• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trouble titling 5ton in MN

Bulldogg

So I walked into the DMV expecting to title it and walk out well not the deal I had the vin # from GL sale she said its not reconized in MN and said its going to be hard to title it. Well I had the truck for a week now and never got anything when I bought the truck so how do I go about it now?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a clarification for everyone.

When buying vehicles from the US Government, they do not have a title as the government doesn't need one. When the vehicle is transfered to a civilian buyer the Government will issue a Standard Form 97 (SF-97) which is a "Certificate to Obtain Title to a Vehicle". This form is not a title. It is form that states that this is the first transfer of the vehicle after acquisition by the US Government. It allows the buyer to apply for the title.

If buying from GL (a private company), GL is actually the first buyer and the Government issues the SF-97 to GL. GL is a registered dealer in Florida and will "re-assign" the SF-97 to the end buyer. Dealers are allowed to do that.

Once the SF-97 is re-assigned to the end buyer, that buyer is legally required to to obtain title if the vehicle is to be used on the road. Unless the end-buyer is a dealer the SF-97 can not be reassigned to someone else.

Back to GL.

GL charges $60 to handle the SF-97 paperwork. No way around it.

Some states will not accept a SF-97 so for those states GL will issue a Florida title.

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not too far from you. I had trouble titling and registering my first truck, a M35A3 even with the SF97. The state douchebags in st.paul required me to have it inspected for VIN #. Since then I took the advice of a couple good people on here and title/register all my trucks in White Bear Lake MN. Much further to drive than Princeton MN where the ladies don't know their asses from a hole in the ground.

Bulldogg

Yea I'm going to do the SF 97 when I find that dam vin number on the from I had a friend who's dad bought 10 duce and a halfs and I asked at my local DMV what he did she said he had papers from gov liquidation or something like that I said I know what you mean and what I have to do....this is my first truck so I might have alot of dumb questions lol

Bighurt

Yea I'm going to do the SF 97 when I find that dam vin number on the from
I wouldn't trust the paperwork, GL is know for errors. Actually verify the vin on the truck and request the title for that number. If they match no biggy but if they don't you could be in for a world or hurt down the road.

And just because the memory is still fresh and painful, make sure you know what default CC card you use for the SF-97. GL billed a card I canceled, turns out the CC company f'd up my cancellation request (I hate out sourcing) and processed the payment. I never got a bill, or any notice until a collections company called. Turns out after 2 years that $60 earns quite a bit in late fees and interest charges. I don't use Citi anymore, turns out it's in their fine print they aren't required to bill you...

Flyingvan911

He tried to title the wiener mobile but the the bill authorizing the registration of such vehicles by the DMV was veto'd by the governor because there was too much pork in it.

Bulldogg

I cant find that anywhere on the frame all I find is that number behind the steering box that reads 4116 some goofy mark 9304603 or do I put the NL0G1k C52305493 like I said new to this hole thing and want to get it right lol

Gunzy

It will only be stamped into the frame if it has gone through a rebuild. But the C523-05493 is the VIN. Don't use the NL0G1K part.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read CARNAC's 2014 VIN thread before you fill out the paperwork.

mcmullag

I think the SF-97 comes from their AZ office and states something about AZ on it. In my state, any vehicle being titled that has an out of state title needs the VIN verified. You may want to check your state's dmv site to see if they require that. The latest truck I did, I sat for 30 mins at the desk as the person had not done a MV before, they have to force it thru their system. She finally got the woman that had done one for me a month before to come over and help her go thru the computer screens. Regular vehicle VIN's are 17 characters and it seems our 2.5 and 5 tons are much shorter than that. Good luck.

martinwcox

Up until 1981 there was no standard format for VIN's. After that the 17 digit format was introduced. So at the registry if the vehicle is 1981 or older the computer will accept any lenght VIN. After that a short VIN requires a supervisor at the registery to 'overide' the system, I think all they do is change the model year to 1981, input the VIN and then put the correct year back so the Title and Registration is correct.

Here in MA they also have to call the Department of Revenue to accept whatever value you have decided to declare as the price you paid as the Kelly Blue Book normally used for valuation checking is missing our trucks!

Have fun.

Last edited:

Bulldogg

They told me that the other guy had GL paper work whitch I am assuming was the SF-97 and after that it was fine but my DMV is very understanding with all the toys I have purchesed over the years lmao I'll let you all know what happens thanks guys

MO MV man

In Missouri, I did the SF97 and GL provided an AZ title.
When that title arrived, I had a local police officer fill out what is called an ID/OD document for out of state vehicles (can be done at an inspection station, too).
He takes the title in-hand, I show him the VIN, he acknowledges they match and confirms that I am who I am.

The AZ title AND the ID/OD are the key here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks