• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer buying advice needed

piercedtiger

Thanks Joe! That would be cool! I know I can get civy parts at a local u-pull yard, but military grade might be a little harder. :lol:

I do have a welder, grinder and chop saw..... Planning on a plasma cutter this summer too now that they've come down to around $500.

I have a couple steel plants around I could buy stock at if needed as well.

uglysteve

I found a M101a2 that I want to buy. But I may need to fix the surge breaks. Are parts available? Is there a civilan truck that uses the same break parts? Is there a good internet parts source? Are rebuild kits available for the surge break?
Thanks,
Steve

Mike_Pop

uglysteve said:
I found a M101a2 that I want to buy. But I may need to fix the surge breaks. Are parts available? Is there a civilan truck that uses the same break parts? Is there a good internet parts source? Are rebuild kits available for the surge break?
Thanks,
Steve
I've got extra surge brake assemblies if you need parts.

uglysteve

Mike_Pop said:
uglysteve said:
Thanks,
Steve
Can surge breaks be added to an unbreaked m101? There are 2 trailers that I am looking at. The one with the surge break needs some body work. The one with out the break has a better bed. But I need breaks, the unbreaked towing capicity of my Land Rover is about 1600 lbs. A trailer with breaks, about 7700 lbs.
So, that doesnt leave me much room for cargo.
Steve

Mike_Pop

If you want to add surge brakes, you have to change the axle to one that has brake drums on it. Buy both trailers and swap beds.

uglysteve

Mike_Pop said:
If you want to add surge brakes, you have to change the axle to one that has brake drums on it. Buy both trailers and swap beds.
Mike,
I was thinking of getting both, but that would cost more than I would like to spend for the trailer. I think I can fix most of the body damage. I may have to buy break parts from you.
Thanks,
Steve

Mike_Pop

Steve,

I've got two surge brake setups here in Nevada. Both of them just bolt onto the trailer tongue. Sometimes they show up on eBay too.

BSH

Hey, Mike Pop - those Firestones you have on your M101, what model are they? You're running tubes & flaps, right? Can you slap any 16" radial on? I've been contemplating what to do with my trailer, and I really like your solution. I'm interested in a street-friendly, low-cost tire/tube combo for mine.
Thanks.

Mike_Pop

BSH:

Yes, I am running tubes and flaps. You can put any 16" radial on. I think you can even go wider than what I have. The make of the tires are the Transformer AT.

I tried looking for the military NDT tires but they were too expensive and tough to find. A friend of mine put regular 16" truck tires on his M101 so I figured I could too. They are easy to find and you can get just about any tread pattern. I went with an all terrain because I use my trailer off road and I haul my trash to the landfill.

uglysteve

Mike_Pop said:
BSH:

Yes, I am running tubes and flaps. You can put any 16" radial on. I think you can even go wider than what I have. The make of the tires are the Transformer AT.

I tried looking for the military NDT tires but they were too expensive and tough to find. A friend of mine put regular 16" truck tires on his M101 so I figured I could too. They are easy to find and you can get just about any tread pattern. I went with an all terrain because I use my trailer off road and I haul my trash to the landfill.
Brian or Mike,
Sorry for being stupid, but, what do you mean by "flaps"?
Steve

Mike_Pop

Flaps are a rubber ring that goes around the rim. It protects the tube from rust or other particles.

BSH

Mike Pop - thanks a bunch for the info. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a pair of decent second-hand 16" radials, and get the ancient NDTs off of my trailer.

Mike_Pop

Brian,

Just make sure you go to a tire place that can work on the rims. A truck place is where I went. While they aren't split rims, they do have lock rings.

Mike_Pop

Very nice trailer! Replace those front bolts for pins so you can use it as a dump trailer. Mine is very handy for dumping garbage and gravel.

uglysteve

Mike_Pop said:
Very nice trailer! Replace those front bolts for pins so you can use it as a dump trailer. Mine is very handy for dumping garbage and gravel.
Mike,
To use it as a dump trailer, do you have to add a hydraulic ram? It looks like you could lock the parking breaks, remove the 2 bolts, and back up the truck to dump.
How is it done?
Thanks,
Steve

Mike_Pop

Steve,

That is exactly how it is done! You don't need a ram. Gravity will take care of it. The tongue pivots on the rest of the chassis.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks