bumper which is from a non-winch truck. I still have the shackle mounts from my truck, so i am going to have shackles on the top and bottom of the bumper. i dont have the bolts anyway, so i would have had to buy them regardless. I wanted the shackles on the bottom just incase i decide to build a plow for it someday. I think there was a thread somewhere where somebody had the exact length for these bolts. 12 and 13 inches sound about right.... ill search for that thread now....

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the fuel tank painted this weekend and more of the front end bumper parts. While the tank was out, i painted behind the tank and drilled a small hole in the bottom of the fuel tank support arms to let water drain out. i saw when i pulled the tank some water puddled in the bottom of one of the brackets. so i thought a 5/16" hole in the bottom could not hurt.

I am hoping to get the box changed this week with 2 new side racks. then it will be time to lay down the 3 color camo. i cant wait!

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The winch support bracket came yesterday when i was at work, so dad got it painted before i got home and started putting the bumper on. we had a little bit of a time getting all the holes to line up and such. it was not too bad though. one thing i wanted was since i had an extra pair of shackle mounts is to put another set on the bottom of the bumper. I will not have the shackles themselves on there, but just the mounts for them. my plan is if i build an A-Frame lift for it someday it would be nice to attach some sort of landing gear to the bumper to take the load off the front suspension. Something else i would like to do is if i found a 10' plow, use the lower shackle mounts to hang the plow frame from. make it like a quick disconnect type of thing. all i would have to do is make something to go from the bottom of the plow frame back to brace the bottom. If i built the lift low enough, i think it would look pretty good being low slung. Just an idea though.

But anyway, so far so good with it. I just need to get some of my aux. switches in the truck so i can have my interior lights and side lights on the box. That is kind of easy and should not be bad to do.

I need to get my cargo box changed and cleaned up so that i finish painting the whole whole truck 383 green. Then all i need to do is paint the rest of the 3 color camo and i think i am done. :-D

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took a look at the new camo cab cover i bought and it looks like the colors in that match right up with what colors are listed in the TM to paint. i cant wait to get it done... its going to be great! I need to get more WMO though. Im going to need it! :grin:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the doors on this weekend and found out i need a new latch on the right side. something is not right with it. I am going to Kublos tomorrow to put a box on it. a good drive for the truck will be good to clean the engine out. Then this weekend i will get the oil changed too.

Also this weekend, i pulled my cargo cover out of my M105 and opened it up to find that mice chewed a hole in it! :evil::evil: Im not happy at all. good side of it is that it is on the top and maybe i can have it patched with the material from the broken soft top i have. ill have to check threads to see if anybody has done it. darn mice. i shouldnt have left it in the trailer.... should have brought it in the shop i guess. :(

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the new box on today at kublos. It eas hotter than.... well it was hot. When they took my old box off, i painted the frame snd cross members. I brought all my wire brushes and paint mixing stuff for the spray gun. Before the new box went on, i painted the front of it because if i didnt, i would not have been able to paint it. I left happy but extremely tired out after working for 5 hours in the hot sun wirebrushing and painting. So the truck is down to our shop now behind the house and im relaxing because i am so tired. Yet i cant sleep because i know i could do a little more on it tonight. Im going to remove all of the reflectors and replace a broken pig tail before painting it tomorrow. I need some sleep bad. I should hit the hay earlyand get up before the sun to get the work done before it gets hot...... or maybe ill just go take only one relector off tonight..... to be continued!

Edit:

I added pictures to show how the sides of the box were bent in a little right in them middle. it looks like the box was picked up with the "lifting hooks" on the side of the box in the middle and the chain must have pinched the sides of the box in. Dad and I used a Port-a-power, a cast iron studebaker engine block and another cast iron block to push against the sides with. we pumped it up to a little past straight and dad gave it a good wack with the sledge and when the pressure was taken off the port-a-power, it was straight as an arrow. The one picture shows how it was bent, and both sides were about the same. not much, but enough that it needed attention. I was really happy how it came out.... it really was right on the money, both sides, first time! SWEET! :D

Attachments

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have more pictures, but this was the only one i could get off my phone... This shows the new box fixed and freshly painted 383 Green. Last night we got all the 3 color camo on and i re-registered the truck on my lunch break today..... put the soft top on tonight and the window glass..... i'll be in style!

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I have about a 120 pound rock that was in the back of the truck, I think I’ll put that in my flower bed at my house... whenever the closing date will be. It will be a nice souvenir. :grin:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove the truck to work this morning and had it inspectected on my lunch break. I still have to put the door glass in and wire up the back up lights. Pretty much just litttle odds and ends now. I also bought everything for an oil change last night. I will drain the water out of the cooling system tonight and put in antifreeze. little projects tonight, i will try to add more pictures tomorrow. By the way, these attached pictures do not show the soft top on it. i installed the new soft top before i went to work this morning. :grd:

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck looks excellent. What a great job you did bringing the truck back.
On the positive side, despite the mishap you were in a condition that allowed you to do all the work. You went over the truck with a fine tooth comb, undoubtedly fixing and replacing some things that you came across on the way, perhaps not related to the accident. The truck is now in pristine shape!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks