• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission noise

sandcobra164

Just make sure you spin the input to the transfer around 2,500 rpm or so to replicate the speed it spins going about 45 mph down the road. You can do that with the trans shifted into 5th and tach sitting on about 2,100 rpm. That's when mine starts whining. You'll probably be disappointed, mine only whines under a load and removing the driveshafts will remove the load so it'll probably be quiet for your test. Mine got somewhat quieter when I drained the old oil and put Non Detergent 40W oil in it but still whines under a load and is quiet when coasting.

welldigger

Just make sure you spin the input to the transfer around 2,500 rpm or so to replicate the speed it spins going about 45 mph down the road. You can do that with the trans shifted into 5th and tach sitting on about 2,100 rpm. That's when mine starts whining. You'll probably be disappointed, mine only whines under a load and removing the driveshafts will remove the load so it'll probably be quiet for your test. Mine got somewhat quieter when I drained the old oil and put Non Detergent 40W oil in it but still whines under a load and is quiet when coasting.
Exactly what my truck does. Also drained and replaced oil with 40w non detergent and Lucas. Helped a bit but still has a whine.

volver

Droped both drive shafts. There is a rattel comming from the parking brake drum. It can be seen flopping around. There is a bit of end play on the rear output shaft. Does not whine at any speed. tryed applying parking brake to make a load but the brake stabalizes the shaft. Pulling transfercase tomorrow.

seabeeut

I had what I thought was a bearing noise until someone told me to recheck the jackshaft bolts.
I found that they were semi tight and that someone in the past had used nylock nuts instead of the deformed locking nuts.
Got the right nuts and changed all the nuts, tightend'em down and the noise went away.
The noise was only in fifth? go figure

volver

Took 2 weeks to pull transfercase, buy parts, have them shipped, buy arbor press, rebuild, paint, reinstall. Cost about $1000. Still whines. LOL.

replaced all bearings. used SKF 6210zz c3 for the low range gear. c3's have larger clearances and a higher rpm rating at 8500rpm. set end play of counter shaft and output shaft to .002in then removed a .003in shim to give them a preload. new gaskets and seals as well from Memphis equipment. filled with 80-90w gear oil and a limited slip aditive from car quest. (says stops gear noise).

My butt dyno says i picked up horses. It also shifts smoother and feels like it operates better. There is less slop in the drive line. when i release the clutch fast there is less of a clunk.

On to the axles i guess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks