• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transporting M1070 from Reno, NV to Eastern MT.

monstermog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello folks...just picked up a M1070. I had every intent of driving the truck all the way to Eastern MT. Was wondering if any of you folks know of a RGN or Lowboy in the Reno Area that can transport an HET up to the great state of MT.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you decide to drive it back, I would limit the driving to what is necessary to get home without any extra side trips. Also, when I recover vehicles, they only get started and shut off one time each day and that is equal to the number of days it takes to get home. Cycles (starting and stopping) are usually when something breaks or when you find out it is broken. That point was driven home to me when the starter in my M929 crapped out two weeks after I got home, or after being started about 4 times. If you are on the road, it's better for it to break at a hotel where you can stay temporarily if you need to, then at a fuel station or restaurant where you have to deal with moving to a place you can work on it or getting it towed.

It's a good idea to have someone go with you and to have a chase vehicle. I also have my helper drive the chase vehicle back. I thought about towing it, but if something happened and I creamed the vehicle I picked up, I didn't want to total my chase vehicle in the process. I just figured the extra fuel cost as cheap insurance. If I didn't have a helper, I would tow the chase vehicle.

Good luck.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not again.... Watch for swift drivers....
Or don't block lanes with a dead camouflage truck at night. Didn't the LEO at the scene find the swift driver not at fault ?
I don't see how bashing Swift drivers shows a positive image of SS when they were not at fault.

Jeepsinker

No they didn't find him at fault, but that is just how their law works. Fact of the matter is that he had room to avoid collision and he didn't. That is failure to maintain and he would have been at fault in about any other state. Anyway, this isn't the place to discuss all that.

RAYZER

If you decide to drive it back, I would limit the driving to what is necessary to get home without any extra side trips. Also, when I recover vehicles, they only get started and shut off one time each day and that is equal to the number of days it takes to get home. Cycles (starting and stopping) are usually when something breaks or when you find out it is broken. That point was driven home to me when the starter in my M929 crapped out two weeks after I got home, or after being started about 4 times. If you are on the road, it's better for it to break at a hotel where you can stay temporarily if you need to, then at a fuel station or restaurant where you have to deal with moving to a place you can work on it or getting it towed.

It's a good idea to have someone go with you and to have a chase vehicle. I also have my helper drive the chase vehicle back. I thought about towing it, but if something happened and I creamed the vehicle I picked up, I didn't want to total my chase vehicle in the process. I just figured the extra fuel cost as cheap insurance. If I didn't have a helper, I would tow the chase vehicle.

Good luck.
I have been reduced to a helper.

monstermog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well...I drove it 500 miles in 2+ days of driving...Every time I stopped a Mognonium picture fest would ensue...It was fun talking with the retired VETS and current enlisted men and women. This was the highlight of my 3 days on the road....Fuel wise wasn't too bad...but I had scheduled 4 days and with another 1000 to go I wasn't getting too far too quickly...No breakdowns just faint tranny sender hose leak that appeared just before Fresno. Other than that and the weird uncomfortable seat...It was a pleasant ride. With 100+ heat...it was hot! But nothing terrible. I have nick named it, "Optimus Prime". Very fitting name as I look down on all the semi's cabs as they drive by. Just need one more thing to make it the perfect rig...it's M1000 trailer. This is my 8th purchase of different MV's...but this is the largest one to date. Excitement...CHP motorcycle officers used the center lane to overtake me and another vehicle already beside me...Wow they are lucky...Can't fix stupid....at least they wear helmets...unlike MT. I know your probably wanting pics...

I have a CDL...so I knew I'd havet to go through the scales...so I went through one at about 5mph...then the green dot turned to a RED X...then I heard, "Driver Stop"....UH OH! Officer came over and said one of your front headlights is out...I turned the brights on and it fixed the problem. He gave me a thumbs up and sent me on my way...No hassles...

Quick tidbit...not to get sidetracked but to confirm the military current policy in IRAQ....as of May 2014...All military assets were being taken apart and scrapped/shredded in IRAQ. MRAP's...LMTV...HMTV...HET ect. This came from a current enlisted gentleman who saw with his own eyes this.

So yes...I will have Optimus Prime here soon.

Last edited:

monstermog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did try and do a USHIP thing and the lowest I got was $6600. 1627 miles or so.

Anyways here is a pic. I'll post more photos later.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best camo ever! Blends right in with the green of the post. But honestly, which of us has NOT seen an M1070?

God bless
Tony

PS Congrats on your trk and recovery!

Last edited:

monstermog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HET M1070 Pic

You got a point...If that was camo...HMMM I'd be rich...I'll try again. I'm about 1100 or less miles here. If anybody has a Lowboy headed this way empty...let me know. Cash deal! PM if interested!

Anyways...the Cooler that the person is holding is pretty cool. The bottom is magnetic. I placed two coolers on the large panel between the two front seats with ice and drinks...Anything metal...they won't move. The gentleman I purchased them from has a patent on them and copyright...He even has suction cups for the bottoms for boats and other platforms non metal. Pretty neat...I have more if any of you are interested.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been reduced to a helper.
How about soldier B?

Monstermog, is the ride so bad or hot that you are looking for a ride for the rest of the trip? Has to suck at 100 degrees. Good luck on the rest of the trip.

monstermog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trip was good. Just...Limited on time. The truck drives great and is very comfortable. Yes it was very warm...but I figured since I can why not ship it...besides I'll save the miles on the road for MT. The only problem I noticed was there was a braided hose hanging down from the tranny...which was riding next to the case and was rubbing. It was causing a slight drip which was not fixable on the rode. I did buffer it bit with some rubber to keep it from deteriorating...I'll fix it when I get back. The only thing I would fix now is remove the two seats and fit some nice military air seats...

ke5eua

The trip was good. Just...Limited on time. The truck drives great and is very comfortable. Yes it was very warm...but I figured since I can why not ship it...besides I'll save the miles on the road for MT. The only problem I noticed was there was a braided hose hanging down from the tranny...which was riding next to the case and was rubbing. It was causing a slight drip which was not fixable on the rode. I did buffer it bit with some rubber to keep it from deteriorating...I'll fix it when I get back. The only thing I would fix now is remove the two seats and fit some nice military air seats...
The seats can get comfortable, the adjust knob right in front allows for firmer or softer. Softer it will sink you into the seat. As far as warm, drivers window down, ventilator knob pushed all the way up and locked and on. Close all the vents except for the one pointed on you, medium worked good for me.

I kept nice and comfy going through the heat of south Texas.

Now there are hoses that hang down for the crankcase overfill, although I believe the TM calls it something else and you would usually notice any spillage at idle if the oil was thinning out like I had issues with.

If you can ship it, ship it, just didn't know if she was giving you problems and wanted to save grace and ship her for safety.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks