• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trouble titling 5ton in MN

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
You better check the vin on the frame before you submit for the title (and before requesting an sf97)---or you might be very sorry.

Bulldogg

I looked all over the frame the only number I found don't come close to what dash plate says but its all Greek to me ??? (Iooked behind the starring box that number is weird)

Bulldogg

Hey warthog I have noticed a really faint number just over looked it I'll be scratching it off and then repaint it thanks again warthog appreciation it!!!

joesco

My VIN was no where to be found on my truck frame, so I applied for my SF97 with the VIN on the dash's upside, yes upside data plate. I soon received a very nice email from Catherine at GL, who sent me a pdf file on how to locate my VIN on the frame of my truck. Still no match, so she requested a pic of the upside down data plate which showed the alphanumeric VIN and she accepted that. I am also under the impression, that what you put on SF97 is what goes on the completed SF97, i.e., my M931 did not have a year on the bill of sale or anywhere else on the truck, so I put 1985 on the SF97. Also the value they put on the SF97 was significantly less than what I paid for the truck! Catherine was great to deal with and my SF97 was received within a week. I did have to have the local police come out and complete a VIN verification form. A theory is that some trucks that have had a total rebuild don't have a date of manufacture (year).

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think my 1991 tractor takes the prize. The black plate has 31/0000x, the data plate has 32/0000x with a 94 date and the pmp plate has 33/0000x with the same 94 rebuild date haven't been able to locate a serial on the frame so I went with the black plate. If I find it before I title and register I can just return the sf97 and pay for a new one. Ask me how I know.......:)

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My VIN was no where to be found on my truck frame, so I applied for my SF97 with the VIN on the dash's upside, yes upside data plate. I soon received a very nice email from Catherine at GL, who sent me a pdf file on how to locate my VIN on the frame of my truck. Still no match, so she requested a pic of the upside down data plate which showed the alphanumeric VIN and she accepted that. I am also under the impression, that what you put on SF97 is what goes on the completed SF97, i.e., my M931 did not have a year on the bill of sale or anywhere else on the truck, so I put 1985 on the SF97. Also the value they put on the SF97 was significantly less than what I paid for the truck! Catherine was great to deal with and my SF97 was received within a week. I did have to have the local police come out and complete a VIN verification form. A theory is that some trucks that have had a total rebuild don't have a date of manufacture (year).
They all are lower, I'm guessing that's what GL paid for the truck. Listing their cost rather than your cost on registration/title documents is tax fraud. Be careful there.

joesco

In NH, the DMV / Town Hall based their registration fees and motor vehicle tax on MSRP, not the sale price my bill of sale / invoice. The could not find an M931, but they did find the MSRP on a 1985 AM General M925 at $58k, so they used that for my MV tax / registration fees!

mcmullag

oh, they asked for the bill of sale too, which I had from GL, separate form then the paid invoice. I went in there with a soft sided briefcase full of stuff including registration for my previous 5 ton, same type, to show as an example. I think the amount shown on the SF 97 is what GL paid for it from the guv mint.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most states will add Zeros to the front of the VIN to comply with the 17-digit post-1981 requirement...you don't need to do anything, but at your local DMV just have the DMV rep add zeros to the front of the VIN and it will be OK. I've had this done several times (on a couple of FMVs) with no issues, and even on home-built trailers.

So on your state-issued title (NOT your SF97) the VIN should actually end up reading 00000000C52305493.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most states will add Zeros to the front of the VIN to comply with the 17-digit post-1981 requirement...you don't need to do anything, but at your local DMV just have the DMV rep add zeros to the front of the VIN and it will be OK. I've had this done several times (on a couple of FMVs) with no issues, and even on home-built trailers.

So on your state-issued title (NOT your SF97) the VIN should actually end up reading 00000000C52305493.
Not MN, every single one of my vehicles has the exact number I have on the SF-97 on the title.

Rifleman

Not in Arizona too, the vin on the title is the same as what's stamped into the frame. The biggest problem i had was not with the title, it was with the dam insurance wanting to add zeros to the end of my vin. It seems that their computer system did not like the fact that my truck only has 15 numbers in the vin, so it's computer system added 2 extra zero to the end of my vin.

Problem is when the insurance reports to the state your vin number showing that your truck has insurance, the insurance company's vin number didn't match with what my state had listed as my vin number. So i get a letter in the mail telling me that i am driving a truck without insurance and have 10 days to get insurance on it or they are going to cancel my plates.

What a mess, it took me three different calls to the insurance company to get a correct insurance card, with the correct vin number on it. The insurance company people had to go in and hand override their system to get the computer to stop adding the 2 extra zero's to the end of my vin number.

Bulldogg

OK I think I got a handle on it now. I know what I need just gotta take the paint off the frame and get the number hopefully it matches the plate lol thanks for the help guys. I'm taking all the paper work I get to my DMV.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I Just hope you get someone who knows what they are doing. Otherwise you'll be making an appointment with an inspector 3 months out at a location you don't feel like driving to on a day you can't get off :) Glad my first one was the only problem child so far. Still need to title and register the tractor and wrecker, but I'll be going to White Bear Lake DMV again. They have their shiite together.

Bulldogg

Well I got my title in the mail on Saturday so jacked up and can't wait to get my plates!!! Thanks the laid at GL e mailed me saying that was not the right vin number and she asked to verify it well I did and within a week I had the title! Thanks for the help guys I would have never known what to do. (This is my first MV from GL but not the last)

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will only be stamped into the frame if it has gone through a rebuild. But the C523-05493 is the VIN. Don't use the NL0G1K part.
Actually, I did include the USA number on mine and it went through like a hot knife on butter at the SC DMV (It brought the VIN up to 15 characters, which their computer would accept for an older than 1981 vehicle). YMMV and every state is different.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, I did include the USA number on mine and it went through like a hot knife on butter at the SC DMV (It brought the VIN up to 15 characters, which their computer would accept for an older than 1981 vehicle). YMMV and every state is different.
I don't think that's a very good idea.