• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tracks for US halftracks

battlecr

[h=3]Okay looks we're back in business and moving and for less money. Mike is still working but the Israeli option seems to be coming together.

Don G.[/h][h=3]Re: Who Needs New Tracks for Their Halftrack?????[/h]by Michael Keller » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:44 am
I received a confirmation from the Israelis today that, based on the information we have provided, they will be able to produce tracks for somewhere in the $2-3,000 range. The only way to get cheaper tracks would be to make them in Thailand or some other Asian area with cheap labor. Making tracks is very labor intensive and requires 3 man-days per track. That amount of labor cost $1,600 in Israel but only $100 in Thailand. I have offered to participate directly in setting up manufacturing somewhere in Asia.

The Israelis don't like our cable bid and prefer their cables and cable prices. Their cables are brass coated to increase rubber adhesion. Okey-dokey.

They use a "low hardness nail" to fasten the crossbars instead of machine screws. I think nail actually means a rivet, which is perfectly acceptable.

I believe that what everyone will hear eventually is a call for an order for a container of tracks at the most reasonable price that can be achieved. After I make that call for the first container order, and the finances are coordinated by Rob Ross, my work on this project will be finished. If not enough guys step forward to purchase that first container, this project will still be completed and there may well be no tracks for anyone again.

On other fronts, the Ohio manufacturer is still mulling this project over. Ditto the French manufacturer. But as we all know, the Israelis are the only ones who have already climbed the learning curve and who have a proven track record.

battlecr

Okay here is the latest on tracks. Looks like they are being manufactured in the Netherlands. Still not much known about the engineering, testing, and cost. There is a dealer set up in the US. For more info here is the link to the thread on the "g"
http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=228085&start=1035

However as far as I know they are still pursuing getting tracks manufactured in the US. I would suppose it all comes down to price.

Don G.

[h=3]Re: Who Needs New Tracks for Their Halftrack?????[/h]by scotty71 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:04 pm
Just a glimpse of what to expect......
Attachments
11554_10203495685729658_2408165489997933611_n.jpg (80.1 KiB) Viewed 139 times
10897893_10203495685209645_7489966506046426177_n.jpg (70.44 KiB) Viewed 139 times
1618637_10203495684769634_5481767380999017418_n.jpg (62.76 KiB) Viewed 139 times

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cheap like borscht but that was like being in a 2775 round boxing match for you guys. Do we owe the Netherlands a thank you?

Something about someone being grateful for something happened 70 years ago and just wanted to help out. People can be amazing, thanks Harold.

Certainly makes it worthy to go dig a few out of the bush. Thanks for the update Don.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wish someone would start reproducing 114 track. I have an idea, it will be labor intensive. But as long as the cleats are still serviceable, it might be an option. Waiting to hear back to see if it's doable from a materials perspective.

battlecr

Patracy: latest on the "G" thought you might be interested:

[h=3]Re: Who Needs New Tracks for Their Halftrack?????[/h]by Michael Keller » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:08 pm
StarPoint will have a booth at the MVPA convention in June in Topeka. They will have samples and examples of the cables and hardware, as well as samples of rubber from their track molds.

All of the hardware and mold has been produced from the data gleaned in these 74 pages. These tracks will be identical to the originals, not "new and improved". There will be no secrets.

I have asked StarPointfor a schedule of engineering and manufacturing events prior to tracks being available for sale. I will publish this schedule as soon as it is available.

StarPoint intends to also provide M2 HST tracks using the same mold. Weasel and M114 tracks may follow if they are successful wiht HT and HST tracks. They anticipate the same headaches developing other tracks, but having been down the road with HT tracks and having a staff of engineers instead of amateurs like me will make the process much easier.

As an aside, StarPoint will provide $100 per track to the Burmese Children's Medical Fund in Mae Sot, Thailand. Look up BCMF Thailand if interested. Email Kanchana (Kan for short) there if you have questions. This $100 additional charge is my fee for distributing the tracks for StarPoint.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting. If they turn out to be good/durable tracks, it seems like a worthwhile investment. I picked up a set of NOS ones for one side for $65 a section. ($650 a side) Problem is, they've been sitting outside. So we'll see how useable they are.

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wish someone would start reproducing 114 track. I have an idea, it will be labor intensive. But as long as the cleats are still serviceable, it might be an option. Waiting to hear back to see if it's doable from a materials perspective.
Only problem with producing new tracks for the M114 is the very limited number of them in private hands. there are more than likely 20-50 half tracks for every one privately owned M114. Going to be very hard to get any savings from economies of scale. Not trying to throw cold water on the idea, but with a severally limited market, going to be hard make them cost effective.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Only problem with producing new tracks for the M114 is the very limited number of them in private hands. there are more than likely 20-50 half tracks for every one privately owned M114. Going to be very hard to get any savings from economies of scale. Not trying to throw cold water on the idea, but with a severally limited market, going to be hard make them cost effective.
Yes, I understand. On the upside, the 114 tracks have been used on weasels I know. So there's a second market for them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks