• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a M105a2 w/ civilian Pick Up ?

RKBA

Here is a thread on my modified M105. Changed the axle to bring it down to earth a little. Has worked great for the last year. If you need the size/capacity, M105 is great. If you dont need size/capacity hold out for M101.

M105 as utility trailer - IH8MUD.com
I've admired those photos more than a few times while gathering web information on mil trailers. Nice job.

Every time I see your trailer, this is my thought:

Have you considered removing the overloads and some of the leafs in the main pack?

The M105 spring set up with just the main leaf and the following six is probably brutally overkill for a single axle hauler.

HJ-45

Have you considered removing the overloads and some of the leafs in the main pack?

The M105 spring set up with just the main leaf and the following six is probably brutally overkill for a single axle hauler.
I think initially, I considered modifying the leafpack, but became frustrated when I tried to research new ubolt and hardware for a thinner pack. I decided to Keep It Simple Stupid and leave it alone. Threading another inch on the existing ubolts was all that was necessary due to the smaller diameter axle. As it turned out, the height was good and the trailer sits level and tows fine. I was also interested in maintaining the 3000lb capacity and figured leaving the springs the way they were would maintain that goal.

RKBA

I think initially, I considered modifying the leafpack, but became frustrated when I tried to research new ubolt and hardware for a thinner pack. I decided to Keep It Simple Stupid and leave it alone. Threading another inch on the existing ubolts was all that was necessary due to the smaller diameter axle. As it turned out, the height was good and the trailer sits level and tows fine. I was also interested in maintaining the 3000lb capacity and figured leaving the springs the way they were would maintain that goal.
I suppose that the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it" applies.

Out of curiosity, have you ever had it weighed?

196thprober

I had someone make up a sturdy pintle for the 105 with 11" rise from the receiver on my 1/2 ton civ truck. Trailer still tilts down a little. DO NOT open tailgate of truck! I just use it for moving the trailer around if I don't have the deuce there or a short recovery. Keep plenty of distance between whatever is in front of you while driving.

jeepin

Surge system is pretty easy. The master cylinder is the same as a Jeep master cylinder. Take out the two bolts holding it in the assembly (the outer bolt has two nuts inside as spacers - they are supposed to be loose on the bolt) Once out you can see the spring clip on the main piston, take that out and you can clean it up, rebuild as needed. At the auto parts store ask for a master cylinder (or rebuild kit) for a 1960 CJ5. The only thing different is the cover, just reuse your old cover. You can PM me if you have questions, I have done a few of these...

tpfreund

Can I move an M105A2 with a pick up truck with no air brakes

Hi All. Just purchased an M105A2 trailer for my 5 ton but prefer to not have to drive the 5 ton all the way to Ohio to pick it up. Two questions: First is can I get the trailer to "free wheel" with out having the air brakes hooked up if I use a pick up truck? Second is I am wondering if the jack swings all the way to the up position since the tongue of the trailer will be so low when its hooked to my F350. Thanks

M105A2.jpgM105A2 Tongue.jpg

tpfreund

Awesome. Thanks for the help. To evacuate the tank is it similiar to air tanks on trucks with a bleed cable or is there something else that needs to be done in order to do that?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've towed about a dozen of them with my Dodge and never heard of emptying the air tank.

Just flip the parking brakes up, put lights on it, hook up and go.

Although without brakes it can a be problematic to stop it with a small pickup.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've towed many 105s with my F350, make sure you take a high lift jack (farm jack) to help lower the trailer on to the hitch. The landing gear does not retract low enough couple up. Also run the air pressure in the trailer tires at about 20 psi, it will reduce bouncing down the road. Don't sweat the air tank, make sure the hand brakes are released.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?29458-M105-Trailer-Recovery-Brakes-on-Fire , post 7.

Here's how I understand it:

The air over hydraulic system has 2 air subsystems - a primary and secondary. Primary takes care of braking via the brake pedal. If the primary system loses pressure (as in a breakaway), then the pressure in the secondary system is applied to the brakes.

Well and good but how does this apply to towing with a pickup truck with no air involved? If the secondary system is closed and containing air at ambient pressure, and the primary system is unpressurized and open, and then you ascend a decent hill.... the pressure in the secondary system will increase and may activate the brakes.

It seems to me the effect should be minimal, but in reading up on this prior to retrieving an M105A2 I found people who had the brakes activate behind a pickup truck when there were significant changes in elevation. The solution is to open the tank drain so that it isn't a closed system.

If I'm wrong, please enlighten me. (Seriously, I'm still learning)

m715mike

image.jpg

As far as size goes, my M105A2 came home from GL behind something much smaller than a Ford 1-ton truck. It pulled just fine and there were no breaking issues on my recovery trip.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?29458-M105-Trailer-Recovery-Brakes-on-Fire , post 7.

Here's how I understand it:

The air over hydraulic system has 2 air subsystems - a primary and secondary. Primary takes care of braking via the brake pedal. If the primary system loses pressure (as in a breakaway), then the pressure in the secondary system is applied to the brakes.

Well and good but how does this apply to towing with a pickup truck with no air involved? If the secondary system is closed and containing air at ambient pressure, and the primary system is unpressurized and open, and then you ascend a decent hill.... the pressure in the secondary system will increase and may activate the brakes.

It seems to me the effect should be minimal, but in reading up on this prior to retrieving an M105A2 I found people who had the brakes activate behind a pickup truck when there were significant changes in elevation. The solution is to open the tank drain so that it isn't a closed system.

If I'm wrong, please enlighten me. (Seriously, I'm still learning)
A stuck relay and the tip was to not hook up air on recovery by the current which you want have with a civi truck. That explains why I have never seen the problem and my trailers have been both styles.

:)

saddamsnightmare

June 12th, 2015.

The M105 is too much trailer for any civilian pickup, I don't care how you modify the trailer or the truck. They were designed for a two and a half ton medium truck, and even your 2500/3500 's are mere toys by comparison. If you get into a wreck pulling an oversize/overweight (for your truck's design) trailer, particularly with no service brakes, your insurance will leave you sitting on the roadside footing whatever bill you have created.

Even a 2-1/4 ton Unimog does not like the M105 due to its geometry and balance, and by comparison an American or Japanese civilian truck is no match for a Unimog. I could move the trailer at low speeds on rough terrain using the gears, but your civilian truck is not built for that kind of moving work.....

Wait until you find a serviceable M101, that would be the safest way to go if you must have a trailer for your civilian pickup.:roll:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
June 12th, 2015.

The M105 is too much trailer for any civilian pickup, I don't care how you modify the trailer or the truck. They were designed for a two and a half ton medium truck, and even your 2500/3500 's are mere toys by comparison. If you get into a wreck pulling an oversize/overweight (for your truck's design) trailer, particularly with no service brakes, your insurance will leave you sitting on the roadside footing whatever bill you have created.

Even a 2-1/4 ton Unimog does not like the M105 due to its geometry and balance, and by comparison an American or Japanese civilian truck is no match for a Unimog. I could move the trailer at low speeds on rough terrain using the gears, but your civilian truck is not built for that kind of moving work.....

Wait until you find a serviceable M101, that would be the safest way to go if you must have a trailer for your civilian pickup.:roll:

For a civvy truck it's really hard to beat an M1101. Especially if your civvy truck is lifted.

Most of your 3/4 ton or 1ton trucks will tow an M105 just fine, empty.... full is something else entirely.

From experience I can tell you that handling and braking distances are unaffected with an empty M105 behind my 1ton dodge.

Last edited:
June 12th, 2015.

The M105 is too much trailer for any civilian pickup, I don't care how you modify the trailer or the truck.

Really? Chevy 1/2 tons can tow 11,900lbs, 3/4 17,900lbs, 1 tons 23,200lbs. New axle w/brakes, no problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks