• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Jingle

jime

Sorry to disappoint, but this is NOT a song about a transmission. It's about a high pitched jingle I hear when in motion from the transmission area. It's kinda like some chains clanging together. It's always made the sound, and it's not real loud and can barely be heard over the other sounds. I notice it the most when wearing hearing protection that filters out the lower frequencies. Anything to worry about? Everything seems to function normally.

skinnedknuckles

I once had a high pitched "ringing" Clark transmission in a single axle 5 yard dump truck. As it turns out I pulled it and found , if I remember right , a cracked gear on the countershaft. It cracked radially about half way around the gear and up to the teeth. The engine in front of it was a 8.3 Detroit diesel V-8. Good luck
Paul in Janesville Wis

DieselBob

Just a thought but have you checked the rear engine mounts and transfer case mounts to see if the mount bolts are still tight. If the rubber insulators compress much it would let the bolts and washers jingle from vibration.

rattlecan6104

I had a sound like that once... found out it was a bearing in the T-case that was causing, drained the T-case oil and found more shavings than you can shake a stick at.

BEASTMASTER

i have the same noise in my 5 ton. inside the jackshaft there is a large washer i think it's a grease retainer, but anyway ,the thing is loose and makes a rattling noise. nothing to worry about.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks