• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission- or differential issue?!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks right to me, the torque does not set the bearing preload, the bearing should not be in any bind by doing this otherwise something is wrong.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it is, you probably should replace that flange, it is unlikely none of the threaded holes were damaged.
A little extra time here and you could save allot more work in the future.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also you will need to fab a tool to hold that flange by those threaded holes, do not try to torque it "through" the diff by trying to lock the input shaft etc.
EDIT, of course you would never use an impact on this flange nut removing or installing, beating the crud out of the differential innards is no way to run a railroad.

Last edited:

FMFHMMWV

Also you will need to fab a tool to hold that flange by those threaded holes, do not try to torque it "through" the diff by trying to lock the input shaft etc.
EDIT, of course you would never use an impact on this flange nut removing or installing, beating the crud out of the differential innards is no way to run a railroad.
What if I were to hold the parking brake up and bolt up the brake disc to the flange with all 6 bolts? Then torque it? No stress on the diff or drive shaft? Also the holes looked pretty good. I tapped the threads through and they're nice and clean.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the flange is run "loose" it will damage the splines between the output shaft and the flange, it will also leak and eventually fail.
I would also highly recommend you get Nord Lock washers to use on the flange (6X10mm each shaft) and the hub end of the half shaft (1X3/8")
They are a very effective single use washer, not real cheap but dang well worth it.
166ftlb is really not that much.

FMFHMMWV

If the flange is run "loose" it will damage the splines between the output shaft and the flange, it will also leak and eventually fail.
I would also highly recommend you get Nord Lock washers to use on the flange (6X10mm each shaft) and the hub end of the half shaft (1X3/8")
They are a very effective single use washer, not real cheap but dang well worth it.
166ftlb is really not that much.
Thank you! I got 6 nordlock washers and new 10.9 class bolts. I will torque to 166 when I get a chance. would it be ok to install the 6 bolts and have someone hold the brake while I torque it?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you! I got 6 nordlock washers and new 10.9 class bolts. I will torque to 166 when I get a chance. would it be ok to install the 6 bolts and have someone hold the brake while I torque it?
I don't see why not if it will hold.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks