• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer mounted temp ground?

Fry199

New to the group I have several mep 802/803a with manuals and what not. Familar with how they work. Guys qith trailer mounted units what are you doing for temporary ground rods for temporary power?

Thanks

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
New to the group I have several mep 802/803a with manuals and what not. Familar with how they work. Guys qith trailer mounted units what are you doing for temporary ground rods for temporary power?

Thanks
Pretty simple rule is always drive a ground and test it's continuity before making power. Yeah, I know. It can be a pain in the anatomy to drive a ground and test it, but dying is even less fun...

Here is a two page OSHA piece on grounding. It talks about frame ground and the need.

Attachments

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty simple rule is always drive a ground and test it's continuity before making power. Yeah, I know. It can be a pain in the anatomy to drive a ground and test it, but dying is even less fun...

Here is a two page OSHA piece on grounding. It talks about frame ground and the need.
Why are we grounding ? Why are we tieing the trailer to earth ground ? Nothing i know of mobil on rubber tires sinking a ground rod unless maybe the guys that rent the BIG generators for temp service and most of them dont ! Unless you have a solid metal box on your trailer your turning into a feriday cage . And if you do need to put ground rod in the ground carry a gallon of water and a 2 lb thing of table salt and a 4 ft copper rod and 2 lb sledge keep wetting the hole and pouring salt when driving the rod the salt will make a better earth ground than just driving a rod in dry ground !

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Why are we grounding ? Why are we tieing the trailer to earth ground ? Nothing i know of mobil on rubber tires sinking a ground rod unless maybe the guys that rent the BIG generators for temp service and most of them dont ! Unless you have a solid metal box on your trailer your turning into a feriday cage . And if you do need to put ground rod in the ground carry a gallon of water and a 2 lb thing of table salt and a 4 ft copper rod and 2 lb sledge keep wetting the hole and pouring salt when driving the rod the salt will make a better earth ground than just driving a rod in dry ground !
I don't disagree very often, but these MEPs are designed to have ground. It is safety more than anything and bonding the frame and trailer is just one step more - but the code calls for it.

NEC code has a little 3 page doc and about 40 words than talks about grounding.

Attachments

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't disagree very often, but these MEPs are designed to have ground. It is safety more than anything and bonding the frame and trailer is just one step more - but the code calls for it.

NEC code has a little 3 page doc and about 40 words than talks about grounding.
Is the generator mounted on a trailer on rubber tires? Thats my main question cause there would be no difference between a generator running on a parked bus vs a trailr mounted generator because if there was any hint of that senario being code every union electrician i handed my tails to would have put a rod in the ground and that never happend in 30 yrs and them guy dont let you get away with nothing lol

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im seeing that the 802 and 3s are not always mounted on a trailer so is that the reason they have to have a ground rod ?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is the generator mounted on a trailer on rubber tires? Thats my main question cause there would be no difference between a generator running on a parked bus vs a trailr mounted generator because if there was any hint of that senario being code every union electrician i handed my tails to would have put a rod in the ground and that never happend in 30 yrs and them guy dont let you get away with nothing lol
Yes sir. As I understand it, the generator is on the trailer. On rubber tires, but they also don't stay attached to the truck (all the time) and the legs are steel on dirt. So it is similar but different?

Agreed 100% that the card carrying electrician isn't going to let you get away with anything! I did more reading and there are supposedly generators that don't require grounding - but these military generators specify grounding.

Guyfang

Staff member
No. Simply no. If you do not ground the trailer, you become the ground when you walk over to do something to it. I know people who have not just gone to the hospital for getting shocked by a trailer mounted gen set, but have had to be medically retired due to the damage the shock caused their body. The Army kills at least 2 people a yer, due to no ground/improper grounding of trailer mounted gen sets.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No. Simply no. If you do not ground the trailer, you become the ground when you walk over to do something to it. I know people who have not just gone to the hospital for getting shocked by a trailer mounted gen set, but have had to be medically retired due to the damage the shock caused their body. The Army kills at least 2 people a yer, due to no ground/improper grounding of trailer mounted gen sets.
Thanks Guy!

That was what I was attempting to say... These GenSets are a lot like bucket trucks. That ground driven in the dirt makes a better path to ground that the human that walks around the front of the bucket truck - and leans against the truck - as the bucket gets close to an energized line. And when "the juice" jumps from the line to the bucket to "the leaner" really bad things happen.

Think about it in terms of the path of least resistance

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes sir. As I understand it, the generator is on the trailer. On rubber tires, but they also don't stay attached to the truck (all the time) and the legs are steel on dirt. So it is similar but different?

Agreed 100% that the card carrying electrician isn't going to let you get away with anything! I did more reading and there are supposedly generators that don't require grounding - but these military generators specify grounding.
Copy that on them requiring ground rod im always trying to pay attention when useing great big generators we had a cat generator we carried with us on a tour years ago it was so big it was the entire 48 ft trailer and you had to enter walk in doors in the side of it . It would power the show if the buildings didnt have enough power to run both lights and sound plus it would put out distribution ports for all the busses to tie into them to kill all the small generators from running all day and this thing was so quite you would see a puff of smoke ever once in a while when it would cycle i always loved seeing how all of that stuff worked but i pittied the poor guys dragging all that massive cabble out every morning and then back in every nite them boys went straight to bed when we got rolling every nite no lolly gagging around !

Fry199

Let me rephrase guys, I plan on grounding it no problem. I'm looking for a way to efficiently and quickly ground and remove ground rod when I'm done there for the weekend. Or is sledge my best option to drive In. Removal?

Fry199

See comment below I plan on grounding, I'm looking for efficient and quick ways to ground then remove.ground when I'm ready to pack the trailer up and go home

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know you know generators in all forms so for the non knowing like myself for me to understand this why dont i have to tie to a ground rod while running a 25 k generator on a bus or motorhome ?

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me rephrase guys, I plan on grounding it no problem. I'm looking for a way to efficiently and quickly ground and remove ground rod when I'm done there for the weekend. Or is sledge my best option to drive In. Removal?
have you ever seen a t post puller you can get them at tractor supply

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
See comment below I plan on grounding, I'm looking for efficient and quick ways to ground then remove.ground when I'm ready to pack the trailer up and go home
A lot of "quick and efficient" is how involved you want to get in the removal before driving away. I have seen many folks use bolt cutters below the dirt. I was going to suggest a post puller but @chucky beat me to that suggestion. :cool: Another idea is finding the official driver and removal tool that looks a lot like a dent puller on steroids.

Me personally, I think I would try to tools. Then whip out the bolt cutters (below ground level please) and drive on. Good copper clad grounding rods are not so expensive.

Minimum in the dirt should be 4 feet.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll check them out and see if they'll work. Also on my stationary ones I drive the full length rod in to ensure good ground but is that necessary on a quick temporary day or 2 setup? Or will 4 or 5 feet work?
ONnly a meter can tell but an old union electrician showed how to get ground when we couldnt driving in dry ground the water and salt made a hell of a difference on the meter when they would test the difference

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll check them out and see if they'll work. Also on my stationary ones I drive the full length rod in to ensure good ground but is that necessary on a quick temporary day or 2 setup? Or will 4 or 5 feet work?
OR a chain and a high lift jack and a pair of vice grips on the ground rod

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks