• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

towing/recovery charges

fcdrifter13

Ok a bunch of people around here like to go wheeling, and like most they get stuck. I have been kind enough to always help my friends out but now the friend of a friend calls have started and it isn't worth my time to do it for free. So I got an idea in my head to start charging for the service for them and any other passer bus. What is the standard recovery fee, if any. Is it based on hours strait or based on a destination charge then hours

AaronW

Like you, I have been doing it for free for too long. I am starting to get the same calls as you now.

I'm thinking, at a minimum, we need to cover fuel and our time.

3dAngus

I've pondered the problem of friends of friends calling if I had my Deuce with winch.

For me, $2 per mile and $20-25 per hour for time would work. If not good for them, I guess they can call a wrecker, cause my time is worth more than that.

A person's generosity should only go so far. People take advantage. So, put in limits.
If someone did that for me, I would be thrilled to work with them. (Someone has-Thank you again)

Of course, that wouldn't apply to SS members. Hey, we all need a little bit of help sometime.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won't charge to pull someone out. I'm not real comfortible with what my insurance company might say if something went wrong.

I just decide on who I'll help (and accept the risk with) and who I won't. I pulled a scout leaders car out of some nasty mud in the rain because I was completely sure if I ripped the frame out from under it she wouldn't sue me.

A lot of people are licensed as a regular truck and insured with no restrictions, so they would probably be ok. Those tagged as historical or running speciality insurance should make sure their six is covered.

I'll help my good friends, but when the friends of friends start calling - I'm busy. I have to put my family, house & future first in today's "I'll sue you for anything world".

Bighurt

I used to get calls all the time when I had my big lifted chevy. Started as friends and then the rumurs spread.When I started looking into the legal thing, I stopped not only insurance, but in some states it's illegal to perform wrecker services on highways. Most of the calls I got were snow related from sliding off the highway in winter.I still carry equipment with me and plan to put a winch on the F350, but don't plan to act as a wrecker only self rescue stuff.Cheers

rlwm211

The going rate around here for a winch out of a regular car from a "normal" situation is 100. Trucks, well that is another story.

I have used both my deuce and my suburban to pull stranded vehicles out of snowbanks, ditches etc. I am very picky about who I help.

If you are pulling some fool out of a quagmire they got themself into, you risk getting stuck yourself, breaking a winch or equipment, or your truck itself.

If you damage the vehicle you are assisting, you might end up on the end of a lawsuit for damages from some owner who will claim that you did damage when you "improperly" extricated their vehicle from the mess they got themself into. While it is very likely a jury will tell the plaintiff to pound sand, you have to hire an attorney and play the legal game to get to a place where you are off the hook. To me, it is not worth the money you could make by doing elective towing.

Another problem is that if the local towing company finds out you are doing this without proper insurance, or a license if required (NY requires Wrecker plates and endorsement on your DL) you could get turned in to what ever authority for doing what you are doing.

So, I am picky about who I help, and leave compensation up to the kind heartedness of those I do help. Generally the people who are decent and understand that I bailed their butt out of a jam are decently generous with what they give me.

You can do what you want but be aware of the risks and problems that you may find yourself in. At least then you are making an informed choice as opposed to blindly stumbling into a mess and then going "OH SH#$"

Just my two cents

that is all...
RL

Last edited:

oldMan99

Back in the 80's I owned a "Off road extrication service" I had set rates, proper licenses, proper insurance, damage waivers to be signed by the vehicle owner, plenty of properly rated equipment and training/experience to use it.

I had a vehicle and equipment able to get into places that normal wreckers could not and would not go.

Overall it was a money loosing deal. No matter how you rig for a winch pull damage is a possibility. Even after explaining this to the owner, having the waiver signed and immediately prior to the damage happening warning the owner that it would likely happen and getting verbal permission to continue, you are still subject to be sued and just as noted above, once in court your lawyer may well be able to have you relieved of financial responsibility for the damage, but lawyers are not free and neither is your time.

People rarely carry enough cash with them while out playing in the mud/woods/desert so you have to accept a check or payment after the fact. Often you will never get paid. If you insist on payment up front and then are not able to effect the recovery, they want a full refund. No matter how badly they got themselves stuck, no matter how far you had to go just to get to them, no matter what time of day/night/holiday/wife's birthday, no matter how long you worked on trying to help them and no matter how much or your expensive equipment you broke in the effort.

I finally gave it up. Would I even think about doing it w/o the proper licenses, insurance and truck plates? No way. It is really nice to be able to help people but these days it is just not worth it. If it is a known friend that I know will/has helped me, no problem. My friends know not to give out my number. If it is a family member of a friend, I'll probably go. A friend of a friend of a friend... I'm really sorry but I just can not accept the liability anymore. Not to mention it gets the truck all dirty and you know the "Stuckee" is not going to come over and wash the truck for you, much less pay got a broken winch cable, or whatever.

A SS member that posts he is stuck and asking for help? (And is not 4 or 6 states away like the last two...) Sure. That is different. You guys are family... :) (Bet you still don't come wash my truck though...lol)

If you are going to do it, I would highly recommend you become exceedingly familiar with numerous different techniques of extrication and review the equipment list I posted previously and then get 50% more stuff than that. Read the instructional TM that was posted in that same thread, (A couple pages before my post). Read it several times and then go practice all the techniques in the manual. If you start charging, you become a "Professional" and in court you will be held to a higher standard than you would as a simple "Good Samaritan " And don't forget licenses, (City, county and sometimes state) insurance, properly licensed vehicle, some places even require certain training certifications and truck/equipment inspections/certification.... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/62241-help-need-pulled-out-mud-houston-pasadena-tx-7.html

Hope this helps some...

nk14zp

Back in the 80's I owned a "Off road extrication service" I had set rates, proper licenses, proper insurance, damage waivers to be signed by the vehicle owner, plenty of properly rated equipment and training/experience to use it.

I had a vehicle and equipment able to get into places that normal wreckers could not and would not go.

Overall it was a money loosing deal. No matter how you rig for a winch pull damage is a possibility. Even after explaining this to the owner, having the waiver signed and immediately prior to the damage happening warning the owner that it would likely happen and getting verbal permission to continue, you are still subject to be sued and just as noted above, once in court your lawyer may well be able to have you relieved of financial responsibility for the damage, but lawyers are not free and neither is your time.

People rarely carry enough cash with them while out playing in the mud/woods/desert so you have to accept a check or payment after the fact. Often you will never get paid. If you insist on payment up front and then are not able to effect the recovery, they want a full refund. No matter how badly they got themselves stuck, no matter how far you had to go just to get to them, no matter what time of day/night/holiday/wife's birthday, no matter how long you worked on trying to help them and no matter how much or your expensive equipment you broke in the effort.

I finally gave it up. Would I even think about doing it w/o the proper licenses, insurance and truck plates? No way. It is really nice to be able to help people but these days it is just not worth it. If it is a known friend that I know will/has helped me, no problem. My friends know not to give out my number. If it is a family member of a friend, I'll probably go. A friend of a friend of a friend... I'm really sorry but I just can not accept the liability anymore. Not to mention it gets the truck all dirty and you know the "Stuckee" is not going to come over and wash the truck for you, much less pay got a broken winch cable, or whatever.

A SS member that posts he is stuck and asking for help? (And is not 4 or 6 states away like the last two...) Sure. That is different. You guys are family... :) (Bet you still don't come wash my truck though...lol)

If you are going to do it, I would highly recommend you become exceedingly familiar with numerous different techniques of extrication and review the equipment list I posted previously and then get 50% more stuff than that. Read the instructional TM that was posted in that same thread, (A couple pages before my post). Read it several times and then go practice all the techniques in the manual. If you start charging, you become a "Professional" and in court you will be held to a higher standard than you would as a simple "Good Samaritan " And don't forget licenses, (City, county and sometimes state) insurance, properly licensed vehicle, some places even require certain training certifications and truck/equipment inspections/certification.... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/62241-help-need-pulled-out-mud-houston-pasadena-tx-7.html

Hope this helps some...
Very well said.

JUNKYARDJOHN

I've got a 69 c-30 wreaker that I've had for about 15 years. I tell everyone who asks, that it's just for pulling my junk around. I really don't know how anyone can get away without one.:smile: John

maynard83

If in the end you do decide to help out and charge a fee, the best thing would be "Cash Only"
and a verbal commitment that any damage is not your responsibility. That way if in the event something happens you can say that all you asked for was some "gas money". Even that can get you in hot water because, in my experience, those who have no problem volunteering you for help are most likely those who will sue or get you in trouble.
You need to think long and hard before you decide what to do.

rlwm211

When I say I am very picky, I am saying it is either family, or a friend. I do not stop when I see someone stuck unless they flag me down. I then stop and if they ask for assistance I offer to call 911. If it was a serious emergency I would do what was needed.

NY state is a litigious enclave of bottom feeding tort/personal injury lawsuit attorneys who file suit for the most ridiculous events, regardless of the validity of their claims. I am always mindful of this as it is the reality we live in here.

There is some great advice here in this thread and I would heed and learn from the experience if you can.

That is all
RL

D T

someone I know was snatching a stuck truck,they used a cable,it snapped,brand new truck,big dent in the roof,broken windshield ,ruined hood,where do you go from there!

maynard83

NY state is a litigious enclave of bottom feeding tort/personal injury lawsuit attorneys who file suit for the most ridiculous events, regardless of the validity of their claims. I am always mindful of this as it is the reality we live in here.
I think CA has NY beat!

someone I know was snatching a stuck truck,they used a cable,it snapped,brand new truck,big dent in the roof,broken windshield ,ruined hood,where do you go from there!

Remember to keep a heavy blanket to throw over the cable, helps sometimes by making the cable dropp if it breaks, instead of taking off where ever it wants to go, dosnt always work though

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think CA has NY beat!
Which is why I am SELECTIVE with my Historically tagged, speciality insured MV. There are plenty of professional tow companies in SOCAL that can help. Good friends, scouts, etc, then I'll look and see what I can do. Other than that, try the yellow pages.

:cool:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sandy's Towing, Dayton, Ohio.

(937) 294-6355

They have anything needed for this area.

;-)

sw

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I had my 816 I insured it with Progressive as a "farm vehicle".

As I was writing out the (big fat) check my agent told me that if I towed anything with it on a public highway or incurred any damage while using as a recovery vehicle anywhere except my farm they would not pay.

Tow insurance is high for a reason....sue happy idiots and bottom feeding lawyers.

I would do it in an emergency for friends or family (SS family included) but no one else.

The same with flat towing a vehicle with my deuce.....I have done it in the past but I am out of the business now due to the above reasons.

emr

I would do a few tows for a few bucks, like sayin, hey i can try to get U out, BUT I can not do it for free and there are NO guarantees, i will not ruin my truck , want to give it a try?, I will take 50 to give it a tug and if it goes a hundred,( now thats if i am already close by, drive time would add to this number) but remember this is a private deal and absolutely no responsibility on me, and dont get made if I give up, ..once thats on the table i am fine with a tow, i am not a novice and am not going to flip somebodys truck, so i feel no prob, But i sure respect anyone who would not, and sure see why in this crazy world, now there are times that i have seen a jerk and his stuck jeep, and man this guy was an ass, i pulled up and left , picky is the way to be, i say yes for a few bucks, but just say ahead of time, its 50 cash to hook up, and that is only to try and see where we are at, if they do not realize that is a good approach, leave em.