• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tracks for US halftracks

FrankUSMC

yes, that boat has sailed. For years Gary kept saying to buy them at his price, which was a very good price.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
Owner of a complete 1941 M2 halftrack

battlecr

What Frank said, Gary is out, so is Vector Arms. There has been some discussion about the molds that are suppose to still be in Israel and for sale. (not confirmed) So we hope that some thing will come through or there will be alot halftracks as yard art.

Don G.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The advent of 3D printing is a potential game changer in obsolete parts. We just need some visionary (and well financed) capitalistic military enthusiast(s) to step up and start printing out parts to fill the demand.

The next ten years are gonna be interesting for us OD collectors as replacement parts start being replicated on 3D machinery!

Rick

Mikanator

You may want to look into an aftermarket track. It would not surprise me if enough orders were made, that molds and equipment would be manufactured to build tracks. Isn`t it just a steel link with rubber over-mold?

battlecr

The tracks are a banded rubber track with steel cables and clamps. The dicussion is now moving toward reality, a manufacture in china who also makes sherman tracks. Also possibly weasel tracks. Check my link and see. We are taking about a container load comming back to the states. The more people we can get on board the cheaper the freight costs will be.

Maybe our one and only chance for more tracks for the halftracks.

Don G.

battlecr

This is the latest post over on the "G" It sounds incouraging! Anyone in Europe want to chime in? From Micheal Keller:

The one remaining Chinese excavator track manufacturer who hasn't expressed disinterest in manufacturing tracks has received the sample we sent him. He called today to express his conclusions: "No problem, we can make these."

He asked for information on the rubber composition. I had received information earlier from someone here that the original composition was 100% natural rubber. Does anyone have any information or thoughts on this?

I will start pressing for a price. The terms are the same: how much for a container of 44 tracks? I will keep my fingers crossed that the start-up costs can be absorbed by the purchase of this initial container. I am willing to coordinate and distribute this container for neither fee nor profit. Heck, I haven't made fee nor profit since the 2008 election; why start now?

Would anyone in Europe care to place an order? The order of a second container would surely make this venture more attractive for the manufacturer and the price cheaper for all of us.

I will be in Hong Kong the first week of March and hope to meet with the manufacturer then.

steelypip

If you're going to get one run made I wouldn't go for 100% natural rubber. Get a tire chemist to pick you out an ideal mix, but you want something with better shelf life, UV, ozone resistance and oil resistance than the WWII tracks had. I bet the Israelis used neoprene.

Another Ahab

The advent of 3D printing is a potential game changer in obsolete parts. We just need some visionary (and well financed) capitalistic military enthusiast(s) to step up and start printing out parts to fill the demand.

The next ten years are gonna be interesting for us OD collectors as replacement parts start being replicated on 3D machinery!

Rick
Apparently Arnold Schwarzenegger owns an m4 Sherman; it couldn't hurt to make an overture to him (or his "people"); nothing to lose.

View attachment 468438

battlecr

Okay guys it looks like it's time to commit and get out the wallet. If you need tracks for your halftrack it is getting close. Looks like Mike is getting ready to pull the trigger. If you want to read the whole thread go over to the G503 under the Tracked forum. It has been a long and winding road (someone should write a song, oh wait they did:???:) Here is a copy of the latest info:

All of the MV tire manufacturers have been contacted. No replies, no responses. They may be interested now that we have done most of the leg work but I'm tired of trying to interest them. Anybody else is welcome to contact Coker et al. Tell them to contact me if they want to dance.

To summarize our options:

1. Israeli tracks - $4,500 per track with freight, known performance, unknown construction, minimum purchase 50 tracks.

2. Chinese tracks - $3,000 per track with freight and handling and tooling, known specifications, unknown performance, minimum purchase 50 tracks.

I have expressions of interest in Chinese tracks from 5 buyers. I need 20 more to make this a viable option.

I would also like to hear from those who would prefer the Israeli option.

Email me either way: versilia1127@hushmail.com

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At 6-9 grand for a set of rubber one might think that current rubber track manufacturers would have an interest.
I'm paying close to that to replace tracks on a mini-hoe and T190 bobcat skidsteer so maybe it's not a bad price for bigger tracks.
This is a short link for "Rubber Track Manufacturers" that I pulled up when I was shopping. http://tinyurl.com/mbg7ous

Is there a chance that our cool new technology could reproduce some tracks or have we already knocked on those doors?
http://www.rubbertrackscanada.com/replacement_rubber_tracks.html

We're seeing a ton of companies like Case, Cat, Bobcat, John Deere, Terex and other big boys that are flooding the market with 'rubber track' machines. Just need to suggest they design a dozer that would use the identical track the ol' half-tracks used in the past and start production, :smile:. Wouldn't hurt to send half-track specs and details out to the 'biggs' or rubber track moulders to see if there is any interest. It's a tiny market but availability of tracks could be the decision breaker on collectors buying half-tracks to save.

I'd buy a set of tracks if I could find a cheap M5 to slip them on.

battlecr

If you get chance to read the thread, Mike has doggedly pursued every venue, pretty much every US manufacture thumbed their nose at this. However if we missed something get a hold of Mike. The ideal situation would be all US made but it ain't happening.

Don G.

gerrykan

Weighing the liability of on-road use against the limited profits probably keeps most USA manufacturers out of the game.

battlecr

Okay this the latest, not where Mike want to be price wise, but this may be our one and only shot if you want tracks for your half track from the G503:

[h=3]Re: Who Needs New Tracks for Their Halftrack?????[/h]by Michael Keller » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:34 am
I'm meeting with the Israelis in Washington on October 15. Shortly thereafter I hope to place an order for a full shipping container of tracks. That will be 50 tracks or 25 pairs of tracks. That will require deposits from the buyers who have expressed an interest in buying tracks. If there are not sufficient deposits to order the container, there will be no tracks for anyone.

I am sharing what I have learned, both technically and the vendor prices, with the Israelis. I'm still trying to hammer the price down if possible but everyone should be prepared for a price in the neighborhood of $4,000 per track. I surely wish we could have gotten a better price, and perhaps that will occur if I keep pushing, but a better price will be somewhere between a hope and a prayer.

Everyone needs to remember: this is the only shot at getting tracks. Period. Anyone who has said they want to buy tracks who may be hesitant to part with the deposit money the Israelis will require needs to let me know now so I don't make a fool out of all of us in Washington.

I'm open to how to handle the money. The simplest way is to open a dedicated bank account and wire the deposit and the balance to the Israeli's bank. I don't really care if it's me or someone else handling the money. Whoever handles the money will, of course, have to provide full contact info, including address, email, phone, etc. Never having done anything like this, I'm clueless on the best way to handle it.

I will receive and distribute the tracks to the buyers via US freight pre-paid by the owners of the tracks. If we get that far.

datadawg

I'm open to how to handle the money. The simplest way is to open a dedicated bank account and wire the deposit and the balance to the Israeli's bank. I don't really care if it's me or someone else handling the money. Whoever handles the money will, of course, have to provide full contact info, including address, email, phone, etc. Never having done anything like this, I'm clueless on the best way to handle it.
I'm in the financing business and see a couple issues with your quandary. 1) You want to make sure all prospective buyers honor their commitment and pay; 2) the buyers want to make sure their deposit or payment does not get misappropriated and they receive merchandise; and 3) you want the tracks to arrive without prepayment, lest the supplier default, whereas the supplier won't ship without payment, lest you default.
There are lots of other issues, but one way to deal with #3 is to open an LC (letter of credit) at a bank with a large retail presence and have each buyer deposit their payment into an account at the bank. You all can sign an agreement amongst yourselves that the funds in the account will be used to pay for the tracks. That way the funds are not walking and the buyers are going to pay. The LC basically allows the bank to guarantee the supplier it will get paid once certain documents are presented. The conditions of payment are negotiated b/w buyer and seller, but could be things like delivery of bill of lading for merchandise showing it's shipped or release of merchandise from US customs, etc. The bank that issues the LC will then tie up each bank account as security, so if it pays on the LC, it will reach the funds in each account.

Another issue to be concerned about is customs clearance/duties/and import restrictions on military parts. No clue if this is an issue, but someone should research it.

BTW, I don't have a halftrack, so don't need tracks. Just offering some input. But the photo on my avatar is from an Israeli halftrack when we visited the country last year.

PaFarmer

Datadog that was a nice post. I have been in on group buys in the past at lesser sums, but having all buyers put up the funds to back the LOC is a great idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks