• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailering a deuce

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would cancel the shipment pronto. The guy is crazy to make that trip. unsafe at any speed. These people kill me. no wonder the DOT wants to stop people because of idiots like this. a pickup truck is not made for this type of work. just because it can move it does not mean it should. You should hire a shipper with proper equipment and not base your choice simply on the lowest bid. IMHO

chicklin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Trailering a deuce

docfarmall said:
I wound not let him close to my trucks . How old is he sounds like some of these (hotshot) kids round here .They dont realize how much weight is there did not wanna upset anyone but thats a good way to get someone hurt. Thats a dot cops prayer answered BIG BUCKS.
He works for a shipping company, so it's not just some fly-by-night kid, or at least the company is not, anyway. They have insurance. As much as I want to get my truck tomorrow, it's really their problem if things don't work out.

chicklin

Re: RE: Trailering a deuce

SETOYOTA said:
I would cancel the shipment pronto. The guy is crazy to make that trip. unsafe at any speed. These people kill me. no wonder the DOT wants to stop people because of idiots like this. a pickup truck is not made for this type of work. just because it can move it does not mean it should. You should hire a shipper with proper equipment and not base your choice simply on the lowest bid. IMHO
It wasn't the lowest bid. He was selected b/c of the large amount of positive feedback, reputable-looking website and company and the fact that he has hauled these before. I'm not saying I would do it that way, but it's really up to them. They have insurance and we're not talking about a ton of money here.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Trailering a deuce

if he gets stopped by the DOT, The load will not be moved until a proper rig shows up to carry the load. find another shipper for the safety of the driver and your equipment.

chicklin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Trailering a deuce

SETOYOTA said:
if he gets stopped by the DOT, The load will not be moved until a proper rig shows up to carry the load. find another shipper for the safety of the driver and your equipment.
I understand your concern. It's a valid one and that's why I made this post to see what you guys thought. However, it's the shipping company's responsibility to make sure the load is safe. This is the third trucker I've been to (due to cancellations) and they are picking it up tomorrow morning. I'm not about to cancel now.

The guy knows exactly how much it weighs. He said both trucks would be on there, but maybe the firetruck is a local drop-off or something. I don't know. It's their problem until it shows up here.

I just thought it was a huge load and you guys confirmed that. I'l be sure to post a follow-up.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Trailering a deuce

Insurance so what? What about common sense? This guy is putting others at risk. How would you feel if he was in a major accident? Oh hope it goes your way. Probably will but I would not do it. I have been hauling heavy stuff for years and its always best to have the right tool.

I did pull my M8 with my F-350 one time for about 20 miles. One time only i prayed to god to let me get home with it and promised him it would never leave behind that truck again. I made it and never pulled that kind of weight again with that truck. and this guys is moving 2 heavy vehicles Crazy.

chicklin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Trailering a deuce

SETOYOTA said:
Insurance so what? What about common sense? This guy is putting others at risk. How would you feel if he was in a major accident? Oh hope it goes your way. Probably will but I would not do it. I have been hauling heavy stuff for years and its always best to have the right tool.

I did pull my M8 with my F-350 one time for about 20 miles. One time only i prayed to god to let me get home with it and promised him it would never leave behind that truck again. I made it and never pulled that kind of weight again with that truck. and this guys is moving 2 heavy vehicles Crazy.
Agreed, and if it was me, there's no way I would do it. But I'm not going to feel bad about it if he has a wreck. It's their responsibility until it comes off the truck. If I hire a guy to mow my lawn and he cuts someone's foot off b/c he's incompetent, it's not my fault nor would I feel any responsibility.

Not trying to be combative. I asked for it and I do appreciate the input. I probably like to debate too much :)

beaubeau

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Trailering a deuce

CRY,CRY CRY!! Does anyone know what the GVWR is on that rig?until you know the facks, QUIT THE BITCHEN!! I got a 2006 3500 Chevy, GVW combined with 20,000 trl equals 27,000 lbs. That trailer has a higher rating and if the truck is a 4500 model, that brings the weight up considerably. My TT was registered for 80,00lbs, and many times hauledpotatoes loads out of main grossing 130,000., no problem!!??

dm22630

The driver is an idiot.

WAY too much weight for that Dodge. I wouldnt pull that much with my 08 F450 when I had it. It will pull it, but he IS going to break something on HIS truck.

That being said....

He will deliver your deuce fine, but he will be replacing his truck soon if he hauls loads like this often.

Be glad it is finally coming home!

2cents

By the way ----> this PROVES the low bidder is NOT always the best!

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter

130000 0n a 3500? unsafe and not legal and not possible over the road. . I will have to try pulling my T55 with my f350.

chicklin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Trailering a deuce

SETOYOTA said:
130000 0n a 3500? unsafe and not legal and not possible over the road. . I will have to try pulling my T55 with my f350.
He didn't say 130,000 on his 3500, he said 130,000 on his TT. Of course, I don't know what TT means....maybe tow truck? Tractor-trailer? Anyway, it wasn't on his 3500.

Bill W

RE: Re: RE: Trailering a deuce

Lets see
12,000lb deuce, I bet the fire truck is easily 8,000lbs, the trailer 4000lbs and the tow vehicle around 7000lbs , so that 31,000lbs +/- GCWR being pulled by a one ton?? duelly WOW.

chicklin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Trailering a deuce

Bill W said:
Lets see
12,000lb deuce, I bet the fire truck is easily 8,000lbs, the trailer 4000lbs and the tow vehicle around 7000lbs , so that 31,000lbs +/- GCWR being pulled by a one ton?? duelly WOW.
The deuce is probably more like 13,500 (with winch), but yes, that's a lot.

jimmcld

I wonder if, now that you have documented the fact that you know that his load was unsafe, you could be held liable? Would be an interesting point in court.

chicklin

jimmcld said:
I wonder if, now that you have documented the fact that you know that his load was unsafe, you could be held liable? Would be an interesting point in court.
That's a stretch. I haven't documented anything. I said I personally wouldn't do it, but I have ZERO experience in the commercial hauling business. I (nor anyone else here) knows the GVWR of the truck nor how much the fire engine weighs. It is his company, they are liable.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can legally haul a deuce in TN with a 1-ton truck and trailer. He may even be able to get by with the fire truck also. The only limitation is the GVW of the truck and trailer combined but if weighed seperately you can't go over the GVW on either.

rizzo

jimmcld said:
as a mainstay, the trucking company, the driver and the owner of the truck are liable if anything happens. Shippers have been held liable in the past for knowingly loading trucks overweight. I have never heard of them being liable as far as safety goes. probably because that is not the shippers business. it is the carriers business and ultimately the drivers responsibility before he enters public road system to unsure that the load is secure and safe.

before shipping anything make sure you get a insurance certificate from the AGENT showing at least $750k auto liability and enough cargo insurance to cover your property.