• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailering a deuce

chicklin

There have been a couple threads on here about towing or trailering a deuce. I thought maybe you guys would like to see how my hauler is bringing mine home tomorrow. He's hauling it WITH the firetruck on the trailer, as well. Looks like an enormous load for his truck, but he said he's fine with it when I pointed out the weight. I guess it's his arse and his insurance, but I hope my truck makes it home. What do you guys think?

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hate to have the brakes go out on a hill. That's a LOT of weight.

I saw a dually pickup with a fifth wheel hitch, towing a mini-car carrier trailer, and 5 cars on it. I don't know if these duallys were designed to handle the loads they are carrying....

chicklin

Re: RE: Trailering a deuce

maddawg308 said:
Hate to have the brakes go out on a hill. That's a LOT of weight.

I saw a dually pickup with a fifth wheel hitch, towing a mini-car carrier trailer, and 5 cars on it. I don't know if these duallys were designed to handle the loads they are carrying....
I'd never really thought of a 1 ton dually as a "hauler". I just figured a lot of farmers, horse and catlle people, that sort had them, but I never thought of them as over the road trucks. Really, isn't it just heavier duty brakes, heavier springs, a couple extra tires, maybe a heavier frame? Not quite the same thing as a tractor-trailer or a tow truck/wrecker. If he makes it he makes it, but it would make me nervous.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As someone who does this type of thing for a living, he wouldn't being hauling MY duece on that rig. The trailer can handle the weight, but I believe he will be overweight on his truck as far as gross towing capacity. Hope he doesn't have to hit the brakes hard in a curve.....

chicklin

Offroadfabworks said:
proper balancing and placing of the trucks it will haul ok.
I hope you're right. I've never tried to haul anything like that, so I don't really have a frame of reference, it just seemed like a lot to me. I've always subscribed to the "use something as big or bigger than your load" theory when it comes to hauling.

biodeucel

I dunno, when I read the thread, i was thinkin that the "hauler" was some guy with a older, maybe less powerful semi truck and i was wondering exactly what one of those looked like, and then I saw the picture :shock:
good luck though!!! [thumbzup]

M1075

Good luck in getting your truck home. I know this is at least the second attempt for you. The dodge dually shouldn't have much problem pulling the weight, but I doubt he will be within his rated load. BTW, how much does the firetruck weigh? Is there even enough deck space to get a deuce on there and still be able to use the ramps?

dmetalmiki

what the heck

Well here in U.K. and in the E.E.C. you would NOT get (too) far with THAT SETUP!! as the law states (that) The towing vehicle must not have the total TOWED wieght more than 75% of the towing unit. AND be braked , have a seperate safety breakaway item..with independant braking!! mebbe it's just me but I get " REALLY aprehensive" just looking at that combo. today someone cut me up.."rushing for a gap" and there wasnt one!! with no where to go ...he went under the front bumper of my M62!!..real MESS AND...I stopped ..if I had not or couldnt have...well...DOES THAT bear (even) thinking abouit. Oh and P.S. WHEN TOWING (as I was) I keep to 1750 rpms and just about (a nice steady 30 mph!!(((stoping often to let faster folks by))) 30 mph!?!...(lucky for "him" ..or what?? so...(NOT? if ...WHEN!!) actualy I will post my story and pics folks..

chicklin

M1075 said:
Good luck in getting your truck home. I know this is at least the second attempt for you. The dodge dually shouldn't have much problem pulling the weight, but I doubt he will be within his rated load. BTW, how much does the firetruck weigh? Is there even enough deck space to get a deuce on there and still be able to use the ramps?
Thanks, yes it has been a long ordeal. Funny how having a 1 year-old and a 3 week-old puts a damper on cross-country vehicle recoveries.

He says he's hauled several of these trucks for other people and has dealt with GL before, so I assume he knows what he's getting himself into. As pointed out by others, I have no doubt that he can pull it, but stopping and cornering are a whole 'nother issue.

I will be sure to take pictures of the whole load when (if?) he gets here. I hope the firetruck is still on there.

I've pulled my 19,000 lb. backhoe with a f350 powerstroke, airbags and air assist brakes I was really careful to only do it on flat roads and short runs!!! Good Luck!

I have driven trucks for 30 years and it really gets under my skin when people think i can pull it .But they forget oh i gotta stop it what happens when some young kid or older person or anybody miss judges how fast you are going and they pull out in front of you ? I dont care how good you think your ton truck is you will hurt someone ! I have been there its not worth the risk when you kill someone over a stupid miss judgement they are dead aint no coming back they are dead and its on you shoulders forever . Yes i use to haul big loads with my dually and got them there but one time i nearly hit a car full of (KIDS) they pulled out thinking they had the right of way and that was enough. From then on a ton truck has its place and what your wanting to do is not it . Your truck and trailer are not built for this .But hey its you not me have fun but becareful the life you save may be yours . I just hope none of my Family is on the road around YOU. Please post your route so we can make sure we are not on any roads you are.

chicklin

docfarmall said:
I have driven trucks for 30 years and it really gets under my skin when people think i can pull it .But they forget oh i gotta stop it what happens when some young kid or older person or anybody miss judges how fast you are going and they pull out in front of you ? I dont care how good you think your ton truck is you will hurt someone ! I have been there its not worth the risk when you kill someone over a stupid miss judgement they are dead aint no coming back they are dead and its on you shoulders forever . Yes i use to haul big loads with my dually and got them there but one time i nearly hit a car full of (KIDS) they pulled out thinking they had the right of way and that was enough. From then on a ton truck has its place and what your wanting to do is not it . Your truck and trailer are not built for this .But hey its you not me have fun but becareful the life you save may be yours . I just hope none of my Family is on the road around YOU. Please post your route so we can make sure we are not on any roads you are.
Hey, doc, it ain't my truck. I'm hiring someone to haul my deuce. This is his rig. That's why I posted the question in the first place.

TommyG45

My deuce came in on a flatbed like the one in the picture beinging pulled by a dual wheel F350 diesel. The truck was dragging butt. The driver even mentioned that he was glad he didn't get pulled over for being over weight. Good luck, keep us updated.

RE: Re: RE: Trailering a deuce

I wound not let him close to my trucks . How old is he sounds like some of these (hotshot) kids round here .They dont realize how much weight is there did not wanna upset anyone but thats a good way to get someone hurt. Thats a dot cops prayer answered BIG BUCKS.