• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Troubleshooting Horn

Capt.Marion

Have you pulled the horn off and tested just the horn to make sure that it actually works?

If you remove the solenoid from between the trumpets, you can put a 1/4" quick-connect on there and hook it right up to an compressed air supply.

Chevyman_15237

I beat my head against the wall trying to figure out my horn issue...used a dvom quite a bit, long story short, ordered a bunch of new parts and that didnt fix it. A wire in the loom on the front crossmember underneath the radiator was rubbed through the insulation and corroded heavily. Cut the wire, spliced/soldered in a new wire....... POW.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed the new solenoid from White Owl today and connected the 24V and then the ground and instant horn. Tried unplugging the wire at the steering column and still blowing. Ran an separate wire from the steering column lead to the solenoid and it works like a champ. Solenoid was indeed bad but I have a ground issue somewhere between the solenoid and the steering column wire. I cleaned up the new wire routing and that will be it. Don't believe I can find the problem without a major PITA effort. Not happy but it works. :|

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I guess the insulation on deuces it only warranted for 40 years....From your signature line, you are just out of the warranty period, too bad :beer:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My horn quit working, I checked voltage with multimeter and everything checked out. While thinking I used the handle of my BFH and whacked the solenoid a few times, figuring that perhaps some crud got stuck in there....and presto! Horn has been working fine ever since.

Maybe I should hit things with a hammer more often to fix them.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your horn may need dissasembly and cleaning.

There are disks in the horn, that stick.

zout

I suggest getting #1 first - but preference rules you get #2 their just cool and have some class to them.

less fustration - cheaper - mount it on your steering wheel and leave the windshield open.

Just thinkin of something to get you back to your real work.

Attachments

steelandcanvas

Since we seem to have the horn experts here.. :)

My horn works when the engine is cold.. but as things heat up it will not work. Sideline guesses?

I'm guessing the solenoid is bad. My theory: :idea: With the engine warm, it causes the coil in the solenoid to expand just enough to create an open circuit, therefore no magnetic field is created to pull in and actuate the valve. When the motor is cold, the coil is intact and will create that magnetic field. If you have a DVM, you can pull the wires going to the solenoid after the motor is warmed up (when you know it doesn't work) and do a continuity check on the coil. If you get a resistance reading, the coil is good, no reading, bad, replace. Let me know what you come up with. :)

caliber1

Installed the new solenoid from White Owl today and connected the 24V and then the ground and instant horn. Tried unplugging the wire at the steering column and still blowing. Ran an separate wire from the steering column lead to the solenoid and it works like a champ. Solenoid was indeed bad but I have a ground issue somewhere between the solenoid and the steering column wire. I cleaned up the new wire routing and that will be it. Don't believe I can find the problem without a major PITA effort. Not happy but it works. :|
Tin, the wire coming out of the bottom of my steering box had rubbed through and the horn went off at will. Scared the bejeezus out of me in a parking lot one day. Just slathered some liquid electrical tape up on there and haven't had a problem since. And my hearing returned to normal in a few days.

geezer71

I have the same problem in away. My steering box cuts my horn wire, 3rd or 4th time. Is there supposed to be a tube in the steering gear box to protect the horn wire?

Thanx,

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you using new 14 ga. wire? All my problems were between the connector at the bottom of the steering wheel shaft and the solenoid.

F18hornetM

Funny I just checked out my "no" horn issue yesterday. (M813) Then pop in here and find a thread.
What I found on mine was, I have no voltage at the horn solonoid. I used a 24 volt test light and checked both terminals. One should be "hot" its not. So I followed wire #25 back to the circuit breaker on the fire wall. pulled wires off circuit breker and tested with test light. One has voltage[#10]. Plug that one back into breaker and test other pin terminal of breaker. Nothing!! so..bad breaker. Doesn't seem to happen often but I have replaced a few in commercial trucks. Usually wont hold much load, this one is just stuck in the "open" position.
Any ideas who to buy these from? I haven't looked on the net yet. I think 15 amp.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks