• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Traveling by rail!!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Canvas and doors fly off on rail movements. I belive this is a unit going/coming to AT, NTC, or JRTC due to the fact that the hummve with a 101 trailer infront of it is is a SMART-T Sat comms humvee, and there are very few of them, and they are almost a million dollars a copy, and are at the BDE level.. Uncle Sam isnt going to spend lots of $ and time transporting stuff to GL (go look up what a rail car cross country costs, and what you need to do to physically load something on a train. ) There are MSL's on the vehicles, indicating they are heading some where... Dont expect this stuff to show up in GL....

jasonjc

I remeber when I was aat Ft Hood a M-1 (or may be M-2) lost a pice of the armor over the tracks. They had helicopter going up and down the tracks looking for it for days.The armor at lest at that time was classafied.

jason

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jason,

I bet we both spent alot of time out at the stone ramps at Hood loading stuff up for NTC... When were you there? 1997-2001 You should see the new railhead they built now. It's huge and very user friendly...

Low-Tech-Redneck

rdixiemiller said:
Rail fanning is where you stand over the rails and cool them down by fanning vigorously.
Actually, it is a hobby of mine. I have been a railroad buff for years, used to sit and watch the afternoon freights go by behind the house when I was a kid.
Thank God, I thought I was the only person who did that......

Here's my favorite spot, Clifton Forge on the Central Pennsylvania Mainline of the Norfolk Southern (ex-Conrail, ex-PRR)

Once when I was very young, like 5 or 8 I remember a whole train load of tanks going down this line, in recent years, I've only ever seen 1 millitary payload, and it was nothing but those monotinous containers and empty flatbed trailers you see by the hundreds at the DRMO, nothing spectacular

I remember reading somewhere the TM for loading the M35 for rail shipment, and they specificaly say to take down canvases, fold down windshields and other such things, not only so they won't blow off and get lost, but so they reduce the overall height of the freight car plus load. Though, with every domestic class A rail line running those enormous double-stack containers, I can't image clearance is the problem is used to be

Elwenil

Clifton Forge? Clifton Forge where? There's one here in Virginia about 12 miles from me that was a large C&O, Chessie System, CSX, etc, etc, yard and shop over the years. Still run quite a bit of coal though here also. Tons of old train buildings and stuff around Covington and Clifton.

Low-Tech-Redneck

Clifton Forge, PA, it's not even a town, just a country crossroads with a grade crossing and a junkyard. About 45 minutes down the tracks from Altoona

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most canvas falls victim to the speeds rails travel goes...around 75 MPH on good roadbed. It is probably removed and stored in the truck somewheres.

dg

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When we rail loaded at NTC and Hood, all canvas/ humvee doors had to be removed and stowed in a Conex or in the bed of the truck as per Santa Fe's rules.. Guntubes on M1's had to be secured by wire rope, everything chained.... Was quite a production to get the BDE rail loaded....

JCease

There were approximatelt 10 flatcars or so that had containers loaded onto them with some sort of stenciling on them. Unfortunatley I didnt get any pictures of those!! There were some flatcars with DODX reporting marks, but most were from private companies like TTX.
I am glad to know I am not the only crazy one who likes trains and MVs!!!

Desert Rat

DM is a real train nut! He's always wanting to see train videos from my father-in-law who is a RETIRED train nut (Civil Engineer for Maine Central RR). They are two little peas in a pod and then some! I'll have to get this thread for DM. He'll love it!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rdixiemiller,

"I love God and Rail Road trains, Mickey Mantel and ol' John Wayne, I'm a Tenessee Ball and Dallas Cowboy fan."

SO says Charlie Daniels Band...

I love MV's, motorcycles, computers (degree) and I am a gunsmith (degree).

My wife, who handles all our money GAVE me the $$'s for my deuce. God I love her. Don't know WHY she stays with me. She says I make her laugh.

Almost three years ago (after living together for 23 years) we got married... AND I HAVEN'T STOPPED SMILING SINCE. Don't know why...

Last edited:

Low-Tech-Redneck

It runs in my family, my Grandfather was a boilermaker for the Reading railroad, and HIS grandfather was an engineer for them back in the 19th century.

I took a lot of flak from my friends when I told them I had a copy of MS Train Simulator. And I play it regularly too! :D

jasonjc

emmado:
I was there from '91-92 D 227 AVN REGT 1 CAV.
Its funny I loaded a 5 ton M923 with a M105 trailer in Ft Hood.
When I went to pick it up at the rail head in NTC the M105
some how trunned into a MKT???
Had to go back the next day to look for my trailer.
found it half way back behind a broken down M35.
The guys in the duce weren't to happy when I took the trailer and left them
to wait on a wrecker.
Jason

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks