• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans. ?

Oasis-3

I helped a friend put a new trans in his M35A2 over the weekend ((he lost 2nd & 3rd)) and every thing went good. BUT now if you don't hold the shifter it will jump out of 3rd and 5th , is there a way to adjust the shifter or shifting forks to fix this? Or do we take the top off the old trans. and try that.
I have all the TM,s on a CD but can not find any info on this shifter adjustment.
Thanks for any help

armytruck63

You could try swapping transmission lids to see if that fixes anything. I don't know about any adjustments.

My deuce sometimes jumps out of fourth gear going downhill. I only found this out when I started mountain driving in the deuce.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
2nd, 3rd, and 5th are kept in gear by small indented (machined) areas on the hub (2 & 3) and on the shaft in the case of 5th. the detents in the cover only hold the fork in the correct position. by 'new' i assume you mean new to that truck?? i.e. used and unknown?? next we need to know if it comes out accelerating or on decel. in the case of your 5th, my money is on decelerating.

tom

RandyMcB

Hi Guys and thanks for the help. The deuce that Oasis-3 ( Cliff) helped to install the tranny in was mine. It was a used trans and yes it pops out of 5th upon decelaration. Third gear seems to jump aroung alot while on and off the throttle, not always jumping out of gear but will rock the shifter back and fourth very hard when getting on and off the pedal. 3rd gear also seems to be hard to get into at times ( about 50 to 65 % of the time) I have found that it will go in easier when I dont use the clucth and shift by correct timing, like in my Semi.
Again thanks for all the great info

RandyMcB

I forgot to add, that it only pops 1/2 way out of 5th when you get off the throttle, but when you get back on the throtle it is 50/50 wheter it will come completely out or remain part way in 5th.

ODdave

m 35 tom, i am very curious to your answer for this 5th gear jumping as i have the same problem along with a deffening noise which i assume to be the trans. please help !!!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thats one of the issues with these trans, they cost SO much. I think od iron might have some. Last I heard, $180 each. Maybe Tom will know of a better source.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There used to be an old shadetree trick we used to do with tractors that were jumping out of gear. We would pull out the shifting rails and weld the old detent hole up. If the detent hole is worn you could sometimes get by with redrilling the detent hole in the same spot but if you wanted to make sure it would hold you'd move the hole a little so the gear would engage more when shifted.

I have no idea if this would work on a deuce or not but it's worked on every tractor I've done it to.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
syncros have nothing to do with staying in gear, only with engaging properly. in this trans there are several methods of keeping it in gear, depending on which gear you are refering to. 1st and rev rely solely on the ball and spring detent in the top cover and the fork to keep the gear in position. 2nd and 3rd rely on the ball and spring when there is no power either + or -, but under load there is a relief in the hub that the syncro hub tries to lock into. if this relief is badly worn or missing it may/will come out of gear. 4th is all ball and spring in top cover, but has no real urge to come out due to location and some luck of design. 5th gear wants to engage further under load due to location and issues of design, but wants to come out under decel, so there is a relief on the front of the main shaft on one side only, for deceleration, so that the hub cannot get past. if this relief is worn it will come out.

tom

Last edited:

Richmond

I have a deuce that comes out of 5th under acceleration, seems everyone else"s is doing the opposite?

jblack6527

So, going by that Tom, could those of us that have the falling out of 5th under decel pull the trans apart and fix that somewhat easily? Or is it just easier to hold it in gear? lol

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
to repair coming out of 5th on decel, there are several factors. i will list them in order of most likely, worn relief on front of mainshaft, worn internal splines on 4/5 syncro hub, badly worn support bearing where mainshaft is in the rear of the input shaft. if all these issues were addressed and you did it yourself you would spend $300 to $350 on new parts if the rest of the trans required no work.

tom

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Thats one of the issues with these trans, they cost SO much. I think od iron might have some. Last I heard, $180 each. Maybe Tom will know of a better source.
200 to 400 would be a real GOOD price if you knew they were in good condition and going to last. shipping 225 lbs is the problem i see.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
There used to be an old shadetree trick we used to do with tractors that were jumping out of gear. We would pull out the shifting rails and weld the old detent hole up. If the detent hole is worn you could sometimes get by with redrilling the detent hole in the same spot but if you wanted to make sure it would hold you'd move the hole a little so the gear would engage more when shifted.

I have no idea if this would work on a deuce or not but it's worked on every tractor I've done it to.
if you mean 'farm tractor' that would have all cog gears, this would certainly be a reasonable way to get a few more years service. things on the 3053 are already about as far engaged as they will go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks