• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case removal/replacing

tommys2patrick

Absolutely Rustystud. I been working for someone else and a paycheck since I was 14 and that don't include field work for local farmers and the usual assortment of odd jobs kids had back then for "extra money". Heck I can even remember asking my dad for permission to get a job. His answer was, " yes as long as I kept up with my work at home and school". Now I choose what to work on, when, where, how long. These last few good years are mine.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also TM 9-2520-246-34-1, page 2-114:
"1. Using chain hoist, lower transmission transfer assembly (1) into stand (2).
2. Tighten four bolts (3), two on each side, to hold transmission transfer assembly (1)
in place on stand (2). Take off chain hoist.
3. Use handle (4) to turn transmission transfer assembly (1) as needed to do procedures.
END OF TASK"

Illustrates the T-case mobile stand.

The complete case with brackets weighs approximately 498 pounds.

Last edited:

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I built a support to go in the cab:
IMG_4799_web.jpgIMG_4797_web.jpgIMG_4800_web.jpgIMG_4104_web.jpgIMG_4106_web.jpg
and used a discarded 55-gallon barrel cart to move the t-case into the garage:
IMG_4122_web.jpg
The support was made of hot-rolled mild steel 3" x 1 1/2" x 3/16" channel and 2" x 3" steel rectangular tube; overall legs 37 1/2" high, feet 24" long, legs set back 5 1/2" from end of foot (on center), top tube support 36" long; I also placed 2" x 3" wood under the feet to help prevent slipping on the cab floor.

To break the front flange nuts loose, I made a bolt-on holder using the truck frame to work against and used a 3:1 gear reduction wrench:
IMG_3999_web.jpg
And for the rear, I set the parking brake tight:
IMG_3993_web.jpg
For tightening the nuts after the job (manual calls for 300-400 ft-lbs), I used the same method.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks