• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a M1009 w/ a car dolly

rfischba1

Plan on moving a M1009 about 6 miles, can I use a U Haul car dolly and a 3/4 ton PU to drive the short distance home? Most of the roads are not posted over 50 MPH. The info on the dolly says max load 3900lbs, the 1009 weight is about 5200. Unlock hubs, transmission in netural??? What do you think??

Crash_AF

UHaul dollies are only rated for a 30x9.50/15 tire so the straps won't fit. You might not even be able to get the Blazer between the fenders of the dolly.

If it slave starts, you might be better off driving it with a trail vehicle or towing it with a strap if the brakes work since it's only 6 miles.

Later,
Joe

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have driven vehicles off of Fort Meade. The only kicker being not out of the lot. I towed them outside the gate and then fired them up and drove them. Make sure you have insurance on it and depending on where you are going a temp tag. I towed our M1009 behind the dolly that was being towed by my suburban. My son Noah was driving it but it had a vacum leak and would not shift so we left it running and in neutral and used a stap from the dolly with Noah steering and applying the brakes as required. Are you right there in Odenton?

rfischba1

Not that far up the road in Jessup. You mentioned a dolly, is there a larger model I could rent that will accomadate a blazer? U Haul models are too small.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think David meant the shelter dolly he won on the same sale as his M1009.

If it won't fit on a tow dolly, then I would probably agree with using a tow strap or tow bar with someone steering and braking in the M1009 (provided it has brakes).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
rfischba1 , you are from Ft Meade. I'd imagine there must be someone close by that would loan you a towbar. Even if you have to go 30 miles to get it or more, its worth it. Check with the Chaplain or bkubu to see if any are near by and would loan you one. I've loaned mine out dozens of times.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good point Kenny: I forgot to offer the use of mine. :oops: I'm kind of far (~50 miles) away (north of Baltimore), but if you need it, let me know. I will need it in the next few weeks to move a truck, but I'll see what I can do.

Do you have a pintle hitch available for your truck? I guess if you're using the deuce you would, but given you were asking about a tow dolly, I thought you were maybe using a pickup or something. I have some magnetic towing lights you can also borrow if needed.

When were you going to try and pick up the truck? I will be down there picking up another truck in a few weeks after the EUC paperwork goes through.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FOREVER! :D Since I put the turbo kit on last year, it's like a whole new truck! And, it's only got 79K on it, so I can use for a long time to come.

It's funny, two people actually asked me if I wanted to sell it while I was at Aberdeen, but like I told them: It would be too hard (or expensive) to find a replacement. The only thing it lacks is OD (of both varieties - paint and gearing). Both can be fixed... 8)

mangus580

CUCVFAN said:
FOREVER! :D Since I put the turbo kit on last year, it's like a whole new truck! And, it's only got 79K on it, so I can use for a long time to come.

It's funny, two people actually asked me if I wanted to sell it while I was at Aberdeen, but like I told them: It would be too hard (or expensive) to find a replacement. The only thing it lacks is OD (of both varieties - paint and gearing). Both can be fixed... 8)
Was it yours sitting there idling across the aisle while I was loading the M37 and such?

rfischba1

I have a pintle hitch on the duce, the PU also has one but its a civilian style, does the same tow bar for a duce work with the CUCV? Or is there a smaller version of tow bar?

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is the medium version. It can be used on either. I have towed CUCV's with it. I have the correct feet for the CUCV and M35. The towbar fits my civilian pintle adapter (it's the size of the one on the CUCV's).

rfischba1

I will stay in contact, if I win my bid I may need to borrow it in a month or two. let me know if you need me to check out the Ft. Meade GL lot for vechile conditions, being retired I have acess to base.

Alredneck

Banned
Yea im gonna go with Recovery x2, 6 miles aint far at all by time you sart calling everyone, going here and there, you and a buddy coulda had it pulled there with a strap or chain. If possibile do it at night or early in the morning if you are worried about traffic. Just make sure your brakes are good in the vehicles being towed and remember if it dont run you wont have power brakes. Good luck whichever you choose, Captain

Bobert

I towed mine 30 miles. Uhaul said my 3/4 ton truck could not pull the weight of the blazer. Budget wanted to rent me a truck with the trailer.

A smaller place in town gove me one to tow my "ford focus".

It balrely fit in every dimension, and left i nice groove in my sidewall when it turned.

Towed alright though.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks