• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer Idea

mikew

Unforgiven,

No, the trailer axles aren't going to be easy to use. The axle attachment plates use bolts to hold the axles and the trailer axles are just to big for the bolts to clear. Jesusgatos is correct, a set of deuce axles with the axle shafts removed and third members pulled is the easiest and most likely best way, but anything 3.5" or less could be made to work.

I've never measured or calculated the tongue weight. It's too heavy to pickup by yourself but it is easy to crank up on the landing gear.

The bed is mounted with 60% of the bed in front of the centerline of the bogie and 40% behind. The front of the bed is located at the same place on the frame tongue as the M105 bed was. The rear of the frame is flush with the rear of the bed. The two frames are joined together, with the splice at the centerline of the bogie.

Flipping the lunette ring just makes it ride level, I don't think the tongue weight changes any significant amount.

mikew

Or just leave the deuce axles and add driveshafts...
Jesusgatos,

You might be on to something!

If only we could mount a deuce bed on a deuce bogie, extend the frame far enough forward so that there is room for a steering axle, motor and someplace to sit... then we could have the greatest "self propelled trailer" in the world!

mikew

Jesusgatos,

I think you're correct, you could weld them onto the axle tube. I had not considered that because I'm not a certified welder and I'd never trust my own welds in something critical like that!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks