• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer mounted temp ground?

Guyfang

Staff member
I was one of those guys dragging cables. In HAWK ADA, I was for many years in the "Jump, or AFP" platoon. We got kicked out to go to a new site so as to set up our missile system, and when we were operational, the Base platoon, as well as another AFP, (Assault Firing Platoon) could move to our, or another position. We had over watch, to cover their asses. When you roll in, you have 60 min to come up to operational status. That meant:
1. Park all radars, launchers, gen sets, vans and other crap in a field.
2. Park Prime mover in the trees, (if there were trees)
3. Emplace all system equipment. I did our 5 gen sets alone.
4. Ground all equipment.
5. Run power and data cables to all system equipment.
6. Turn it all on and come up to firing status.

We were only a few people. I had to run all power cables alone. A power cable came on a huge reel. Weighed in excess of 340 pounds and was supposed to be 50 meters long. I needed help getting the spool on the RL-31 cable reel holder, but after that, it was all me. When I was done, I then started on data cables. 50 meters long, in excess of 400 pounds. We moved about every 5-6 hours. If you were not in good shape before a 14 day stay in the field, you were when you got home!

Fry199

A lot of "quick and efficient" is how involved you want to get in the removal before driving away. I have seen many folks use bolt cutters below the dirt. I was going to suggest a post puller but @chucky beat me to that suggestion. :cool: Another idea is finding the official driver and removal tool that looks a lot like a dent puller on steroids.

Me personally, I think I would try to tools. Then whip out the bolt cutters (below ground level please) and drive on. Good copper clad grounding rods are not so expensive.

Minimum in the dirt should be 4 feet.
Thank you sir, so roughly 5 feet would be sufficient. And I'll check put a puller and sounds like a sledge is my best option for going in and maybe water the ground to help 👌

Guyfang

Staff member
I know you know generators in all forms so for the non knowing like myself for me to understand this why dont i have to tie to a ground rod while running a 25 k generator on a bus or motorhome ?
I can not answer that question. I spent 20 years in the Army, and just can tell you what they drove into my head.
I have seen RV's here in Germany grounded. In the last 48 years I have only spent max, 2.5 years in the States. I could only speculate about what goes on there. I have most certainly been shocked as a kid, several times when I grabbed the meal door handle on a RV. Had it been grounded, that would not have happened. And my Godfather did start grounding that RV after his wife got bit.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can not answer that question. I spent 20 years in the Army, and just can tell you what they drove into my head.
I have seen RV's here in Germany grounded. In the last 48 years I have only spent max, 2.5 years in the States. I could only speculate about what goes on there. I have most certainly been shocked as a kid, several times when I grabbed the meal door handle on a RV. Had it been grounded, that would not have happened. And my Godfather did start grounding that RV after his wife got bit.
Im with ya ! see in my mind if there were some kind of a short and i walked up bare footed on damp ground and grabed the metal door handle i see that useing me to find ground but if i walk up in tennis shoes it doesnt and that make me keep going back to the gen being mounted on rubber but i cant explain why but ive burnt hot legs off of the 6/4 stranded over time and lose a leg and ive burnt the same in ground wire coming off the tail with generator engine still running now i would think if i grabed that metal door handle it would try to ground through me in the wet parking lot but it doesnt so maybe thats why they make me drive and them do the electrical stuff lmao !!!!!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easy to make one, if you know someone who has a big lathe. If your interested in making one, I may have a PS article on how to make one.
Or cut a C out of a piece of 1/4 inch flat steel and weld a chain on the top of the C and hook the chain to the high lift and put the C on the rod !

Guyfang

Staff member
ONnly a meter can tell but an old union electrician showed how to get ground when we couldn't driving in dry ground the water and salt made a hell of a difference on the meter when they would test the difference
Depends on where you are at. In the desert, sometimes even salt and water didn't work. We pissed on them sometimes. 250 guys in the unit, that's a lot of water! Later, the ladies cut down the numbers.

In the info book I uploaded, there is several diagrams on how to get a good ground, when it seems like you can't. But like Chucky said, only a meter will tell.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was one of those guys dragging cables. In HAWK ADA, I was for many years in the "Jump, or AFP" platoon. We got kicked out to go to a new site so as to set up our missile system, and when we were operational, the Base platoon, as well as another AFP, (Assault Firing Platoon) could move to our, or another position. We had over watch, to cover their asses. When you roll in, you have 60 min to come up to operational status. That meant:
1. Park all radars, launchers, gen sets, vans and other crap in a field.
2. Park Prime mover in the trees, (if there were trees)
3. Emplace all system equipment. I did our 5 gen sets alone.
4. Ground all equipment.
5. Run power and data cables to all system equipment.
6. Turn it all on and come up to firing status.

We were only a few people. I had to run all power cables alone. A power cable came on a huge reel. Weighed in excess of 340 pounds and was supposed to be 50 meters long. I needed help getting the spool on the RL-31 cable reel holder, but after that, it was all me. When I was done, I then started on data cables. 50 meters long, in excess of 400 pounds. We moved about every 5-6 hours. If you were not in good shape before a 14 day stay in the field, you were when you got home!
That is impressive! Mobile Scudd launchers 30 years before anybody had ever heard of such a thing...

Guyfang

Staff member
This is a picture of, from left to right, ICWAR, (Improved Continues Wave Acquisition Radar) For low to middle elevation targets. HPIR (High Power Illuminator doppler Radar. Also Acquisition ) Middle to high elevation targets. HAWK Launcher with 3 Birds. PCP, (Platoon Command Post) Where the scope dopes sit and decide where to fire someone up) The PCP also har the IFF, Identification Friend or Foe Transceiver. The device that tell you who is going to be shot down.
1635793028313.png
1635794951010.png This is the RAR, ( Pulse Acquisition Radar) Good for High to middle elevation Target detection) No one went near this if it was up and running without grounding!
1635793052981.png This is an OLD, OLD SPL, (Self Propelled Launcher) Long gone, but a monster!

1635793091927.png Missile away! A certain nation in the Middle East established a 98% kill ratio with HAWK.

1635793174812.png Super elevation. Someone is in trouble.

Hawk was around for the Cuban Crises, 30 years don't even get it.

Guyfang

Staff member
The only problem with Tennis shoes keeping you from being bit is this. If the gen set is hot, and you touch it, you should not get bit. BUT, if the gen set is hot, you touch it and have your other hand on anything that is grounded, you are the path to ground. And are in trouble.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll check them out and see if they'll work. Also on my stationary ones I drive the full length rod in to ensure good ground but is that necessary on a quick temporary day or 2 setup? Or will 4 or 5 feet work?
I have had decent success in removing those with a chain wrench and small car floor jack...the one is for trains which is way to much but the other is a standard blue point that's about 2 foot long and grabs like crazy and is easy to control...I leave about 5 to 8 inches of the ground rod above the ground so I can get the jack under the chain wrench...I think the jack I use I got at harbor freight for 50$...small aluminum style that goes about 17 inches high....once you max it out just slide the chain wrench down and repeat...I have done this on my own but is easier with 2 people! 20211101_163751.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
Hell grind a sharp V in the fat end of a pick and a pair of vice grips and if you use the salt water its easy to drive and easy to get out !
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, not always.

When ever I had a "problem soldier" I took him out after duty hours, with a bundle of 9 foot long ground rods. Emplaced my folding chair someplace near, but not to near. Instructed him to start driving the rods. Driving 20 rods in soil that was very rocky, took many hours. Then I instructed him to remove them, as they were a safety hazard. That took much more time then driving them. I don't care how wet the ground is. This took the better part or 8 hours. One or max two applications of that attitude adjustment, was always enough. Of course you had to bring extra sledge hammers. They could use any tool they wanted to pull them, they wanted. Sadly, a slide hammer would not fit over the end of the ground rod after they beat the crap out of the rod.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, not always.

When ever I had a "problem soldier" I took him out after duty hours, with a bundle of 9 foot long ground rods. Emplaced my folding chair someplace near, but not to near. Instructed him to start driving the rods. Driving 20 rods in soil that was very rocky, took many hours. Then I instructed him to remove them, as they were a safety hazard. That took much more time then driving them. I don't care how wet the ground is. This took the better part or 8 hours. One or max two applications of that attitude adjustment, was always enough. Of course you had to bring extra sledge hammers. They could use any tool they wanted to pull them, they wanted. Sadly, a slide hammer would not fit over the end of the ground rod after they beat the crap out of the rod.
We had a machine that did that ground rod work when building powerlines. Basically a jackhammer attached to a sliding platform. Oh so much better than working hard with a hammer of any kind.

Of course, those soldiers in need of "special training" wouldn't have had access to use that tool. :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks