• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transmission swaps

Should be a direct bolt on - it was an option in 2001-2006 2500HD and 3500 Duramax (6.5?) trucks... and I am sure most of the manuals went into 4x4's although I have seen a few in fleet vehicles. I'm thinking the 205 wil fit. Will try and upload a comparison chart (excel) of the various manual trans options and weights.

Last edited:
GM/ CHEVY use it in a later 90's model. I was very surprised when I first found the truck that had the zf 650 trans in it. did searching and found another and call an uncle (in law) that is GM engineer He said it would work in my 85 chevy suburban and any stock GM transfer case and I would have to move cross member under trans and transfer case most likely..

Not sure if I have the manual Allison someone was looking at listed - but a couple of other 6-8 speed medium transmissions are. HEAVY.

Note: Was not aiming for a freeway truck, but to maintain 55 at peak torque (hills etc) so undoubtedly they will allow a M1008/M1031/M1028/M1010 etc to drive a LOT faster, but at a higher RPM with less power.

I also looked at adding a doubler or Atlas etc (only calculated the ORD doubler as same ratios as ATLAS IIRC) Note not all the ratio's are listed when calculating the transfer case final ratio's - I chose the ones that gave the best continuous steps up. Obviously (for example) in the "off road" mode you could stay in "M" (205 low/Magnum 1:1) for the 3M/2M/1M shifts if you chose.

The OEM tire size was also listed with OEM 4.56 ratio ring and pinion set - topping out at 47mph at 1800rpm, but because of the overdrive 6th gear you will hit 55 at 2100rpm, 65mph at 2480rpm and 75mph at 2850rpm (with the original 4.56 and TH400 in 3rd gear 55MPH = 2650rpm)

The dually choice with Michelin XL's is interesting - essentially met target speed with a low rolling resistance tire for highways with good directional offroad traction (a skinny mud tire works well if there is a hard bottom since higher PSI at the ground), or for floatation on sand / snow / muskeg add a 3" spacer and the outside duals then air down to about 5 PSI. Beads are so stiff on OEM rim widths it is not that hard to keep them on the rim without beadlocks but Staun internal air filled beadlocks could always be added. Siping would be a very good idea as they can get squirrelly on wet pavement like Oregon has.

NOTES: Assumes you have swapped dually front hubs and a Dana 70 dually (ideally HD from a 70's or 80's GM) rear end both with a 77" WMS distance as the OEM dually rims have a 8" backspace (H1's have 7"). I also only used OEM 4.56 for comparison and 4.88/5.13 as I plan to use a High Pinion Dana 70 in the front with a M1028A3 Dana 70HD in the rear. Currently the OEM Dana 60 with DRW hubs forces the use of 1.75" spacers on my junkyard '79 C30's dually (drum) 70HD rear axle in order to match the front WMS.

The total contact patch is then the same as the 46" Baja Claws at about 12PSI. WITHOUT so many extensive suspension mods, driveline and brake stress, and retaining more useful torque at the ground. You can also always reverse directionally mount the second set of XL's for a non-directional pattern. Plus you have 4 spares!

In normal use you'd carry 2 spares as rear duallys on the pavement or gravel getting to your hunting or off-road access road, with the other 2 mounted on the back of a camper or a 2" hitch carrier or in the box or whatever. Dismount the rear outer pair and carry until needed for floatation (I am thinking a rear bumper with dual swingaway tire mounts each able to hold a pair of wheels...) Or only carry one with the other 3 in a follow-on trailer with fuel etc and a RTT aka Turtle's Russian expedition.

Just denying the existance of the box that most people try to think out of... screw the design envelope!

Attachments

Last edited:
I did not have facts on numbers but about what i was guessing. It would work out prefect for a daily driver that hits highway often and will be great for pulling and off road for me.. and should get the fuel mileage to where i want it. It will be different for me I have 4.11 gears it my truck.

Last edited:

badassissimo

Not even going to lie. The chart confused me a lot. Maybe its the time of night but I don't know how to interpret that information to know what to do with it. lol

466Navastar

I believe that 6th gear in a ZF-6 speed is .72.....I have one in my F-350 Super Duty .....2000rpm @ 70mph with 3.73 rear end......a sweet spot

looked up ratios

1st- 5.79
2nd-3.30
3rd- 2.10
4th- 1.31
5th- 1.00
6th- 0.72
rev - 5.23

Last edited:
Hmmm intetresting, all the forward gear ratios are different. GM-vs-Ford models perhaps? Will have to try to find my original info source....

Are you sure there isn't a mixup with the 6S-750 which was introduced as an uprated 6 speed for diesels?

http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/...1/service_portfolio/lcv/6S-750_Spec_Sheet.pdf

EDIT: Looks like I may have scrambled some of the basic data in my first spreadsheet. The ratios's I thought were for the ZF S6-560 seem to actually be for the Dodge Durango's Gertag 238 and possibly also the Dodge Ram's Mercedes Benz G56 (have seen the common wide ratio but also a close ratio version described on the net) ...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks