• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Traveling by rail!!

JCease

While out railfanning a few weeks ago this train came past me!! Boy, was I surprised to see what it was hauling...probably close to 150 MVs!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yeah, that train! It was supposed to be coming here but the wife caught wind of it and objected. Needless to say, the onjections was sustained. There goes the motorpool!

mangus580

Look again kenny, it was headed NORTH to me ;-)

btw.... take a close look at the convoy lights on that wrecker... and how it works with the floods.... Josh can probably send you a high res of it if you want to see more detail...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, my floods are completely different. They're on folding arms that go across the back of the cab. I'll get a pic.

JCease

This train was headed north through a small town in Virginia called Doswell. The train will travel on these tracks up to Washington DC and from there, the possibilities are endless. Most people know about Doswell because it is the home of Kings Dominion amusement park.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, what is RAIL FANNING?

Second, if you look closely, all of these vehicles, including the trailers, have good rubber on them. Probably NG stuff. But you never know...

Kewl pix BTW...

Elwenil

Perhaps shuffling stuff around to the few remaining GL selling points? I thought they were going to cut back on the bases that sold stuff though GL now? Anyone know what the red and white stickers in the windshield signifies? That one Deuce is missing the top and the bed and cab are not painted the same. also some of the generator trailers seem to have been taken apart or had some stuff robbed off them.

Looks to be an extra set of taillamps on that wrecker outboard of the beacons.

JCease

Most of the vehicles looked to be in pretty good condition to me. I am a novice when it comes to knowing a whole lot about military vehicles. And please excuse some of my spelling. The vast majority of vehicles were the Humvees and trailers. I did see one tracked vehicle as well.

Stenciled on the bumper of the Deuce Wrecker were the letters
"VPAS AA" however...the "S" on one truck looks like it might have been a "5".

Attachments

Elwenil

I'm just looking at the overall condition of the vehicles. Some appear to be in good condition but some appear to have very faded paint and/or out dated color schemes. Might just be stuff getting transported to a base for rebuild.

jasonjc

It mite be a unit going to or coming back from training somewhere.
The last time I went to NTC I think we used a few trainsand planes to get there.
When I went I was in a avation unit (helicopters)And were surporting an armor bergade.
There were alot of units or parts of units that go so you get a big mix of equipment.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the high wrecker lights are a exter set of brake/turn signal/ running lights so when the wrecker has a vehicile in tow( like a tractor & trailer) ,the following vehicile will know if the wrecker is going to stop ect., takes the place of tow lights

Prerunner1982

i swear i posted on this earlier... it could be a units equipement returning from deployment, it isnt the right time of year for annual training. when we went to JRTC in Ft Polk, LA our trucks went by barge, which hit a bridge on its way and sent quite a few trucks into the river. One of my trucks got squashed between 2 trucks and ended up with passenger side damage..

rdixiemiller

Rail fanning is where you stand over the rails and cool them down by fanning vigorously.
Actually, it is a hobby of mine. I have been a railroad buff for years, used to sit and watch the afternoon freights go by behind the house when I was a kid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks