• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer buying advice needed

citizensoldier

Re: RE: Trailer buying advice needed

tsmall07 said:
citizensoldier said:
the A2 has a serge brake set up that is very handy when loaded and you need to stop in a hurry..
I'm looking at GL now and can't find a single m101 a2 with a surge brake. Are there any other qualifiers that I should look for to find one with a surge brake?
I dont have any more to sell right now and they seem to come and go in waves on GL.. Plus you are a long long way from me.. But I will cram it in one of my two brain cells and if I find one I will pass it along to you.
I have two here and sold one to a guy in Fl.. but its kind of like a gun to me.. They will have to pry them from my cold dead hands.. :D
I use them for everything from Storage to hauling fire wood out of some real rough places.. Wherever you go they follow you.. :shock:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Trailer buying advice needed

I was looking at 101s on GL today and there were many with surge brakes

piercedtiger

RE: Re: RE: Trailer buying advice needed

Good info here guys! Thanks a lot! I was looking at a 105 to haul 1-ton pallets of wood pellets once a month or so during the winter, but was concerned about setting up brakes on it for a civy truck.

Now I know I can get a 101A2 with surge brakes so I don't need to mess with that, and it could probably handle the extra 500 lbs. Is that right? Rated for 1,500lbs, but could easily handle 2,000lbs from what you guys say?

I just want something where the forklift driver can just load the whole pallet instead of hand stacking them in my bed each time, and then unloading them again as soon as I get home. I'm thinking I could just leave the pallet in the trailer until we need to go get more.

Also, since this is a decision making thread, where do you get replacement tires? Should probably figure that out before I bid on one on Gl! :D Thanks!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 101 can withstand some tought use, and can be overloaded and still be OK.. Just make sure the brakes work, and your tires are in good shape. Any civilian tire will work.. I've seen Coopers and GoodYears on CUCV's and 101's...

piercedtiger

emmado22 said:
The 101 can withstand some tought use, and can be overloaded and still be OK.. Just make sure the brakes work, and your tires are in good shape. Any civilian tire will work.. I've seen Coopers and GoodYears on CUCV's and 101's...
Good to know! What size tires? Seems like I saw 900x16 or something like that mentioned before, but I'm not familiar with that size. Thanks again for the help!

I'm thinking this might be a good platform for an expedition/camping trailer a few years down the line. (certainly cheaper than the pre-made "adventure" trailers costing around $13k :shock: )

piercedtiger

great! Appreciate the info! I can probably order some on tirerack then and maybe another wheel so I have a spare. I'm thinking maybe I can weld a spare tire mount from a jeep or something to the front of the trailer so it's accessible, yet out of the way.

Mike_Pop

I've tried mounting the spare tire on the front of the M101 and it makes the tongue a little heavy to lift. So, I put mine over one of the wheel wells. I'll probably get a mount for it to go underneath the bed.

piercedtiger

oh... hmmmm.... I was thinking underneath would be a pain to change on a muddy or rocky trail if needed. Maybe on the wheel well like you mentioned so it's balanced between front and rear, and not stuck underneath in the mud! :D

piercedtiger

^ nice! That's exactly what I had in mind!

How does it affect tongue weight? I'm assuming I could just balance it out with a load anyway.

Mike_Pop

That's a great spot for it but if you ever load your trailer up like I do, then it's very difficult to lift the tongue and put it on your hitch. BTW...very nice looking trailer!

piercedtiger

I'm lazy..... I don't load trailers until they are hooked to something.... :lol: Could always pull out the Hi-Lift if needed I guess. It's always in the back of my truck.

Mike_Pop

I use my trailer to haul trash to the landfill so it usually has a bunch of garbage in it. Overall, I've found the M101 to be incredibly useful.

piercedtiger

grrrr..... So there's more 105's than 101's available. Thoughts on getting a 105 and switching the brakes over to work with a surge or electric controller?

Also, anyone know off hand what size tires are on the 105's? I see it's a 6lug some I'm assuming different size than a 101, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again!

piercedtiger

OK, I don't have an M35 or any military surplus nearby. I'm assuming I'll have to buy civy tires locally or some place like tirerack.com. Unless you know a good place to get them? Another wheel or two for spares would be nice too. One to mount on the trailer, and maybe an extra for expedition use in case we get more that one flat.

Is there an equivalent sized tire and maybe wheel as well? I know there is with the M101. Still trying to decide if I should wait for a 101 to be available or get a 105.

Blythewoodjoe

I have a M105 trailer bed mounted on a civilian axle and 3" channel iron frame. If you can weld, you might consider getting a M105 (cheap?) and just using the bed and making your own frame and buying a civilian axle with electric brakes. Half day of work and you can probably sell the left over M105 parts and tires for enough to cover most of the stuff needed for the frame. If you want I can post pictures of a M101 bed I did this to last year. I took lots of pictures incase anyone was interested. I did the M105 trailer about 15 years ago. Very practical and you can outfit it with bows and top if you want to realy fit in at MV events.

Joe Trapp

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks